Where to go for 'Old Africa'...

The ol’ “africa” is gone. Just think to spend 6weeks on a boat comming from UK going through Suez. Arrive at harbour where a 3 day train ride is waiting. The Whitehunter will meet you at the end trainstation where one spend the first night at a colonial hotel( at mens club at evening) and the next day a 1-2 weeks walk or horseback) to the huntinggrounds that lies ahead. The Whitehunter has hired local guides to find way into uncharted land..and to find way back. As a sportsman you have brought 1000 rounds for a smallbore rifle and atleast 500 rounds for the bigbore.
Camp is pitched everynight at a new place and as a client you and the Whitehunter go to shoot game for the pot which you are ofcouse not charged for. Back in the ol’ days only elephants, rhinos and buffalos was considered biggame. Lions, leopards and hooved thinskinned game could be shot at no ekstra charge.( today a client is charged for shooting a jackel)On the safari the whitehunter had porters to carry months supply...the rest was havested as they went. When the sportsman returned to England two seasons had gone since he left.

My 14 day Tanzania safari we spent half or better of it in fly camps as leopard on bait were hours from main camp. Tell Nathan Askew at @Bullet Safaris what you are looking for. Here are pictures of fly camp!
Image1614950897.832288.jpg
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The ol’ “africa” is gone. Just think to spend 6weeks on a boat comming from UK going through Suez. Arrive at harbour where a 3 day train ride is waiting. The Whitehunter will meet you at the end trainstation where one spend the first night at a colonial hotel( at mens club at evening) and the next day a 1-2 weeks walk or horseback) to the huntinggrounds that lies ahead. The Whitehunter has hired local guides to find way into uncharted land..and to find way back. As a sportsman you have brought 1000 rounds for a smallbore rifle and atleast 500 rounds for the bigbore.
Camp is pitched everynight at a new place and as a client you and the Whitehunter go to shoot game for the pot which you are ofcouse not charged for. Back in the ol’ days only elephants, rhinos and buffalos was considered biggame. Lions, leopards and hooved thinskinned game could be shot at no ekstra charge.( today a client is charged for shooting a jackel)On the safari the whitehunter had porters to carry months supply...the rest was havested as they went. When the sportsman returned to England two seasons had gone since he left.

Sign me up! In all seriousness, there are still wild areas in Africa, but I have not experienced anything like this I. Africa. I have had truly remote hunts in the Upper Luangwa, the Zambezi valley (Zim), and The Kalahari in Botswana. However, it would be difficult to call them wilderness areas in the truest sense of the word.

If you want a true remote wilderness experience, I have had many in Northern Canada and Alaska. I spent a great deal of time canoeing the courier de Bois and Hudson Bay trading routes in Northern Canada. I have flown and boated much of Alaska. A float or drop hunt in these areas will be an experience to remember. One thing to remember in these areas, if you get into trouble, there’s only one person that can get you out of it!

It is all a question of definitions. You can put up a very comfortable rustic tented main camp quite easily, and a tented fly camp for nights out even easier. So from that aspect, tick. Then travelling around the bush it is really no big deal for an operator to use Land Rovers or Land Cruisers which have the rustic feel, most do, so tick that one too. There are quite a few very large uninhabited game areas which are every bit as wild as they were back then, and although a hunt there may be more expensive, it is certainly doable. The only remaining challenge I can see is getting to the camp, and for sure a bush plane ride to leapfrog the M&MOBA would tick that last box.

@Kevin Peacocke quite correct, we have a 1 hour 30 minute charter right to camp... I hate small planes but hey luckily I drive in

Northern Niassa in Mozambique and the Selous in Tanzania are both wild and hold the same species. Moz probably cheaper but politically less stable at the moment. Lots of cats. Buffalo in these areas are generally larger than those in the Zambezi Delta in Moz.

West Central Tanzania in the Rungwa areas are wild and large. Maswa in Tanzania is a great area bordering Serengeti NP. Northwestern Zim has big wild areas. Kasonso in Zambia and other Zambia areas that others have already mentioned. Some Cameroon and CAR areas are very remote and wild.
What exactly are you hearing about Moz being unstable? thanks

What exactly are you hearing about Moz being unstable? thanks
@Nature Boy, I would say that all third world countries are unstable. See the current US travel advisory to S.A.
With that on the table, there is a small faction in Mozambique and they have been for 10 years, if I was to answer your question directly the scale of “unrest” in Mozambique is no where close to the scale of unrest experienced in the US prior to the last election....

Yes there is a group of 250 armed men creating issues but destabilizing the entire country would be a major stretch.
A balanced perspective can go a long way here...
I hope this clarifies and answers the question.

My very best always
Jaco Strauss
Owner/Outfitter
Kwalata Safaris

Last edited:
@Kevin Peacocke quite correct, we have a 1 hour 30 minute charter right to camp... I hate small planes but hey luckily I drive in
Jaco! Glad to see you back on AH. It’s been a few years, I hope life has been treating you well.
Welcome back!

Jaco! Glad to see you back on AH. It’s been a few years, I hope life has been treating you well.
Welcome back!
Thanks!! I look forward to being part of this great forum again! Life has been hard work but then again anything worth something takes exactly that!! :)
My best Always

I hunted in kaokoland in NW Namibia. The areas are huge, very very few people, no fences, no paved roads, 1.5+ million acres. We saw lion, elephant, rhino tracks, leopard tracks, and a lot of plains game. It is as wild as I’ve seen and comes at a plains game price point in a very stable country. Here is a thread about it I contributed on.

Sign me up! In all seriousness, there are still wild areas in Africa, but I have not experienced anything like this I. Africa. I have had truly remote hunts in the Upper Luangwa, the Zambezi valley (Zim), and The Kalahari in Botswana. However, it would be difficult to call them wilderness areas in the truest sense of the word.

If you want a true remote wilderness experience, I have had many in Northern Canada and Alaska. I spent a great deal of time canoeing the courier de Bois and Hudson Bay trading routes in Northern Canada. I have flown and boated much of Alaska. A float or drop hunt in these areas will be an experience to remember. One thing to remember in these areas, if you get into trouble, there’s only one person that can get you out of it!

YES!

By 2035 I would say you are pushing it....for really big areas with no one in, one of the selous concessions ...or possibly Niassa areas in moz.... @Red Leg can have the swamps :E Big Grin: ...give me dry and hot..:D Beers:...wild areas in zim and here...luangwa one of myfavouriteplaceson the planet, but for what you are wanting I would go selous...but check out it's a good area...some not so good....but as I said who knows what any of the hunting areas will be like by 2035.....

Tanzania or Ethiopia.

Ethiopia and Sudan could be interesting.

Sudan is however troublesome these days.

Heh, I'm in no rush! If I can hit my career and investment goals, this will be a 40th birthday gig circa 2035. Just fun to dream and discuss for the time being and who knows, a couple promotions, a few more years in the markets like 2020 and it could be sooner than I think!
You are in a rush,... you just don't know yet.

In 2035, may be, there is nothing left you are looking for....

HWL

Seriously you can live a very good copy of the old ways here in Zimbabwe and I think in Zambia too. This is a board meeting at our office, many good deals done here. Clients invariably vitit the Falls or a game park on the way out, I dont see it disappearing if we all keep using it.

B1045AB5-FA9C-4BB1-BAFA-AA75B108E7F3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so often, there is a sentiment for "old Africa hunting", and never something like "old Europe style hunting", or "old Australian style hunting", etc ?

If you want old Africa, then besides the hunting area, read up on the history of the area you are planning to hunt and spend time there looking at history.

Find a PH/outfitter that knows his countries history and can tell you stories and perhaps drive you by locations that bring out the history. Schedule a few days prior/post the hunt to see the history.

ie:

Tanzania - Slave Market/Church in Stonetown, Sultan's palace ruins Zanzibar, Livingston and Stanley meeting place in Ujiji, Isimila Stoneage site,(There are others), Oldavi Gourge,(Leakey's), There may still be people around Arusha/Moshi that can show you WWI battlefield sites and explain the movements.(Probably need to check out on internet). In northern Tanzania it might be worth taking a few days into Kenya and see Norfolk Hotel, New Stanley, Muthaiga Club, Karen Blixen home, etc.

Others can give a short list of other countries if they want. Pick and choose what you might be interested in doing, then enjoy the trip back in history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg