Where to start?

Most new to Africa hunters start with a plains game (PG) hunt. Not all but most. It's a good way to get started. I say that because once you've been, you'll want to go back. But why start with PG is that you don't have quite the layout of money that you do with a dangerous game (DG) hunt. And it gives you a chance to "get" it.

South Africa and Namibia will offer you great PG hunting for reasonable prices. You'll be able to hunt multiple animals for less than many Alaskan hunts which are for just one animal.

As to which animals you want to go for, I'd recomend looking at the websites of the various outfitters you see here on AH. The websites usually have a "pictures" section where you can become familiarized with the various species and see what stirs your stew.

As for DG, there are so many options depending on what you're after and how fat the wallet may be. Yes Tanzania is a great place to go for both DG and PG, but also very expensive. Zimbabwe also offers great DG hunting and for a much more reasonable price. Then there's Mozambique and the list goes on.

I would strongly recommend attending one of the two big conventions, either Dallas Safari Club or Safari Club Int'l. You can visit with the various outfitters who exhibit there and get a good education on what's offered where and for how much.
I did exactly what Phil suggests in attending the DSC convention so that I could look several outfitters in the eye and get to know them and them to know me. I think you will find that any of the outfitters / PHs on this site would deliver what you want. But, we all have different personalities and finding someone you hit it off with is important as you are going to spend 16 to 18 hours a day with them for your entire hunt.

Oh! I misunderstood. The hunting I most enjoyed was ground hunting whitetails in Wisconsin. No tree stands, no blinds. It felt real, less like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm not a fan of blinds and feeders in the same way I wouldn't want to hunt from a vehicle or at a watering hole in Africa, it's borderline unethical. After some research, I'm think kudu?
Chase,

On my safari we were in the vehicle driving the tracks looking for whatever came up. Once we saw an animal I wanted, we got off and started the stalk. Very exciting and it never felt like we were at an advantage. The truck enabled us to cover more ground. My hunt was cape buffalo and plains game in Zimbabwe. I saw a kudu on the first day but we couldn't get on him and he slipped away. It took until our 10th day to see another kudu. I got him but boy did I have buck fever! It's almost like the kudu meant more to me than the buff. Probably sounds strange.

John

Sorry simon I did not make that real clear at all. I was meaning those two would be 3 or 4 times more then a hunt in SA. With moz being like 3 times more then SA and tanz 4 or more then SA. That is with all the extras from gov. fees and airline tickets to dip/pack and everything by the end of the hunt.
I am not saying Sa or Namibia is better just saying cost does go up and there is good reason why. I just dont know if they would be best for someone newer to hunting and a first trip to Africa was more my point I guess.

When i did my first safari, I decided SA would be my destination. I was still a student and so cost was an important factor to me. The cost of the airline ticket to SA and hunting on offer was best suited to my budget.

I did a lot of searching around online at different outfitters websites looking at what animals where available to hunt and for how much. I decided upon doing a mixed trophy and cull package as it offered more shooting for my money and a few trophy's to take home. I decided that I would hunt for 7 days with 2 days for travel.

I decided I would like to shoot a trophy Impala, Springbok and Warthog. Then 4 cull animals, which I had not shot in my trophy animal list to get the greatest variety of hunting.

Do your research into what animals you might like to hunt as all are different, have different prices and may occur in different areas.

I made a list of outfitters and emailed them explaining my request. 90% of the outfitters got back to me and in the end I settled on the one that had been the most helpful, accommodating to my needs, prices met my budget and who I had a good gut feeling about.

I took my own firearm (.270) and the outfitter helped me fill out the paperwork to do this, provided me with step by step instructions on the process, a few warnings and a map of where things were located at the airports I was travelling through.

The outfitter picked me up at the airport and helped me collect my firearms. I could not afford the cost of having shoulder mounts done, so instead I had my Impala and Springbok as skull mounts and flat skins and then had the Warthogs tucks mounted on shield. This was a fraction of the cost and looks great with no worry of the quality of the mount deteriorating over time.

Also - make sure you take a camera and a ton of pictures! You only get 1 first safari and you will want to remember it!

Welcome to AH, Chase, I see the regulars here have already given you plenty of good advice.

Rifleman I took my first hunt in SA for plains game and had a ball all around. I got hooked on it to be blunt. Save your coins and decide what you want to hunt there is no right or wrong there. Then check out web sites of outfitters. Then keep asking questions here of people who have done this. Last but most important before you put down a deposit speak voice to voice with a satisfied customer of your outfitter. Ask him lots of questions to be sure you are getting what you contract for.

Your first hunt should be in remote dangerous game country on the banks of a famous river. Did I mention Zambia?

Your first hunt should be in remote dangerous game country on the banks of a famous river. Did I mention Zambia?

Haha...certainly, this is what many of us dream of. Some folks with the means actually do make such a trip their first.

Most of us never get to do the DG on the Zambezi or Kafue, but few of us would not love to!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois