Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Option 3 - Buffalo, Roan, Warthog...assorted PG.

I like the variety of it all. You can start out looking for one thing and end up hunting something completely different (within budgetary restrictions) and have a great time doing it. Doing most of the hunt on foot would be my plan for something like this.

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
You could do 10 days of tuskless hunting in Zimbabwe for between $11K - $14K (day rate and trophy fee) depending on area and outfit. Still plenty of room to fit some plains game in your budget.
As an example, in Mokore’s Sengwa Research area which has excellent PG you could add eland, kudu, bushbuck, impala, and warthog to tuskless ele and be just under $20K. It is a great area to hunt tuskless, ~80,000 acres and also contains lion, leopard and cape buffalo.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
You could do 10 days of tuskless hunting in Zimbabwe for between $11K - $14K (day rate and trophy fee) depending on area and outfit. Still plenty of room to fit some plains game in your budget.
As an example, in Mokore’s Sengwa Research area which has excellent PG you could add eland, kudu, bushbuck, impala, and warthog to tuskless ele and be just under $20K. It is a great area to hunt tuskless, ~80,000 acres and also contains lion, leopard and cape buffalo.
I've never been to zim. But sure sounds like a place worth a 2nd mortgage and a few months time ! Haha

Justbryan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
You wrote in an earlier thread you were planning to hunt with Limpopo big game safaris. My vote was for lion, if this hunt is as advertised, I think it’s a very unique opportunity for a real lion hunt.
I am planning to hunt with Bossie. Yes, the lion hunt is very cool and why I listed it but he also has a hunt in Zimbabwe at Save Valley for Cape Buffalo. Both are making it hard to choose. The elephant hunt is probably another of my favorites. It looks like the Save Valley may win out.

Justbryan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
My budget is $20,000. This is the number I tell my wife who goes with me as my accountant.

First trip budgeted $6000 on trophy fees and spent $13,000. Second trip budgeted $13,000 and spent $23,000. Third trip budgeting $20,000 but maybe I can do Elephant and Buffalo in Save Valley, Zimbabwe.

Can I drive with PH from Limpopo to Save Valley? Is it a safe drive?

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
That seems like it would be a heck of a long drive. Also, you'd be crossing a border with firearms, which further complicates matters. Maybe have you PH meet you there?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
My budget is $20,000. This is the number I tell my wife who goes with me as my accountant.

First trip budgeted $6000 on trophy fees and spent $13,000. Second trip budgeted $13,000 and spent $23,000. Third trip budgeting $20,000 but maybe I can do Elephant and Buffalo in Save Valley, Zimbabwe.

I wouldn't want to do it. Moreover, Is your PH licensed in Zim? You seem to indicate that he is or has his own operation there. If not, then you will need a locally licensed PH as well.

The more I read your interests, why go to the Limpopo at all?

Justbryan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
I wouldn't want to do it. Moreover, Is your PH licensed in Zim? You seem to indicate that he is or has his own operation there. If not, then you will need a locally licensed PH as well.

The more I read your interests, why go to the Limpopo at all?
I am coming over to your way of thinking. I probably will fly into Victoria area (for wife) and hunt Zimbabwe or Zambia.

I wanted to drop by Limpopo to see a friend and their family but not really wanting to hunt Limpopo for a 3rd time. Will most likely skip South Africa visit.

So, if I go to Victoria area this will help me make my choice. My top wants are represented in the poll above.

Thanks for input. I can probably still stay within my budget.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I am coming over to your way of thinking. I probably will fly into Victoria area (for wife) and hunt Zimbabwe or Zambia.

I wanted to drop by Limpopo to see a friend and their family but not really wanting to hunt Limpopo for a 3rd time. Will most likely skip South Africa visit.

So, if I go to Victoria area this will help me make my choice. My top wants are represented in the poll above.

Thanks for input. I can probably still stay within my budget.

I have hunted the Save Valley. You will enjoy it immensely. I would not attempt to drive across the border with firearms. Heed @Red Leg’s caution and ensure your PH is licensed in Zim. There have been some folks skirting the regs there, I’d hate to see you get caught up in a mess.

Arkansas_Traveler

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, Wyoming
I had to throw in another vote for Elephant, although a big, nasty, ear-torn Dagga Boy buffalo would be second on my list.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Actually none of those as a "package". I go with a few spp. in mind and stay within those numbers or comparable. Usually I calculate the trophy fee (s) plus the daily X days = base cost. Maybe buffalo only hunt in Mozambique, Zambia or Zimbabwe. Or PG only concentrating on tracking/foot hunting for good oryx, eland, kudu, wildebeest, plus maybe some bird shooting and fishing thrown in :) Zimbabwe or Botswana come to mind.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Going through beitbridge is not pleasant. It is a very long process usually. Firearms wouldn't be a headache but the border post is what would put me off. Fly - it is a pleasure compared to hours in the blazing heat.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
That's a tough one..... 3, 4 or 5 would all be awesome. I think the deciding factor for me would be value, location, logistics, etc. Good luck!

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
You can do Cape Buffalo or Tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe under 20K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FabianLeac

Latest profile posts

AGNK wrote on geoff rath's profile.
G’day Geoff,
Mate, I noticed you purchased a rifle from overseas.... can you tell me the procedure of importing a rifle to Australia from a private seller?
Cheers
AGNK
I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian