Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I am thinking about a hunt for 2022 or 2023. These are my top choices. What would you choose? I will pick the country based on budget (hunt cost only $20,000 not including flights, tips, etc.) and availability.

I have been to South Africa two times with many plains game and one cape buffalo. I only have a few plains game I still want.

I'd leave SA (nothing against SA).

For me, DG, either buffalo or elephant.

Since you already have a buff and various pg, I vote for Zimbabwe Elephant or hippo/croc in Zimbabwe.

Some great deals can be had now. In some cases you can do all 3 for not much more than your 20k budget!

Hmmm... speaking strictly from my own perspective and preference, contemplating only my first buffalo hunt, and havent yet fully evovlved in my mind to hunt elephant, nor cats, nor captive bred cats, I would say following:

1. cape buffalo, with roan, and others
2. Night critters with PG
3. Hippo and croc
4. Lechwe in Zambia

If it happens that I develop my interest towards the elephant soon, I would go with no. 2 preference, tuskless ele, after cape buff.

I have no desire to shoot a captive bred lion or a white rhino - that is no criticism of those that have or wish to do so - just of no interest to me.

I have equally zero interest to kill a hippo or croc that has been placed in a stock tank for my shooting pleasure on a game farm. If you are hunting them in their native habitat, then that is a different issue all together. With a Roan included, I assume the hunt would have to be in Zim?

Tuskless would be a great hunt. I have not done one, and likely won't because I enjoy hunting buffalo so much. But it would be a demanding and fulfilling experience.

Zambia should include a bit more than a Lechwe (native sable) for under 20K. I think there is a phenomenal offer still on the table here from one of our sponsors. That is a hunt that I am doing this year.

But I think I would have to go get that second buffalo - you know you want to. ;)

I'll say buf. I have one but i'm thinking about a cow to go with my bull. I've been trying for 3 years to get a warthog and a roan looks interesting.

You wrote in an earlier thread you were planning to hunt with Limpopo big game safaris. My vote was for lion, if this hunt is as advertised, I think it’s a very unique opportunity for a real lion hunt.

You wrote in an earlier thread you were planning to hunt with Limpopo big game safaris. My vote was for lion, if this hunt is as advertised, I think it’s a very unique opportunity for a real lion hunt.
This does look like a really great opportunity to hunt a lion that wasn't released a week before arrival and likely doesn't have a name. It won't make the 20 K budget, but it would easily make 30 K.

I'm thinking when I go again it would be for Bush buck, Sable, Roan, maybe western Buffalo and any of the tiny ten.

Tuskless and lechwe in Zambia but I would definately look into adding a Cape Buffalo and a Zambian sable, they look more like giant sable

. . . Zambia should include a bit more than a Lechwe (native sable) for under 20K. I think there is a phenomenal offer still on the table here from one of our sponsors. . . .. ;)

Not if I can find a flight over and back that only takes 2 days each way.

I voted rhino, for personal reasons.
But I would actually just forget about rhino in reality.
For 20k in trophy fees, I imagine the shipping and taxidermy will be quite high for all the animals. I would probably just stay an extra 2 weeks, shoot more pg and not ship anything back.

Not if I can find a flight over and back that only takes 2 days each way.
But that is your issue - ;)

I actually am looking forward to the flight on Qatar - though not the drive to and particularly from Houston.

I voted rhino, for personal reasons.
But I would actually just forget about rhino in reality.
For 20k in trophy fees, I imagine the shipping and taxidermy will be quite high for all the animals. I would probably just stay an extra 2 weeks, shoot more pg and not ship anything back.
It is significantly less than 20K in trophy fees if that is total hunt cost budget less tips and transportation - particularly considering the daily rates in dangerous game country. And when talking about the tuskless, buff, or rhino, there won't be much in the way of trophy fees left over for a taxidermy problem.

I voted elephant. If you are in decent shape to walk 10 miles plus tracking elephant, that is the most incredible hunting experience in my opinion. I would go to Zimbabwe and would go for a bull hunt unless you have reason to want to do tuskless. You can do a non trophy bull quiet reasonably. Be sure you know whether it will be a traditional tracking hunt or if it will be a night hunt for crop raiders. The experience will likely be fantastic either way, but different. So know what you are signing up for.

I also a would be interested in the Zambia deal.

And have done a couple fantastic night critter hunts with Bossie Mostert. All great fun! All different.

Definitely get out of South Africa if you do a second buffalo.

But elephant;)

Bob

I would go after buff and PG. specifically, I would look into Nyakasnga with Charlton McCallum Safaris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber