csmcclain

Reaction score
So I’m a giant planner when it comes to the big picture of hunts down the road. I have a 2024 trip booked to Limpopo for plains game and a 2025 trip to Free State for a mix of trophy and cull plains game, predators, and bird hunting. I would like to start looking at buffalo and dangerous game after that (maybe ‘27 or ‘28). My thoughts are to book the buff for a 30th birthday present to myself, then explore other animal options after that.

If you were in my shoes, are you going back to the outfits that you’ve already been to (assuming I like them), or are you looking for a completely new destination for a new adventure? If new, where?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve been in the same spot. I hunted Africa again in Limpopo after college at 27 then shot my first buffalo just before I turned 30. I think you are selling yourself short if you don’t try new outfitters and new countries. There are major differences in the hunting in different regions and with the outfitters that focus their hunting on those areas. I think each hunt I go on gets better because I know more what I want and what I don’t want when searching for hunts.

The problem is that Africa is so big that narrowing down is almost hard to do.
If you want a buffalo I think a tracking hunt in Zimbabwe is what you should look for. Look into Charlton McCallum safaris in Zambezi valley.

Khomas Safaris offers dangerous game hunts up in the Zambezi Region (Caprivi), including not-high-fenced buffalo.

So I’m a giant planner when it comes to the big picture of hunts down the road. I have a 2024 trip booked to Limpopo for plains game and a 2025 trip to Free State for a mix of trophy and cull plains game, predators, and bird hunting. I would like to start looking at buffalo and dangerous game after that (maybe ‘27 or ‘28). My thoughts are to book the buff for a 30th birthday present to myself, then explore other animal options after that.

If you were in my shoes, are you going back to the outfits that you’ve already been to (assuming I like them), or are you looking for a completely new destination for a new adventure? If new, where?

Thanks!
I have been on many safaris now and loved them all. I recommend getting the “no fences “ out of your system so a buff hunt in Zim can do that for you, 2 million acres. Also do you have a hunting vision? For example mine is to take the big 5 which also helps me determine where I will hunt. Personally just speaking for myself it is the quality of the stalking hunt not the size of the property. Don’t laugh…how do you feel about Tetse Flies? Tanzania and Zambia at the wrong time of year can drive you crazy. My message is so many things play into your decision before you choose

I have been on many safaris now and loved them all. I recommend getting the “no fences “ out of your system so a buff hunt in Zim can do that for you, 2 million acres. Also do you have a hunting vision? For example mine is to take the big 5 which also helps me determine where I will hunt. Personally just speaking for myself it is the quality of the stalking hunt not the size of the property. Don’t laugh…how do you feel about Tetse Flies? Tanzania and Zambia at the wrong time of year can drive you crazy. My message is so many things play into your decision before you choose
I’ll partially have to determine my vision on how big our next house is, unfortunately. Current house could host a heck of a collection, but we’ll find that out later this year. Fortunately, I’ll still have plenty of time.

I’ve been looking at Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, and Botswana, but also even other regions of South Africa. I know that Tanzania and Cameroon will be out of the cards until all kids are out of the house… might be a good 50th birthday trip.

Ultimately, what I want is just an enjoyable place for the wife and I to escape the hustle and bustle of work for a little while. She’s laid back and along for the ride, so she’ll basically go anywhere, which helps me narrow down absolutely none.

I have hunted most of Zimbabwe, although I love the Zambezi valley and the fact no people or cattle due to the tetsi flies, it is not for everyone.

Zimbabwe is a great hunting destination, much different than RSA. The Gwaii offers some great hunting at reasonable prices. Of course some of the larger conservancies are ideal, but much higher prices.

Lon

I actually keep a spreadsheet of ph’s I would like to hunt with and where they are and what animals are available and cost is still a heavy variable at my stage in life. My nonhunting wife plays a part in the decision.
I think the biggest factor is WHAT I want to hunt next.
I had plans to go to Namibia with my wife. Then an opportunity came available in the east cape where we had hunted before. My wife said she would love to go back there again, so the decision became an easy one.
But I still have Namibia in the works-different animals, different country, new ph-grand adventure!

I am same as others. Get out of SA and see what its like to track buffalo on vast areas with NO fences, no named animal, no knowing the buff you are after and no almost guarantee of success, but a truly wild area, animals and experience. No banana buffalo approaches?

Also same as above my hunts are planned by species, budget then what fits, Zim was my first 2 safaris, and of course I fell in love with her. Then Namibia was second and came close to Zim, wild areas without fences but leopard and those only in Namibia species dictated I go there. From my small sample Zim PH's are the ones others are measured to, all have been amazing, wealth of knowledge and total joy to immerse in safari with.

My recommendation for a Buff/PG safari is choose another country based on your wants, number one should be wild, NO FENCES.

Something new to your, thanks my 2c.

MB

I am same as others. Get out of SA and see what its like to track buffalo on vast areas with NO fences, no named animal, no knowing the buff you are after and no almost guarantee of success, but a truly wild area, animals and experience. No banana buffalo approaches?

Also same as above my hunts are planned by species, budget then what fits, Zim was my first 2 safaris, and of course I fell in love with her. Then Namibia was second and came close to Zim, wild areas without fences but leopard and those only in Namibia species dictated I go there. From my small sample Zim PH's are the ones others are measured to, all have been amazing, wealth of knowledge and total joy to immerse in safari with.

My recommendation for a Buff/PG safari is choose another country based on your wants, number one should be wild, NO FENCES.

Something new to your, thanks my 2c.

MB
The no fences was a major thing for me. I am not really a high fence hunter in Texas, so I was admittedly annoyed about that for SA (I even got laughed at and chastised in an African hunting FB group for wanting an unfenced safari trip). I eventually got over it, but they had to be big enough areas. But yeah, that kinda stuff is admittedly more interesting to me. I’ll probably hit up DSC or SCI next year and talk with various outfitters and get something penciled in unless I get an amazing recommendation here.

This fall it will probably be quail in Alabama or Georgia.

2025 Tina wants to put her tag on a Carpathian Chamois with Marius at HUNT ROMANIA. I might tag along to try my hand at Red Stag and Boar. ;)

2026 it's my turn and Botswana will be our destination. Buff and plains game will be the goal.

2027 Markhor or Ibex. At the SCI show, she got one look at the terrain where these boys hang out, and she wasn't having any of it. I figure where there's a will there's a way. :A Hug:

Tagged for interest.

I'm 46 and have just booked my first plains game hunt in Namibia for this fall. Have an elk hunt in British Columbia booked for '25. Plans for a family safari in '26. Maybe I should go ahead of my family and hunt some buffalo. You know, just to make sure its safe :)

Elephant hunting has to be the next thing for me, don’t just know when and where but I could get some education here if I’m lucky enough.
Botswana and Namibia for the biggest bulls in body and usually tusk circumference and weight. Can also get big bulls in Maswa North in Tanzania. Some big bulls available in Zimbabwe near the national park but got to be lucky. Zambia producing some big bulls again in Luangwa.

I’ll partially have to determine my vision on how big our next house is, unfortunately. Current house could host a heck of a collection, but we’ll find that out later this year. Fortunately, I’ll still have plenty of time.

I’ve been looking at Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, and Botswana, but also even other regions of South Africa. I know that Tanzania and Cameroon will be out of the cards until all kids are out of the house… might be a good 50th birthday trip.

Ultimately, what I want is just an enjoyable place for the wife and I to escape the hustle and bustle of work for a little while. She’s laid back and along for the ride, so she’ll basically go anywhere, which helps me narrow down absolutely none.
There’s lots of good places to go for unfenced hunting but depends on your budget. I think a great bargain is Coutada 9 in Mozambique for unfenced plains game. About $600 per day plus trophy fees. Either the Duckworth’s or Rosenfell’s are great operators there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.