AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
So I ended up going down a rabbit hole last week, and next thing you know I’m talking to a gentleman in Turkey who sells beautiful blanks. He told me that he has been dealing with Ralf Martini form 25 years, so I’m guessing most high end builders would purchase blanks straight from a supplier like this gentleman without the need of a middleman.

Does the average custom rifle client buy his own blank, or does the gunsmith generally have some on hand, and the client chooses from his stockpile?

Im wondering if there’s an opportunity to bring some in to possibly pay for one or two blanks for myself.

I’ve never bought a blank. The stock makers I work with generally had a selection on hand. That said, every one of them will machine a blank that you provide.

I always buy my own, have 2 dealers I have worked with and all transaction have gone very smooth. My last blank arrived from Turkey 3 days after I paid for it, no idea how it got here so fast. Roger Vardy in Aus. also has some phenomenal wood and a stellar reputation, his shipping prices are quite reasonable.

So it’s fair to say that the retail market for blanks is fairly limited, as it’s just as easy to buy direct from the supplier?

I bought in blanks as needed for myself and customer rifles but would get an understanding of the type of blank wanted and get numerous pics from my supply outlet for them to make achouce from.

So it’s fair to say that the retail market for blanks is fairly limited, as it’s just as easy to buy direct from the supplier?
Yes, just go direct to the seller Erdem Walnut is who I use, also bought from Roger Vardy a few times. All smooth transactions. Ceicl in Vegas, Fanousi in Dallas, Katre, all good suppliers.

Yes, just go direct to the seller Erdem Walnut is who I use, also bought from Roger Vardy a few times. All smooth transactions. Ceicl in Vegas, Fanousi in Dallas, Katre, all good suppliers.
Erdem is who I am talking with. Beautiful wood is an understatement for their products!

Erdem is who I am talking with. Beautiful wood is an understatement for their products!
Oguz is as honest as they come, and I have dealt with him several times and all transactions went very smooth. Last 2 times I paid him by Western Union and that was a breeze.

Oguz is as honest as they come, and I have dealt with him several times and all transactions went very smooth. Last 2 times I paid him by Western Union and that was a breeze.
What does shipping cost on a full length rifle blank?

What is his contact info. If uou can share it please.
Krish

Over the years I have bought many blanks for my rifles/shotguns. Only once had a gunmaker recommend a blank, and he swapped a piece of Tessier French for some California Engligh walnut. A big upgrade at no extra cost.

CustomFox16-3.JPG

So I ended up going down a rabbit hole last week, and next thing you know I’m talking to a gentleman in Turkey who sells beautiful blanks. He told me that he has been dealing with Ralf Martini form 25 years, so I’m guessing most high end builders would purchase blanks straight from a supplier like this gentleman without the need of a middleman.

Does the average custom rifle client buy his own blank, or does the gunsmith generally have some on hand, and the client chooses from his stockpile?

Im wondering if there’s an opportunity to bring some in to possibly pay for one or two blanks for myself.

Generally, unless you are a master gunsmith yourself, you want to leave the buying of blanks to the experts. That doesn't mean your gunsmith won't give you A-B-C choices, it just means he looked at the blanks closely to ensure they do not have mineralization in the wrong spots, potential voids, and that the grain is straight but running diagonally down through the wrist of the stock.

Put another way, a master knows exactly where a stock blank must be pedestrian and straight grained and where it can be exhibition quality with glorious burl or marble caking. The average client does not know the difference between a worthless log and a $10,000 blank, because they literally could be adjacent slabs in the same grubbed root of a walnut tree.

What does shipping cost on a full length rifle blank?

What is his contact info. If you can share it please.
Krish
Doug,
I honestly do not remember what the shipping costs were, but if they were not reasonable, I would not have bought from him.
Krish,
Look up Erdem Walnut, he also has a Facebook page if you have an account not sure if it is ok for me to post his website link on this forum.

Doug,
I honestly do not remember what the shipping costs were, but if they were not reasonable, I would not have bought from him.
Krish,
Look up Erdem Walnut, he also has a Facebook page if you have an account not sure if it is ok for me to post his website link on this forum.
Thank you.
Krish

5A4D4DBD-120B-4BF1-A1AB-18AB77CAD586.jpeg
1883F0F2-1184-4FA1-9861-982EBEE2DDB4.jpeg
I recently bought two blanks that I liked this ones going to end up a 275 rigby and this one will be a 404 rimless NE.
92344874-3644-4014-B272-AFA605509D28.jpeg
I know what I like and my smith is as sharp as they come so I got his blessing on grain before I paid.
6C54F50E-78B9-4748-94DE-90ACDF6DFED5.jpeg

Buy my own, last a stick of bastogne from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas
I bought a grade 8 blank from them of English Walnut to replace my cracked stock on my John Rigby in 275 Rigby caliber. Great people to do business with. My gun smith is hand carving the blank for this gun. I will be posting pictures once back in my hands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg