Who has had their trophies tanned in Africa then shipped home?

zip4644

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
Who has had their trophies tanned in Africa then shipped home? I ask because the tannery that my taxidermist wants coppersmith to ship the animals from our first trip to said it would be a year before they could turn our things over to the taxidermist....have a second trip planned in Sept. and don't want to wait that long again....So, if you have done this were you pleased with the results?

I did this for my hunt in Zim about 6-7 years ago. I was hunting with @John Sharp. I used Collette's Taxidermist in Bulawayo. They use the same tanning process as used in the US, so there weren't any issues. I believe Steve Collette also has a location in RSA. http://collettswildlifeartistry.com/

A year is questionable, typically you get dip & pack in about 6 months and finished taxidermy back in a year or so.

I had hides tanned in RSA done by Nylstroom Taxidermy. They did an excellent job, not just my opinion but also that of leather trades people here at home in Canada. If you are shipping home to western Canada be prepared for a long wait though. There is only one airline that caters to that market as far as I know.

I’ve had two experiences with this. First one worked out ok, second resulted in losing very cape in the batch bc they were unmountable.
US tanneries are backed up but there are lots of them out there that can do a good product in 90-120 days

I had my full rhino hide tanned in RSA mainly to reduce the massive weight of the untanned hide. I had concerns and discussed them. It turned out really good! My local taxidermist who did the mount had done others and was very pleased with the results.

He has also made comments about US tanneries being restricted on chemicals they can use. Although the discussion was not completely clear, I took it that the old and considered nasty chemicals may be better for the tanning purposes. I'm sure opinions vary on this.

Your situation in the US is probably different, but I have been burned in Canada twice. In each case, the taxidermist claimed that they didn't trust the tanning and charged me a premium to "restore" them. It ended up being much more expensive than simple dIp and pack. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rugs or shoulder mounts, so I think it is a matter of taxidermists here charging all they can.

I used Collett’s also and they did great work! I Las hides tanned for taxidermy to be done in the states and leather done. Would not hesitate to use them again.

Being Australian taxidermist, it's the only way we can get trophies home. I've had mixed results and now have only 3 tanners I'll trust. Relive Africa or Universal in RSA, or Ingwe in Namibia are all good.

Whatever you do DON'T use Trophaensienste in Windhoek. They destroyed a large bunch of mine and friends capes through negligence. And another recent batch that my client had tanned there against my advice, are all garbage.

Whatever you do DON'T use Trophaensienste in Windhoek.
Totally agree with this, I had two warthogs capes that were less than ideal but my taxidermist managed to salvage them. My PH at the time was almost ready to replace them and he to indicated that the above mentioned taxidermist quality of service was deteriorating

Who has had their trophies tanned in Africa then shipped home? I ask because the tannery that my taxidermist wants coppersmith to ship the animals from our first trip to said it would be a year before they could turn our things over to the taxidermist....have a second trip planned in Sept. and don't want to wait that long again....So, if you have done this were you pleased with the results?
Hi there,
We can help you at Splitting Image Taxidermy.
Our tanning is a 6 to 8 month process from down payment received.
You are welcome to have a look at our website and request a pricelist at https://www.splittingimagetaxidermy.co.za/
Kind Regards,

I live/work in Germany so all my Taxidermy work has been completed in Zim, RSA & Namibia to include atleast twelve (12) flat skins. All quality work IF you do proper homework & lean on past client experiences.

I’ve had one (1) experience w/ tannery over 1-yrs, 2/Zebra flat skins from Nakara (nice tannery) in Namibia & only because, severe draught & land owners were culling ALLOT trophies to recoup some $$ from the hides as the # of animals lost was sadly very high … Mother Nature can be brutal!

@blacks comments & specific to Namibia: nailed it! Christian/Silke @ Ingwe have worked my last 3/orders, personal friends, quality family run business & I visit their Shop each trip. Sadly, the stories are very accurate w/ the other operator …

I‘m currently working w/ Splitting Image, RSA on my Sept 2021 trophies & the Best customer/communication to date, plus, their YouTube videos are brilliant …

Happy Trails

Check with Trophy Solutions in Limpopo,SA if you are hunting there. My last two trips they dip / pack and turn over to shipper in about 100 days. My skins are tanned here by my taxidermists chosen tanner.

I would have everything tan in USA. Except thin skin animals like a jackal. Brought one home and just tear once trying to shave it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg