AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
Evening gents.

A question for you all that I'm sure has been covered before, but that may spark some debate nonetheless.

I find in life generally that I value quality more than quality and that I'm quite happy to save a long time and pay a lot for the 'best'. THis also applies to my thoughts around safaris.

I could probably stretch to a fenced PG hunt in somewhere like SA this year if I really wanted, but actually, my idea of the 'best' safari is that romaticised vision of 'old' Africa. The Africa of Roosevelt, Percival, or Hemingway. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for even a hint of that experience, which bring me onto my question.

Where would you say is closest to this ideal in modern Africa?

As a hypothetical, let's say you're looking for at least 21-30 days, somewhere remote and hard to get to with incredible scenery, massive expanses of ground, all unfenced, spot and stalk, maybe even some cross country travel and camping out? 'Authentic', I guess would be as good a term as any.

I'd like to take a decent range of species to include at least a buff and have the freedom to pick and choose which ones as the mood takes me, but I honestly care very little about the quality of the trophies. I'd much rather spend 2 hard days working in tough terrain to stalk into a representative beast with character, than find a record holder in 3 hours and shoot it 500yds from the truck. Experience over all.

I also find I'm not that fussed about the quality of accomodation. A tent out in the bush is fine if it's in a magical location.

Where would you be looking to go?

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I literally asked this question last month. Luangwa in Zambia, Save, BVC in Zim, Selous, And Caprivi would all be placed to look. Mbalabala, John Sharp, Billy Miller, Earnest Dyason with Spear. I have personally spoken to all of these gentleman and would hunt with all of them.

Neil Molendyk

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,CCFR
Hunted
Alberta Canada,Saskatchewan Canada, Namibia, Limpopo RSA, Eastern Cape RSA
I haven't ever been there but I keep hearing about Tanzania, someday maybe.

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
Yep, $100,000 plus, Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Northeast Namibia, Botswana Okavango, lots of choices.

You could also just cut it into 3-4 smaller pieces and travel around the ranches and have a hell of an adventure at $50,000.

Alistair

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
Heh, I'm in no rush! If I can hit my career and investment goals, this will be a 40th birthday gig circa 2035. Just fun to dream and discuss for the time being and who knows, a couple promotions, a few more years in the markets like 2020 and it could be sooner than I think!

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
The markets are going to crash globally, the entire market is held up by fake money.

But I hope it doesn't!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Luangwa valley Zambia, many places in northern Zimbabwe, or Tanzania

Reactions: WAB

Nature Boy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, Mozambique
Evening gents.

A question for you all that I'm sure has been covered before, but that may spark some debate nonetheless.

I find in life generally that I value quality more than quality and that I'm quite happy to save a long time and pay a lot for the 'best'. THis also applies to my thoughts around safaris.

I could probably stretch to a fenced PG hunt in somewhere like SA this year if I really wanted, but actually, my idea of the 'best' safari is that romaticised vision of 'old' Africa. The Africa of Roosevelt, Percival, or Hemingway. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for even a hint of that experience, which bring me onto my question.

As a hypothetical, let's say you're looking for at least 21-30 days, somewhere remote and hard to get to with incredible scenery, massive expanses of ground, all unfenced, spot and stalk, maybe even some cross country travel and camping out? 'Authentic', I guess would be as good a term as any.

I'd like to take a decent range of species to include at least a buff and have the freedom to pick and choose which ones as the mood takes me, but I honestly care very little about the quality of the trophies. I'd much rather spend 2 hard days working in tough terrain to stalk into a representative beast with character, than find a record holder in 3 hours and shoot it 500yds from the truck. Experience over all.

I also find I'm not that fussed about the quality of accomodation. A tent out in the bush is fine if it's in a magical location.

I think I can answer with credibility. Mozambique (Niassa area especially), Tanzania (selous-1000 sq/Km with nobody in one block alone), maybe Zambia.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Mozambique - particularly the swamps of the Zambezi Delta can be pretty darned close. Whether taking a compass heading for a 8-10 km hike from a bird sighting; fighting through the sloughs that halt progress every few hundred yards; or carrying out meat and trophies back to camp - Hemmingway or Ruark would have seen much the same.

Zambezi Delta march to the birds

Zambezi Delta

Carrying out meat and trophies - Coutada 14

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
Depending on what happens with the factions in Northern Mozambique I would say Niassa, after you done that for 20 odd days the swamps in Moz. both good for buffalo but both completely different and old feeling Africa.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media

I could probably stretch to a fenced PG hunt in somewhere like SA this year if I really wanted, but actually, my idea of the 'best' safari is that romaticised vision of 'old' Africa.

You are looking at a cost of six figures for a 28 day Tanzania hunt. Needless to say orders of magnitude more than a fenced RSA hunt. That will be quite a bit of stretching.

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
Alistaire.
There are many great places in Africa still, but if you are searching for the Ultimate in Remoteness, no local people around or villages, really large areas, non permanent camps with the ability to "Fly camp" away from the main Tented camp, hunt amongst Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Buffalo naturally........
i'd say Tanzania, the south west or Selous.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
The romantic notion of a safari in old Africa appeals to almost all true hunters. Liver flukes, malaria, and TB notwithstanding, it must have been inspiring to see endless herds, and wild, lawless places. Currently, the political and demographic situations are so dynamic that it is difficult to choose a venue for a remote hunt. And people want the direct flight. To be picked up from the airport on time, ride in an airconditioned SUV to camp, have their doxycycline ready to go and PCR arranged ahead of time. And they always ask about the WIFI. 54 inch or can I expect a 58 inch kudu?......No, I have rarely seen anyone TRULY asking for the "old Africa". But you are, and I salute you for it..............FWB

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
Northern Niassa in Mozambique and the Selous in Tanzania are both wild and hold the same species. Moz probably cheaper but politically less stable at the moment. Lots of cats. Buffalo in these areas are generally larger than those in the Zambezi Delta in Moz.

West Central Tanzania in the Rungwa areas are wild and large. Maswa in Tanzania is a great area bordering Serengeti NP. Northwestern Zim has big wild areas. Kasonso in Zambia and other Zambia areas that others have already mentioned. Some Cameroon and CAR areas are very remote and wild.

Mbalabala Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
mbalabalasafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Evening gents.

I can offer you some will free range hunting in Zimbabwe.

KWALATA SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.kwalata.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
We have one of the top old school safari locations in Africa. Game numbers are great, our remote location ensures virtually zero human activity.
We offer a true old school “track” safari experience.
Feel free to pop me a message our area is located in the 12,000 000 acre Niassa Special Reserve and we have exclusive quota on 265 000 acres.
Take your time, there are many good operators out there and still some spectacular areas to safari in.
Good luck in your search.
My best always
Jaco Strauss
Owner/outfitter
Kwalata Safaris

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlenArmstr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?