Who has taken a buffalo or Elephant with a Ruger No1?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
The subject of whether to use a Ruger No1 for DG has been kicked around a lot, but what I would like to know is who actually has? This is not an extension of the debate, just looking for who has done it. I took my one and only buff with my 375 H&H, and in my collection of Ruger No1 hunting pics I see about 10 others, plus two hippo and an elephant.

My hunting agent has bought ruger no1 in 375 H&H, specifically for his first buffalo hunt - possibly next year.

What has led him to this decision I dont know.

I held that rifle in the hand, I can say this rifle has some special apeal.

This all that I can say about this subject so far.

I haven't but I was at the range last week and a nice gentleman had a 7x57 no. 1 shooting handloads into nice neat little groups. It had open sights and was a nice little rifle. I can see taking one to Africa.

I was shooting my Ruger 450/400 just today. I installed a quick detach NECG peep sight on it and it shoots great. A low power scope would work interchangeably. I wouldn't feel undergunned on buffalo at all. Especially in light of some of the bolt action failings I've experienced in the past. As for Elephant, I'm not so sure. It seems like a lot of people end up taking more than one shot if the brain shot is missed. And since most ele are taken in thick cover, it would need to be a quick second shot. And I would hate for my PH to kill my Elephant for me.

Last edited:
Ruger No1 416 Rem
400 gr. Swift A-frame 2380fps
3/16/21 Jannie Otto Safaris
1st Buffalo 43"

1st safari, took 2 No.1s .338 win mag and .416 rem mag

KIMG0433.JPG

Farquarsons were popular early in the last century...until reliable bolt actions in large bore calibers came into use (and the double rifle for those who could afford them..).

I see no reason to use single shots on DG hunts today..

Once had a range at BASA (Big Bore Association) here in SA, where you had to start with an empty rifle, load for rounds and shoot 4 shots on a buffalo target in less than 19 seconds, I remember there were only 4 or 5 of us who could do it, and one was a lady with a Ruger No1 in 416 Rigby. They can be reasonably fast if you know how to work them.

Ruger No1 416 Rem
400 gr. Swift A-frame 2380fps
3/16/21 Jannie Otto Safaris
1st Buffalo 43"

1st safari, took 2 No.1s .338 win mag and .416 rem mag

View attachment 412584
That is great to hear Mwag, what a beautiful buff, well done.

Of course both Craig and Brittney took buff with their No1's and Ian Hartford too. And a father and son on this forum, can't remember his name, but they each took a No1 in 375 H&H to Zim with Martin Pieters and got a buff each, a hippo, a cow ele and I think a croc too.

Doubt I'll ever hunt Elephant.
1st buff hunt was with a M70 .375 H&H. Just because.
My upcoming buff hunt will be with a M77 9.3x62mm. Just because.
After that, my next hunt is with my 450/400 #1 just because it's been patiently waiting in line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you