Why no to the rem 700?

7MAG

AH enthusiast
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
270
Reaction score
315
Location
United States
Media
18
Why don’t clients like using the rem 700 for DG? I understand the perspective of push feed rifles. However, the likeliness of a malfunction is very low. An m16 extractor and dual ejectors takes away any extraction issues. I just want to know why more clients don’t use these rifles especially since the likeliness of their lives being on the line is low, especially with a PH.
 
The Rem 700, iconic rifle, great for varmint type hunting ect ruined by poor quality control after sale to its last owner . why modify one with extractors ect to get it to be reliable . There are better options out there one being the HOWA 1500 if you want push feed, better design, better m16 style extractor as std better machining tolerances better all round trigger . have a look at one.
 
Why don’t clients like using the rem 700 for DG? I understand the perspective of push feed rifles. However, the likeliness of a malfunction is very low. An m16 extractor and dual ejectors takes away any extraction issues. I just want to know why more clients don’t use these rifles especially since the likeliness of their lives being on the line is low, especially with a PH.
I have personally had trouble with 2 of them. Sorry not a fan.
 
If you can scrape the money together to do a DG hunt … don’t show up with an action designed to shoot ground squirrels.

Hunting DG is dangerous … not crazy so but there are risks. If you get really unlucky or make a big mistake you can get hurt or get your PH or tracker hurt.

Buy the best DG rifle you can and don’t put your life or your teams life at risk with a stunt or using second best equipment.
 
Sorry I’m just referencing the action

The design isn’t inherently bad. The execution is often poor.

Plunger style ejectors rely on spring tension to eject. In practice, they often fail to eject live rounds when cycled full speed…as you would a dud.

Primary extraction can be weak as the timing of the bolt handle, relative to the cam on the receiver, must be precise…and Remington often messed it up.

on the plus side, it’s very strong and lots of accessories fit it.
 
Ive had a chamber issue on my deer rifle but that's about it really
To me there are so many other options these days. My R8 and my Tikka I find to far superior to anything Remington has ever made.
 
To me there are so many other options these days. My R8 and my Tikka I find to far superior to anything Remington has ever made.
I have looked at tikka as well, however when I bought my M700 I got it for such a good deal it was hard to pass up.
 
I have looked at tikka as well, however when I bought my M700 I got it for such a good deal it was hard to pass up.
My Tikka T3 was $600 on GB.
 
Ive had a chamber issue on my deer rifle but that's about it really
A lot of 700s have this. Remington intermittently used a hammer forging process to chamber barrels and varying thickness recoil lugs to headspace. The result could be wide variations in headspace.

I believe current ones are reamed.
 
A lot of 700s have this. Remington intermittently used a hammer forging process to chamber barrels and varying thickness recoil lugs to headspace. The result could be wide variations in headspace.

I believe current ones are reamed.
Yes, my casings would get stuck in the chamber er and not be able to be released. I replaced the Lug and barrel
 
I would own a 700 if the price was right. Though I wouldn’t take it with me half way around the globe for a hunt, but that’s just my preference and choice. I’m sure there are thousands of 700’s that have successfully hunted in Africa (probably PG much more than DG), but not much money needs to be spent to own a definitively better rifle, so why put all the time and money into a safari to go with the kid that was picked last one the playground. This is MY opinion, it doesn’t bother me if anyone disagrees and it wouldn’t bother me to hunt next to someone using a 700.
 
I would own a 700 if the price was right. Though I wouldn’t take it with me half way around the globe for a hunt, but that’s just my preference and choice. I’m sure there are thousands of 700’s that have successfully hunted in Africa (probably PG much more than DG), but not much money needs to be spent to own a definitively better rifle, so why put all the time and money into a safari to go with the kid that was picked last one the playground. This is MY opinion, it doesn’t bother me if anyone disagrees and it wouldn’t bother me to hunt next to someone using a 700.
For about the same money or a little more get a Win 70 Safari Express. Proven over 100 years, totally reliable and accurate. Dg is just that --dangerous game in every sense of the word. You want the absolute most reliability you can get your hands on. Not just for yourself but for everyone in the party. I've had 700s over the years. Fine for NA except bears but I wouldn't even take one out of the safe for a safari, not even for pg.
My couple pennies.
 
I would own a 700 if the price was right. Though I wouldn’t take it with me half way around the globe for a hunt, but that’s just my preference and choice. I’m sure there are thousands of 700’s that have successfully hunted in Africa (probably PG much more than DG), but not much money needs to be spent to own a definitively better rifle, so why put all the time and money into a safari to go with the kid that was picked last one the playground. This is MY opinion, it doesn’t bother me if anyone disagrees and it wouldn’t bother me to hunt next to someone using a 700.
I got mine for a steal under $500
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,188
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top