Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

I don’t believe in “inherently accurate” cartridges. I do believe in quality machining and physics. A new, cheap 6.5 CM is probably going to be a better shooter than an older, equally “cheap” something else due to advances in tolerances.
Have you hear or read anything about the 6BR or any variant of that cartridge? It is a very inherently accurate cartridge/s. World record set at that. Short powder columns and 30° + shoulder angles do make a difference in accuracy. Shooting the 6BR or variant, once you have you realize just how crazy the accuracy is.

600 yard record 6BRA
1000 yard record 6BRA LG
1000 yard record 300WSM HG (short powder column, 35° shoulder)
Screenshot_20221208_003126_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221208_003546_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221208_003337_Chrome.jpg

Have you hear or read anything about the 6BR or any variant of that cartridge? It is a very inherently accurate cartridge/s. World record set at that. Short powder columns and 30° + shoulder angles do make a difference in accuracy. Shooting the 6BR or variant, once you have you realize just how crazy the accuracy is.

600 yard record 6BRA
1000 yard record 6BRA LG
1000 yard record 300WSM HG (short powder column, 35° shoulder)View attachment 504351View attachment 504352View attachment 504353
Now that is flat out impressive!

Can a 6.5 kill a deer, yes it can. You can also eat chicken noodle soup with a wrench, but should you.

Some observations from a few bourbons down.

View attachment 504346

I don't drink Bourbon or own a Creedmoor, but I can relate to all you said.

600 yard record 6BRA
1000 yard record 6BRA LG
1000 yard record 300WSM HG (short powder column, 35° shoulder)View attachment 504351View attachment 504352View attachment 504353
Amazing! What power scope is used to see that "X" at 1,000 yards?

Amazing! What power scope is used to see that "X" at 1,000 yards?
People use anything from 25 to 80X, the thing about higher power scopes. You pick up mirage, you have to back way off to see the target clearly. Lots of things will come into play with mirage on top of that, heat off the barrel, humidity, how wet the ground is, how hard the sun has been beating on the ground, how hight you are about the ground, and I'm sure atleast another couple dozen conditions.

As far as 1k sounds just remember 10X at 1k is like looking at a target without glass at 100 yards. It is like anything else, shoot a 458Lott and then shoota 375h&h same kind of deal here shoot at 2k and 1k feel much easier.

My friend I advise and take many people on safari. I work hard to make them successful. The one friend who took the 6.5CM, who is an excellent shot and shoots competitively, was the one who followed the most wounded game. African game is tougher and the hunts I do are all very challenging. You can go to South Africa and shoot everything from a nice rest on the truck and you can make that perfect shot placement. When you have climbed many hills, stand on unlevel ground, are out of breath, and get a bit of buck fever you had better have enough gun.
I do most all of my WT hunting and culling here at home with a 5.56. Would I advise that for clients paying to go on a hunt they had saved up for years to accomplish? No.
Sorry I didnt mean to hurt anyone feelings and it seems the CM discussions seem to do that.
Someone talking down to hunting sa again. Was thinking about elephant and buff in zin next year but I’ll just go back to sa.

Haven't had it out to 1k yet but it shoots 1" at 500m. 6.5x47L Scope is 12-42 NF BR
1k_6.5_47_L.jpg

The shooter isn't effeciant at proper bullet placement. They shoot beyond their ability.

No hurt feeling here I assure you. I just ever understand how people can give a recommendation on a particular product/hunt/etc without any personal experience, that's all. Personal experience trumps theory any and every day.
I’m somewhat confused by your statement. I have a 6.5x55 Swede, a 7mm-08 and a 270Win, does that mean I don’t understand the usefulness and limitations of a thin 140 grain bullet traveling between 2800 and 3000fps because I don’t own a 6.5CM? Of course not, it would be absurd to think otherwise. The performance of the 6.5CM is not new to the hunting and shooting communities, its just a new package. The 6.5CM is a modern version of the original 6.5x55 Swede. The old Swede has been used to take Moose in Europe for the last 120 years, but just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. Very few, if anyone on AH would disagree that a 6.5CM using a well-constructed bullet with proper shot placement wouldn’t kill every PG animal in Africa, but only a very small percentage would recommend it. I’m a gun guy and know a lot about firearms, ballistics, and hunting, one of the first things I learned on AH was that there are a lot of people on this site who know a lot more than I do. Instead of shouting “What do you know you don’t even own a CM” you would be wise read, understand, and learn from the observations and recommendations of experienced hunters here on AH. I joined AH in my fifties and posters like Phil Glass, Redleg, Rookhawk, One-day, Velo-Dog, Hunter-Habib, Bob Nelson 35Whelen, IVW and may others have changed the way I hunt and the firearms I use. I don’t agree with everything they post but I pay a lot of attention to what they have to say because they have the knowlage and experience to back up.

