Where would you go for a BIG impala and a BIG springbok?

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I love impala and springbok. They are two of the trophies I'll be most excited about hunting when I make my first trip to Africa.

I'm hoping those with experience can tell me where they would go if they wanted to find truly impressive impala and common springbok rams.

Hopefully, it would be the same area. But if not, which two areas?

The other thing I'd like to know is what else you would look for in the areas you specify. For example, let's say the area you recommend for springbok also happens to produce really nice blesbok or gemsbok. Or, the impala hotbed you hunted also had some monster kudu lurking about. I'd love to plan a trip around my top choices and have a shot at a few other outstanding examples during the hunt.

I hope this makes sense. All replies and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. One of my dreams is to take two big impala rams and have their mounts flank my living room fireplace, like bookends.

I dont claim to be an expert on this issue but from what ive seen and read:

I'm not sure you can truly get the best trophy of those two in the same area. Springbok are usually the biggest in eastern cape and impala are biggest generally in Limpopo. The nice part about Limpopo is that you might run into monster kudu as well.

They are pricey for sure but if you want the best trophy Springboks in South Africa they are found in the Northern Cape at Jules of the Karoo Safaris. Julian Theron, the owner, is truly a character and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I have not hunted with them yet but my best friend has and the couple of Springboks that he took there are insane. Plus he has all of the species of Springbok in his area. Check out his website and you'll see what I mean: www.julesofthekaroo.co.za.

For a good chance at an 22" + impala the Thabazimbi area in Limpopo there you will find a whole bunch of good quality game as well. Then for Springbuck the ultimate would be North west Namibia where they regurlaly shoot 17" springbuck. But otherwise in South Africa the Kalahari and then also bag yourself a big gemsbuck and steenbuck.

So my suggestion would be at least a 14 day hunt to allow to drive to the areas or fly and hunt both areas for at least 5 full days.

Like Frederik said, the absolute best for springbok is North West Namibia (Damaraland), where you can also expect exceptional gemsbok, kudu, Hartmann mountain zebra and klipspringer. (if you are lucky, you will also see wild, free roaming desert elephant, lion, leoprd and black rhino, which no Karoo breeding farm can offer).
The absolute best would be East Africa for impala, (but it will not be a normal budget hunt....) but you can get a truely spectacular one in the Limpopo province and I have seen some nice ones from part of the Northern Cape.
(You can also speak to Jerome, their place in north/central Namibia produces some of the best impala in Namibia, and that is close to Damaraland...)

Thanks, all.

I believe I'll be looking into outfitters that operate in Limpopo (particularly Thabazimbi District) and the Northern Cape in RSA. Also, in Namibia, those operating in Damaraland or very near there.

Any suggestions?

Hi Seattesetters

Have you ever been to Africa?

What would be your order of preference? Impala, Springbuck and...?

nsok - This will be my first trip.

A big impala (or two) is probably first on my wish list. I've loved these beautiful animals as long as I can remember...way back to seeing them in the zoo while merely a young boy. Unless I could find really good impala in the same area as really good springbok, I'd most likely go somewhere known for producing excellent impala first and reserve a second trip to hunt springbok in a more desireable location.

As long as I know I'm in prime impala habitat where a 23"+ ram is a possibility, I'm totally fine with taking whatever else the area offers. If it happens to be springbok, great! If not, I'll go back and get my coveted springbok "grand slam" another day.

Other species I'd like to hunt (in order) are gemsbok, kudu (of course), bushbuck, nyala, zebra, mountain and common reedbuck, waterbuck, steenbok, klipspringer and (of course) wart hog. I'm sure there are a few others I'll fall in love with once in Africa, but for now, all these appeal.

Just my advice, enjoy the hunting and forget a little the size. I do not mean you to shoot the first you see...First safari, first time in Africa is a unique experience.

But, if you are looking for monster Impala and Springbuck I think you will have to hunt two diferent areas.

nsok - Thanks for the advice.

I'm not terribly hung up on the size, I just want to know I'm in an area that has historically produced that size so I know the chance is there. It's kind of my way of knowing I've done my homework and I'm in an area known for big impala, which is what i want to hunt. However, I'm sure I'll be ecstatic if I'm lucky enough to take any trophy.

I'm also OK with going to two different areas. From what I gather, the moment I leave Africa, I'll be scheming and planning to get back. Going back for springbok will be the perfect excuse!

I think Jules of Karoo or Karl's suggestion are good for springbok. I have been told Jules of the Karoo is a must visit for springbok hunters!

Impala...easy answer the Limpopo Province...they have 24+ there...a paradise for a impala hunter.

From the hunting pics on his site, Ingo Gladis has some pretty impressive springbok on his property.

Wilsonfontein Hunting Farm

Well seattlesetters why not save up and make a grand trip out of it and support AH outfitters we can help you with good impala on our concessions in the Thabazimbi area and hunt the other species as well on your trip and then fly over to Namibia and Karl for your springbuck and gemsbuck and whatever else finds your fancy.

Between the two places you will be able to have a go at all species on your list.

Hi seattlesetters

I think you got some really good advice from Frederik!

My farm is in the Thabazimbi district and I have been getting some really good impala, but I would have to say for big springbuck you will have to go to the Kalahari.

Here are some impala we took last year:

DSC_0169.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi "seattlesetters" ; i can help you in the Springbok monster ram.

Our farm is in the Eastern Cape, in Kimberley area, in the South of Kalahari deset, maybe the best place in South Africa for Springboks and orix, the two main desert species. The area is plenty of springbok herds, of hundreds of animals, the hunt is a challenge because they see you in the plains from long distances, and the hunt ususally involves long range shooting when there is no option to closer stalking.

Check some springbok rams in our web pare pictures.... The springbok of the Kalahari desert is definitely a MUST if you are looking for the real bigones. The good Kalahari Springbok rams sometimes turn back the tips of the horns in a very distinctive "hook".

To hunt good Impala, i would visit Limpopo, at Spiral Horns Safaris, where you can hunt really huge impala rams. It is gonna be difficult to find both species in the same place.

6243d1299859387-where-would-you-go-big-impala-big-springbok-o0cdxu.jpeg

Best regards
Jose

Attachments

• o0cdxu.jpeg
    o0cdxu.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great advice!

I checked out Julian Theron's website....impressive to say the least. I'll need to do more research but it looks promising.

I also looked at Frederik and Karl's sites....perhaps a trip that could combine both is worth looking into. I could probably break free for close to three weeks....would that allow enough time?

Louis....a couple of those impala rams are precisely what I'm looking for. They are gorgeous! I appreciate the pictures...makes it hard not to get on a plane tomorrow!

Jose - That's the kind of springbok I want on my wall. Thanks for posting the pic!

If I were you seattlesettler, I would set aside at least 2 weeks, don't rush things, and enjoy your hunting vacation...no one likes to feel rushed. Then if you visit two different areas...you will be able to appreciate the differences in terrain and the animals it holds.

If I were you seattlesettler, I would set aside at least 2 weeks, don't rush things, and enjoy your hunting vacation...no one likes to feel rushed. Then if you visit two different areas...you will be able to appreciate the differences in terrain and the animals it holds.
Yes, enysse. Very good advice.

I think I've decided on 10 days if I choose a single outfit, and a bit over two weeks if I choose to hunt two areas/outfitters.

I figure a 10-day hunt/5-7 species with one PH, or 7-day hunts/3-4 species each with two outifts ought to be about right for my first time.

OK. One decision has been made. I will be going for 10 days with a single outfitter and looking at 3 - 5 species.

My goal is to match with a PH who is a good teacher and is willing to teach me about the game and their habits, how to hunt them and how to judge trophies.

I'll look to take a small number of good examples as I hope to learn to be selective and to hunt well.

I'll start with an outfit that either offers good impala (most likely) or really good springbok and be happy with whatever else the country offers.

OK. One decision has been made. I will be going for 10 days with a single outfitter and looking at 3 - 5 species.

My goal is to match with a PH who is a good teacher and is willing to teach me about the game and their habits, how to hunt them and how to judge trophies.

I'll look to take a small number of good examples as I hope to learn to be selective and to hunt well.

I'll start with an outfit that either offers good impala (most likely) or really good springbok and be happy with whatever else the country offers.

Mark,
That is an excellent way of looking at it. I respect any person who respects nature, and who looks forward to learning all about the area and its animals.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg