Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
IMG_6203.jpeg
IMG_6200.jpeg
IMG_6176.jpeg

Hello my fellow hunters. I hope this thread finds you well. @Velo Dog finally gave in and made the long flight to the historic Northern Virginia so I just had to take him to hunt Whitetails.

My home is surrounded by open flat farmland infused with long strips of woods & thick brush with the occasional pocket of deeper woods, creek bottoms, and plenty of thicket for good deer bedding.

After a couple to a few attempts with no success and on Dad’s last day to hunt, we decided we would not be waiting for the biggest monster giant buck that most would want on their wall.

Right at day break we found ourselves sitting inside a strip of brush overlooking a pond just outside of a known bedding area. Within what seemed like a short period of time, a big healthy doe presented herself across the pond at about 200 yds. Dad already had the Remington 700 chambered in 6.5 creedmore up on the shooting sticks. Unfortunately the wind had switched and she was on high alert due to smelling us. Once the wind switched back to our favor after what seemed like an eternity, she went to feeding on the forage and quartered away. The shot rang out with a loud bang dropping her where she stands. Moments later deer(another doe or two plus a spike) were already walking through the thicket like they didn’t even care about the commotion and moved on out of our sight. Dad got up and took a few steps further into our hide to take a leak. And as soon as he did, this buck came walking up the thicket right at us while Dad was watering the bushes with no rifle and his back to the deer. Dad knew what was going on as soon as he turned around and saw me pointing and trying to whisper to him “deer right here” as I held up the Winchester lever action 30-30. Dad crawled over to me to prevent spooking the buck at 12-14 yds and crawled up behind the rifle. The buck was looking right at us when Dad finally got a shot off dumping the deer like a sack of rocks. The rest is history.

The rest of our thanksgiving day consisted of plenty of laughs, plenty of thanksgiving food, and some great memories.

Thanks for reading, allowing me to share, and @Velo Dog for the awesome memories

What a great story (and an awesome mustache) :LOL:! Thank you for sharing. Hunting with your father and being able to take a buck by "old school style" with a lever action 30-30 makes this an unforgettable trophy hunt experience. As hunters, we have so much to be thankful for and this is a good example.

Safe hunting

View attachment 571188View attachment 571189View attachment 571190

Hello my fellow hunters. I hope this thread finds you well. @Velo Dog finally gave in and made the long flight to the historic Northern Virginia so I just had to take him to hunt Whitetails.

My home is surrounded by open flat farmland infused with long strips of woods & thick brush with the occasional pocket of deeper woods, creek bottoms, and plenty of thicket for good deer bedding.

After a couple to a few attempts with no success and on Dad’s last day to hunt, we decided we would not be waiting for the biggest monster giant buck that most would want on their wall.

Right at day break we found ourselves sitting inside a strip of brush overlooking a pond just outside of a known bedding area. Within what seemed like a short period of time, a big healthy doe presented herself across the pond at about 200 yds. Dad already had the Remington 700 chambered in 6.5 creedmore up on the shooting sticks. Unfortunately the wind had switched and she was on high alert due to smelling us. Once the wind switched back to our favor after what seemed like an eternity, she went to feeding on the forage and quartered away. The shot rang out with a loud bang dropping her where she stands. Moments later deer(another doe or two plus a spike) were already walking through the thicket like they didn’t even care about the commotion and moved on out of our sight. Dad got up and took a few steps further into our hide to take a leak. And as soon as he did, this buck came walking up the thicket right at us while Dad was watering the bushes with no rifle and his back to the deer. Dad knew what was going on as soon as he turned around and saw me pointing and trying to whisper to him “deer right here” as I held up the Winchester lever action 30-30. Dad crawled over to me to prevent spooking the buck at 12-14 yds and crawled up behind the rifle. The buck was looking right at us when Dad finally got a shot off dumping the deer like a sack of rocks. The rest is history.

The rest of our thanksgiving day consisted of plenty of laughs, plenty of thanksgiving food, and some great memories.

Thanks for reading, allowing me to share, and @Velo Dog for the awesome memories
Danny,

You turned out extremely well, in spite of your oddball father.:ROFLMAO:
I could not have asked for a better son.
Thanks again for being my PH, you ruled.
And building a house slap bang in the middle of excellent deer and turkey habitat obviously has kept your freezers full, your stewpot bubbling and your walls festooned with pleasant memories.

As mentioned before, Kelley & me had a great time.
We will return someday.
Thanks again.

Cheers Homey,
Your antiquated old Pops.

PS:
I tried to add pictures here but nothing happened.
All readers please forgive me if they later show up in some disorganized order.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you