White Flanked Impala Hide Nightmare!!

Hunt4Him

AH member
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
20
Location
Washington State
Media
1
Member of
Sci, Rocky Mountain Elk, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
US-(Wa, Ak, Id, Or, Mt, Tx, Nm), Rsa, Canada
I shot this impala 2 years ago in 2024. The taxidermist in Eastern Cape of South Africa said the hide is ruined. I was with the outfitter so I witnessed the care he took of the hide.
I went with him in 2022 and he said my son's Saddleback Impala hide was ruined and had to paint it to look like a Saddleback!
I should have learned my lesson then.
I'm searching for a replacement hide or an affordable cull hunt to replace it. Unfortunately, the cost for Whiteflanked has doubled. This was the completion of my Impala slam and they're all shoulder mounted so I really don't want a Euro mount.
Any recommendations or knowledge of an affordable cull hunt would be appreciated!
1307.jpg
 
I shot this impala 2 years ago in 2024. The taxidermist in Eastern Cape of South Africa said the hide is ruined. I was with the outfitter so I witnessed the care he took of the hide.
I went with him in 2022 and he said my son's Saddleback Impala hide was ruined and had to paint it to look like a Saddleback!
I should have learned my lesson then.
I'm searching for a replacement hide or an affordable cull hunt to replace it. Unfortunately, the cost for Whiteflanked has doubled. This was the completion of my Impala slam and they're all shoulder mounted so I really don't want a Euro mount.
Any recommendations or knowledge of an affordable cull hunt would be appreciated!
View attachment 779808
Ps. I'm returning in July of 2027
 
When I received my Impala from a South African Taxidermist it too had a less desirable cape than original. I was told this isn’t uncommon. Makes a BIG difference in your case though since your’s is a specialized variant. Best of luck!
 
When I received my Impala from a South African Taxidermist it too had a less desirable cape than original. I was told this isn’t uncommon. Makes a BIG difference in your case though since your’s is a specialized variant. Best of luck!
He told me mine was totally ruined he can't do anything with it. I just need to do a Euro mount but I don't want to accept that. Especially because all three other color variants are shoulder mounts. However, I may have to if I can't find one without paying $3500+ for just a cull hunt.
 
Did the taxidermist say what was wrong with the skin? Did he try and blame the outfitter even though you saw the quality of the care or did he blame the tannery?
What taxidermist? Understand if you don’t want to out him.
 
Did the taxidermist say what was wrong with the skin? Did he try and blame the outfitter even though you saw the quality of the care or did he blame the tannery?
What taxidermist? Understand if you don’t want to out him.
He said it had sluffed off a bunch if the hair. Yes he blamed the outfitter. I brought a group that shot 30 animals. All of them went with a different taxidermist. Zero issues. I checked references and zero issues on his hides over the last 5 years. This taxidermist is so big apparently customer service isn't a priority!
I've run a business for 25 years I would never treat my customer like this. Whether it was my fault or not I'd still help take care of the problem so my customers left satisfied.
 
He said it had sluffed off a bunch if the hair. Yes he blamed the outfitter. I brought a group that shot 30 animals. All of them went with a different taxidermist. Zero issues. I checked references and zero issues on his hides over the last 5 years. This taxidermist is so big apparently customer service isn't a priority!
I've run a business for 25 years I would never treat my customer like this. Whether it was my fault or not I'd still help take care of the problem so my customers left satisfied.
I shot a steenbok in the EC, it had a substantial hole in it. Too big for a full body mount like I wanted. My taxidermist and outfitter went out and shot me another for the skin. They asked if it would be okay and I had no issues with it. That’s how to properly treat a client I’m my opinion.
 
There is only one Taxidermy operation in Africa I would ever use!
I have stuff at my taxidermist since 2021 that still isn't done!
The stuffI took in Uganda in Feburary and what I'll take in Sept in Tanzania will go to a different taxidermist! If that gets done before the mounts I have at my original taxidermist I will pickup
what he hasn't mounted and he will be done. Hope he has his liability insurance paid!
 
I shot a steenbok in the EC, it had a substantial hole in it. Too big for a full body mount like I wanted. My taxidermist and outfitter went out and shot me another for the skin. They asked if it would be okay and I had no issues with it. That’s how to properly treat a client I’m my opinion.
I thought this is what he would do. Unfortunately, the outfitter instead of the taxidermist is doing every he can to find someone he can either get a cull hunt with or a hide from.
 
There is only one Taxidermy operation in Africa I would ever use!
I have stuff at my taxidermist since 2021 that still isn't done!
The stuffI took in Uganda in Feburary and what I'll take in Sept in Tanzania will go to a different taxidermist! If that gets done before the mounts I have at my original taxidermist I will pickup
what he hasn't mounted and he will be done. Hope he has his liability insurance paid!
Yeah that's just wrong!!!
 
Of course there is a substantial difference in the “worth” of a steenbok and a white flanked impala.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,357
Members
169,531
Latest member
BeckyFitzs
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top