Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Tinkering with a cartridge is fun, no doubt there. But, is a lighter bullet in a cartridge that shoots a 40 caliber bullet or greater a practical advantage? Considering what the design is for, does dropping down significantly in weight just try to make the cartridge do what it was never intended to do? I think that within 200 yards for a deer, it's still best to keep with the 400+ grain bullet that the cannon works with for the 50-yard buffalo shot. And, if you are shooting 300 yards, use a different cartridge designed for 300+ yards. Thoughts?

Ive got some 300 gr bullets for my 416 Taylor.. mostly just for practice/fun.. The rifle is set up for DG only (iron sights, 1.5-5x optic, etc).. so I wouldn't be taking any long shots on PG or deer or anything else with it.. I just happened to find a couple of hundred 300gr bullets cheap a few years back, so I picked them up to use as range fodder..

For DG (I built it for buffalo), I strictly feed it 400gr Barnes TSX

It is certainly not intended to be a deer caliber.
Barnes 350 grain TTSX certainly shoots flat enough to do the job for a Deer, Elk or Moose out to 200.
I have much better options at 300 plus for certain.

ps. If I can ever encounter a deer while I'm carrying the 416 Rigby, I'll let you know how it works.

I’m no expert here, but I would think that once you get much past the intended sectional density of the bullets for the cartridge, that you begin walking a very fine line of proper penetration and proper expansion.

I suspect it may become such a fine line that a specific setup may only be good for a limited size critter as well as a limited range (for example not close than 150 yards and not further than 225 yards). With other possible limitations of not able to punch through a shoulder or conversely not expanding on a broadside shot.

Others may have real world experience that tells a different story, and I do not have real world experience with this idea.

That is my thought too. Playing around with the idea brought me to the conclusion that I could shoot a 300gr bullet in the 40cal, but why? If I get within 200 yards, the 400gr bullet will be fine, I think. So the way I see it is that if I choose to carry a 40 Cal on a hunt for plains game, keep shots under 200 yards and stick to the normal loading.

I have a Gun Digest at home, probably from the nineties wherein there is an article about shooting marmota with a .425 Westley Richards. The evil editor:D Ken Warner most probably, had insisted that the proposed article on reduced power lead loads, had to be on ground hog hunting. I will post the edition # and article title after I get home. Currently taking my elderly mother on her Saturday excursion.

It is certainly not intended to be a deer caliber.
Barnes 350 grain TTSX certainly shoots flat enough to do the job for a Deer, Elk or Moose out to 200.
I have much better options at 300 plus for certain.

ps. If I can ever encounter a deer while I'm carrying the 416 Rigby, I'll let you know how it works.
I agree. I like using the above .40's.
I consider my 416's outstanding for moose with the 350 TSX & TTSX. The 350 TTSX at 2500 fps definitely covers 200 yds easily. I consider it my 250 yard moose cartridge. Some like the 300 TSX for moose & bear.
I can say the 350 TSX at a slower 2360 fps has worked well on 2 moose.

The 458 Winchester with the 404 grain Hammer Bullets Shock Hammer at 2300 fps is another easy 200 yard combination.
The same bullet in the 458 Lott at 2500 fps, I consider a comfortable 250 yard moose cartridge.

An expanding projectile has an impact velocity range, within which it expands well.

In general the current generation of "lead-free" projectiles have a higher optimal impact velocity range than current generation lead-projectiles.

Therefore if you want to, or are required to by law or the landowner, to use lead-free projectiles, then you will want the projectile to have a higher impact velocity, than if you fired a lead projectile from the same rifle.

"Lead-free" projectiles are what drives the current trend towards lighter projectiles for caliber.

Why muddy the whether threads with whys? Of course if one is seriously interested, I supposed there could be answers, such as:

1) Caught with the big gun when the small animal walks into the scene;

2) Prefer to take one rifle to countries that tax them;

3) As mentioned it could be bear country, or something similar;

4) Could be a process of building up familiarity or tolerance (or learning that one has neither) for a big bore.

5) Only own one rifle;

6) Spouse wondering that if it will take an elephant, why you need a deer rifle also, and you still waiting for the divorce to clear the courts.

7) Just like to know everything there is to know about one's rifle.

I could see playing around with lighter bullets, where it would seem like a bad idea is if you can't get them to shoot a similar trajectory. If the BCs are significantly different that would happen beyond a certain distance. There can be kludges like rubber tipped bullets that might iron out the differences...

I don't worry too much about modern eco bullets as they can be made to do almost anything. There is a great X for the 30-30. But I would worry about what is available, particularly in Canada. probably some cast options.

Why would you want to hunt moose with a 416 unless you had a grizzly up your ass
Clearly a moose area

20221016_162857.jpg

But I will move from this kinda of forest
20221018_164743.jpg

To this

20221018_090053.jpg

So I think for moose a good 40 Cal would be a good option. But I think about a lighter bullet for the "what if" that the beaver pond creates. lol

I have a Gun Digest at home, probably from the nineties wherein there is an article about shooting marmota with a .425 Westley Richards. The evil editor:D Ken Warner most probably, had insisted that the proposed article on reduced power lead loads, had to be on ground hog hunting. I will post the edition # and article title after I get home. Currently taking my elderly mother on her Saturday excursion.
Just remembered that I needed to look up the above mentioned article. The rifle was actually a .404 Jeffery so … I was almost there with the bullet diameter:
Gun Digest 1994, 48th Ed., M’zee and the Marmota by Rob Lucas.

The article runs from pp.33-8 and is essential reading for anyone who intends to take on the mighty groundhog with a .404 Jeffery Nitro Express:D! Mr Lucas initially proposed a cast bullet whitetail hunt but Mr Warner insisted upon a groundhog hunt.

Last edited:
You just have to keep bragging about that view, don’t you? :D:A Stirring::D Cheers:
Every chance I get!

But, seriously, despite the change in view, I am not sure whether I should use the lighter bullet, or get stick with the standard 400 gr. I keep waffling on how much of an advantage it is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg