Who likes the 7X57

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 2.20.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 2.20.12 PM.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: CJW
I have a 7x57 and really like the cartridge.

My rifle (a Remington 700) is not as accurate as I would like (only 3 MOA).

IMO, the cartridge is a little too light for elk, but it would do the job.

Someone mention 7x57? I really like my M.98 which has never let me down!

FbToemNl.jpg
JabbOe0l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could y’all recommend some factory loads that y’all have had success with in 7x57?
I think either Nosler (custom) or Hdy make +P factory loads for 'em from time to time. Some barrel twists will NOT stabilize the 160-170+ grainers (neighbor can shoot the 140s all day long but not the heaviest. I have an AI but yet to try anything over 140. I suspect with a more modern gun and higher V it'll do the trick.) I just used the factory loads to fireform cartridges for the Improved version. 'Just shy of a 7 mag in a short action. Great deer gun, for plains game as well, and for DG if your name happens to be Jamieson, Karamojo, Selous, et. al. Hemmingway preferred his 30-06 (pretty much the same thing-a minor improvement of Paul Mauser's 1895ish creation by Browning in 1903.)

IMG_20191002_201131780~2.jpg
7 AI 140 NP 54 4350.jpg
IMG_20191211_092211878.jpg

I think either Nosler (custom) or Hdy make +P factory loads for 'em from time to time. Some barrel twists will NOT stabilize the 160-170+ grainers (neighbor can shoot the 140s all day long but not the heaviest. I have an AI but yet to try anything over 140. I suspect with a more modern gun and higher V it'll do the trick.) I just used the factory loads to fireform cartridges for the Improved version. 'Just shy of a 7 mag in a short action. Great deer gun, for plains game as well, and for DG if your name happens to be Jamieson, Karamojo, Selous, et. al. Hemmingway preferred his 30-06 (pretty much the same thing-a minor improvement of Paul Mauser's 1895ish creation by Browning in 1903.)
Who built that 7x57ai it shoots like my John van Patten,

Who built that 7x57ai it shoots like my John van Patten,
I believe it was a Montana action, then someone found a beautiful old stock, got it re-barrelled, then did the very poor Win trigger lightening job (filed trigger and failed to relieve an equal amount on the sear-it wouldn't cock/safety was failing so they traded it in on a new gun.) I fixed it, put good glass/rings/bases/trigger/pin/spring on it, handloaded according to PO and it's now a flawless tackdriver!!!) I can see the bbl is coated stainless but the mfr name is obscured by the stock. I think it began in W like Wyatt or similar? Love it and the 257 AI (same case of course) after burning out several 257 Wby barrels. I'd call it Frankenstein, but it's too beautiful. Gun is also quite heavy (the stock,) but that also makes it more accurate.

Last edited:
I have a 7x57 and really like the cartridge.

My rifle (a Remington 700) is not as accurate as I would like (only 3 MOA).

IMO, the cartridge is a little too light for elk, but it would do the job.
Is the bore worn out? Have you tried diff bullet weights? I've had some factory 700s I couldn't wait to get rid of (.350 Rem Mag comes to mind!) lol If the bore is good, maybe a bedding job and aftermarket trigger would do it (and I know the quality of factory ammo is all over the map.) I've seen the cheap PPU and Privi ammo shoot 1" in same and it seems diff bbl mfrs used diff twist rates (making each gun finicky about bullet weight.) Good luck!

I believe it was a Montana action, then someone found a beautiful old stock, got it re-barrelled, then did the very poor Win trigger lightening job (filed trigger and failed to relieve an equal amount on the sear-it wouldn't cock/safety was failing so they traded it in on a new gun.) I fixed it, put good glass/rings/bases/trigger/pin/spring on it, handloaded according to PO and it's now a flawless tackdriver!!!) I can see the bbl is coated stainless but the mfr name is obscured by the stock. I think it began in W like Wyatt or similar? Love it and the 257 AI (same case of course) after burning out several 257 Wby barrels. I'd call it Frankenstein, but it's too beautiful. Gun is also quite heavy (the stock,) but that also makes it more accurate.
Ya great looking stock looks like it handles well to, I've got a few Frankenstein guns my self lol. I've only went to 52 gr 4350 and a 140 in mine plenty for deer.

7x57 is really very popular in South Africa and Namibia. It is the caliber that caused the British soldiers so much pain during the Anglo Boer war. It’s one of those must have cartridges. I have taken plenty small game and my friend from Sacramento took a real good Waterbuck with this cartridge in a model 21 B RNO a few seasons back.

I have always had a great amount of respect for the 7x57 even though I had never owned or used one until recently. I haven't hunted with this rifle yet but it really is easy on the shoulder. The 1904 Portuguese Mauser action doesn't give you many options for scope mounting but this rifle is growing on me.

thumbnail_20211002_160447.jpg

I love the 7x57. Hoping to try it more on game this year.

My first rifle was a "sporterized" Mauser 93 Spanish military rifle. I also had a very nice Ruger nº1 in that caliber.

A nice, all around caliber.

I own two of them and love the calibre.

a 1948 vintage Brno Mod21 that I use with open sights and 175gr Stewart Hi Performers at 2400fps, and

a FN with a 3-9x40 Zeiss scope on, shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions at 2650fps.

I’m currently waiting for a single shot Daniel Fraser to come out of Swaziland to get my hands on…

010. 7x57 FN.jpg

009. 7x57 Brno Mod21.jpg

422.jpg

464.jpg

633.jpg

769.jpg

I own two of them and love the calibre.

a 1948 vintage Brno Mod21 that I use with open sights and 175gr Stewart Hi Performers at 2400fps, and

a FN with a 3-9x40 Zeiss scope on, shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions at 2650fps.

I’m currently waiting for a single shot Daniel Fraser to come out of Swaziland to get my hands on…

View attachment 429601
View attachment 429602
View attachment 429603
View attachment 429604
View attachment 429605
View attachment 429606

Beautiful rifles and pictures.

What kind of performance do you get with those 160 partitions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.