Who did it better?

Another excellent example of the ol "bait an switch".
What's available to see and judge quality/competency is/can be VERY different from what one receives.

Point in time measurement certainly demonstrates it's failings.
Purchasing the company and it's previous work does not make the current work, nor the workers capable of reproducing the prior quality.

I think the difference in size and quality make it impossible to judge. The steenbok by Dennis looks stunning, but the lighting and contrast are much better than in TCI's photo. Plainly, the Dennis mount image was captured by a much better camera. The photos are so far from comparable that I can't tell which mount is better.

I don't have a business at stake here, so I feel free to say that, without pointing a finger, I doubt one does his business much good on the forum when you get in spats or flame-wars here.

Compare them both to the live one in the bush photo. The TCI one is not even close!

To answer the original post - The Artistry of Wildlife work looks better than TCI and looks closer to the live picture.

A couple more examples of TCI work.

It would be nice if the leather for wallets was cut to the appropriate length so that it would be flat and not wrinkle/warp. Also notice the unfinished edges. These look nothing like the samples they have in their showroom.

View attachment 176356

It would be nice if the wallets were squared off instead of sewn at odd angles. These won't be given to the relatives they were intended for.

View attachment 176358 View attachment 176357

This is an example of the elephant wallet I carry. It lays flat, is stitched well and just shows quality. Not made by TCI.

View attachment 176359

Should the inside lining of belts be spliced, instead of using one continuous piece?

View attachment 176360
View attachment 176361

I decided that I wanted to paint the elephant ears myself. I received four panels. This is the closest to looking like an elephant ear of the four. The others are torn and don't come close to looking like ears. Looks like this one ripped open along the Niger River. Holes where the skin was probably hooked to deflesh or tan. This won't be going up on the wall.

View attachment 176362

Can't speak for others, but this is the type of quality I received from TCI.

@rookhawk Good thread.

The belts in this post reminded me of something.

I was at DSC a couple of years ago and was with someone who had a belt made by TCI and went to their booth (it wasn't @Wheels ). The belt loop that the tail of the belt was supposed to go through was too small, wouldn't fit at all.

The owner of the belt told this to the TCI person (pretty sure it was Cuan, but not positive) and showed him the issue. The resolution was being told to get the loop wet, force the belt through, and stretch it. He said that handmade things often didn't fit. No remorse for a poor job and no offer to fix or exchange.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard a positive story about TCI.

I like comparisons. TCI is typical African taxidermy quality. No shoulder, mostly neck, they can't tan stuff like they do in the USA for some reason. The person that puts it together is paid low wages and is just trying to do his or her job. It is what it is at the end of the day.

Dennis's work is vastly superior.

I guess another thing with big taxidermy studios anywhere be it in Africa or the US- the problem is that you have no idea who is the worker/taxidermist mounting your trophy. In Africa especially where labour is cheap I wouldn't be surprised if some of those studios have dozens of taxidermists working for them. This may explain the huge difference in quality from one piece to another. With small time studios were there is only one taxidermist working and maybe a helper or two- you will probably see less variation in quality as it is the same person doing all the pieces.

P.S. Usually the mounts you see in a show room are the best ones a taxidermist has- i.e. competition pieces and a typical client mount may or may not look like that.

One is my Steenbok from TCI in Bulawayo that was corrected/adjusted after I expressed concerns.

The other is Dennis Harris' work.

Both roughly the same price Net after all costs considered.

TCI is known to be the best taxidermy in Zim. Dennis is one of the best in the States.

(Blue background is TCI)

View attachment 176231 View attachment 176230

IMO night and day - Dennis wins hands down

One picture that is professional quality versus a crappy picture. Two different style mounts, most people prefer the style of mount done by Dennis. All I would say at this point is one photograph is much better and I prefer the style of the mount.

The belts in this post reminded me of something.

I was at DSC a couple of years ago and was with someone who had a belt made by TCI and went to their booth (it wasn't @Wheels ). The belt loop that the tail of the belt was supposed to go through was too small, wouldn't fit at all.

The owner of the belt told this to the TCI person (pretty sure it was Cuan, but not positive) and showed him the issue. The resolution was being told to get the loop wet, force the belt through, and stretch it. He said that handmade things often didn't fit. No remorse for a poor job and no offer to fix or exchange.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard a positive story about TCI.

Here is a review by somebody who has actually been to their shop and looked over the mounts.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tci-in-bulawayo.9507/#post-71234

I have several items made by TCI, gun cases, bag,s etc. and have been very pleased with them. No issues with trophy shipments including a leopard in the height of the leopard mess in Zim a couple of years back. I also have had back hides tanned and a couple of skull mounts done with no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!