I’m somewhat confused by your statement. I have a 6.5x55 Swede, a 7mm-08 and a 270Win, does that mean I don’t understand the usefulness and limitations of a thin 140 grain bullet traveling between 2800 and 3000fps because I don’t own a 6.5CM? Of course not, it would be absurd to think otherwise. The performance of the 6.5CM is not new to the hunting and shooting communities, its just a new package. The 6.5CM is a modern version of the original 6.5x55 Swede. The old Swede has been used to take Moose in Europe for the last 120 years, but just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. Very few, if anyone on AH would disagree that a 6.5CM using a well-constructed bullet with proper shot placement wouldn’t kill every PG animal in Africa, but only a very small percentage would recommend it. I’m a gun guy and know a lot about firearms, ballistics, and hunting, one of the first things I learned on AH was that there are a lot of people on this site who know a lot more than I do. Instead of shouting “What do you know you don’t even own a CM” you would be wise read, understand, and learn from the observations and recommendations of experienced hunters here on AH. I joined AH in my fifties and posters like Phil Glass, Redleg, Rookhawk, One-day, Velo-Dog, Hunter-Habib, Bob Nelson 35Whelen, IVW and may others have changed the way I hunt and the firearms I use. I don’t agree with everything they post but I pay a lot of attention to what they have to say because they have the knowlage and experience to back up.
Very well put.

Someone talking down to hunting sa again. Was thinking about elephant and buff in zin next year but I’ll just go back to sa.
I’d hardly interpret that post as talking down to South Africa, especially since I think he’s referencing the South African hunt he organized. South Africa does have areas that are better suited to long range hunting that other countries simply don’t have. An example being the Karoo, a person could wait for or plan out perfect shot opportunities from perfect shooting platforms on large numbers of blesbok, springbok, black wildebeest, etc at long range. Simply a fact.

I’d hardly interpret that post as talking down to South Africa, especially since I think he’s referencing the South African hunt he organized. South Africa does have areas that are better suited to long range hunting that other countries simply don’t have. An example being the Karoo, a person could wait for or plan out perfect shot opportunities from perfect shooting platforms on large numbers of blesbok, springbok, black wildebeest, etc at long range. Simply a fact.
He did say or you could go to sa and shoot from the truck for better shot placement for using 65cm.

He did say or you could go to sa and shoot from the truck for better shot placement for using 65cm.
And you can! He did write it differently than that.

Well said. I will still take the results over real world, actual use and experience over someone's opinion. Without actual use it's just that, and opinion, supposition, etc. If a guy's never killed anything with a 6.5CM, 7-08, or whatever, then I personally won't give it much credence. YMMV.

In my experience, focus groups pick the name of a new product. The suits lay out a dozen or so names and the one the group likes the best, is anointed. Notice how Creedmoor rolls off the toungue? The aforementioned Lazeroni just sounds like some sort of Italian pasta dish.

Absolutely! Not long ago it seems every name in the arms industry was Valkyrie this, that, or the other :)

Fellow Hunters,

A few years ago I used a Hawaiian Hunting Guide’s rifle, in caliber 6.5 Creedmoor and 140 grain Hornady factory loaded ammunition, with 140 gr lead core, plastic tipped spitzer.
The rifle itself was mass produced junk.
The scope looked like a movie prop from Star Wars.

However, it all was quite accurate and I sacked a decent Polynesian boar for myself, plus a smaller boar at the Guide’s request, for his personal use.
I would go there again if I have the chance.

Nonetheless, I continue to resent the fact that even though my well over 100 year old **6.5x55 is the ballistic twin of the much newer Creedmoor version, our stores here in Alaska have not had ammunition available to fit my little rifle, for 2 years so far.
Meanwhile, there are literally rows of live ammunition in assorted brand packets and fancy boxes, for the 6.5 Creedmoor on retail shelves here.

**It is sad to see how easily influenced the average consumer is.
Oh well, I probably deserved this fate, due to some terrible wrong I have committed, somewhere along life’s road.

Before the present Creedmoor fad, Remington tried this same marketing scam, with their .260 Remington.
Not sure why the .260 failed to become popular while the pretty much identical 6.5 Creedmoor took off like a brush fire.
My best guess is in the advertising, (as already mentioned by Hogpatrol and fourfive8), to include a catchy name.

Anywhooo, much prior to the Creedmoor, back when the .260 Remington was announced, I became nervous about it and began hoarding ammunition and hand loading components for my 6.5x55.
Blah blah blah whatever. LoL

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.
264 Creedmoor sounds even better IMO

I'm working up some .264 Safari Dave Valhalla Magnum wildcats.

That 140g 6.5 mm bullet is going be breaking Mach 6 at the muzzle. The monolithic solids will, literally, be an "unstoppable force".

Tell the rifle companies to stop production for 2023 models, until I work out all of the kinks.

(Please take this as the B.S. that it is)

My wife made me haul furniture all day and I ran out of time to hunt.

Gotta blow off stream somewhere!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.