Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia
Simple question:

With the COVID-19 pandemic in full swing and new strains seemingly developing as this is typed...who thinks it’s safe to travel and hunt Africa this year?

I myself am torn between going and staying home and just want to get my fellow hunters opinions.

If the planes are flying I'm going. Ive got 2 trips planned this year, one being a carryover from last year. Planning on leaving for the first one April 30.

I'm not one bit concerned. I intend to stick to the plan.

I’m going if I have received the vaccine or not. Have Covid test lined up. Set to depart May 28 and don’t return til June 27. It’s my 58th birthday trip and I am going to have a all out Safari with Gerrit at Bos en Dal. Only way I am not going is if they stop flying.

Simple question:

With the COVID-19 pandemic in full swing and new strains seemingly developing as this is typed...who thinks it’s safe to travel and hunt Africa this year?

I myself am torn between going and staying home and just want to get my fellow hunters opinions.
I am going in July to Waterberg Mountains to hunt Buffalo with Tsala. So excited to go on my second safari!!!

Treatments for the virus seem to be pretty good these days. I might prefer them to the vaccine.

The vaccine will probably be required for air travel before long.

As long as the planes fly, I plan to be on it.

Mike’s place in Zambia in August - provided I can get there from here. It is currently a very expensive three-day ”flight.”

Mike’s place in Zambia in August - provided I can get there from here. It is currently a very expensive three-day ”flight.”

Yep, that it is. I would love to go to Mike’s place too, but three days on a plane one way and $4300+ not happening.

If I am able to go I am going, but my trip is in September to Zimbabwe so still a ways out. I think we have to go on these trips to make things normal for ourselves or normal will never return.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go to Namibia the 7 day covid test is very reasonable and my PH there said all went smooth with Ethiopian airways and flights after hunting resumed there this year. If I can get a schedule from work and there are openings I will try to book a shorter notice hunt there. South Africa’s 72 hour test is doable as well, but a little more difficult. I nearly got stuck in South Africa in March, but I don’t think unplanned shut downs or shut downs at all (in USA or Africa) are going to happen again. Even after what happened to me, I still want to go back.

Last edited:
Just curious what does this itinerary look like? I (incorrectly) thought it would be as simple as Washington DC to Addis Ababa to Lusaka on Ethiopian airways.

Scheduled for Botswana in June if I've gotten vaccine and Covid reasonably controlled Have August as a back up I guarantee you that you dont want to catch anything worse than a cold and be forced to seek 3rd world treatment for Covid respiratory issues

We are trying to iron out flights now for April 4th-10th. Pretty hesitant that quarantine requirements will be worst upon return (currently Texas has no requirements and cdc says 3 days with test) but can’t afford forced 2 weeks out of work if changes.
Thinking may have travel agent look into flights for me and after last years canceled hunt I’m certainly buying insurance this time. Any tips on protecting the $2-3000 on flights if things change?

Just curious what does this itinerary look like? I (incorrectly) thought it would be as simple as Washington DC to Addis Ababa to Lusaka on Ethiopian airways.
Austin - Newark - Lome', Togo - Addis - Lusaka = Three frigging days and 4K+ for steerage

We are trying to iron out flights now for April 4th-10th. Pretty hesitant that quarantine requirements will be worst upon return (currently Texas has no requirements and cdc says 3 days with test) but can’t afford forced 2 weeks out of work if changes.
Thinking may have travel agent look into flights for me and after last years canceled hunt I’m certainly buying insurance this time. Any tips on protecting the $2-3000 on flights if things change?
Ask travel agent about refundable tickets or cancellation fees. I had to cancel my planned trip to Cameroon because the tourist visa application was rejected over covid. The cancellation fee on Ethiopian airways was $200.

Simple question:

Why would I not go on safari? I might catch a cold? I’m going no matter what. Tests, masks, etc won’t stop me.
It is a fallacy that there are new strains of any consequence. There is no reason for fear. There were no more deaths in 2020 than 2019 overall so it was all a lie on a macro level. Yes people died. I went to a funeral today that was virus related. This won’t give me a fear complex that stops me from living my life however.
I was the lucky one. I hunted Cameroon in January then took my wife on an anniversary trip to Bora Bora on spring break then had nothing else planned for 2020.
I’m off to hunt the EC again in July and I can’t wait. Blue Duiker, Oribi, Nyala, Bushpig, etc are on the list!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,