Where best to hunt in October/November time frame?

Wooster

Gold supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Media
Have hunted Namibia (Kalihari, Kaokoland and Caprivi) and Eastern Cape in May-August time frame. But considering an Oct/Nov hunt at some point. Wondering where to go considering weather factors (rain and heat) and game quality at that time of year. Anyone have any good experiences or suggestions? I have some buddies going to Moz in November. ?? Thanks in advance!

Great thread…I too have wondered about this. All my trips have been July/August. Many times I have seen awesome deals due to remaining quota during October-December

I did Moz in late October in the Zambezi Delta because I wanted a big Livingstone eland and the rut is the best time to get one. I should add that we were successful.

But based upon those last two weeks of October, I am not sure that I would want to experience Moz in November.

We were in daily temps around 100 and humidity in the nineties. Toss in tsetse flies, clouds of malarial mosquitoes, the occasional mamba, and a gaboon viper that may have been the most lethal looking thing I have ever seen, and let's just say it was an equatorial adventure.

Might be different in the Selous.

viper.jpg

Last edited:
Hunted Zambezi Valley in October. (Suicide month). I didn’t mind so much, but it was freakin’ warm. Wife didn’t like it at all. Had some heart issues due to electrolyte imbalance. 42-43 degrees C. But it was a dry heat!

Come to think about it, kinda like home right now, except for the dry part.

That is hot!! Red Leg glad you were successful. Also at those temps animals would most certainly have to utilize any water around.

I hunted early Oct in the southern Kalahari in Northern RSA some time ago. Had a great hunt. Temperature up to 105 or so. Animals spent a lot of time around the water holes.
I was told it was the easy time for lions. They just had to hang out around water for their pick of the animals to eat. It easily a good hunt.
Bruce

Early November in Maswa in Tanzania for lion and other game. The start of the “short rains” and short grass greening up attracts lots of game and migration. Later in November and December can get too wet.

I actually really enjoy hunting in October. I’ve had great hunts in Namibia and Zimbabwe. I’d choose an outfitter with multiple camps so you can take advantage of end of season quota. Generally there are few hunters that late so several camps will be open and you can see different areas on the same hunt.

Have hunted Namibia (Kalihari, Kaokoland and Caprivi) and Eastern Cape in May-August time frame. But considering an Oct/Nov hunt at some point. Wondering where to go considering weather factors (rain and heat) and game quality at that time of year. Anyone have any good experiences or suggestions? I have some buddies going to Moz in November. ?? Thanks in advance!
I hunted Namibia in that time period a few years ago. Everything was fine until there was some rain. That's when the snakes started appearing. One day a puff adder and the next a spitting cobra. NO THANK YOU!

What you looking to hunt?

I agree with RedLeg, October in Marromeu area of Mozambique is a great time to hunt, game is concentrated around any remaining water and if you want a superb nyala that would be a great choice. On a side note we almost stepped on a gaboon viper in some ankle high scrub and if my tracker hadn’t heard it hiss something bad could have happened!

Buff and plains game. I'm a kudu addict, so that's always in the mix.
OK...Oct will be hot here but game will be concentrated not too far from water...so good ..and I presume this is for next year?... I will send you a pm with my cell number thet has WhatsApp...easier for comms here ..cheers mike

Western Zambia, on the Kafue Plateau, can be very nice in October. It’s about 4,000 feet altitude IIRC, so a lot less heat than the Luangwa Valley.

In 2020 I hunted Rungwa in Tanzania the first half of October. Temps were not bad at all, we did get a few early rains towards the end of my safari, a moderate amount of rain would create an issue trying to hunt though.

7 out of my 8 safaris were in Sept/Oct, all in RSA, including the Kalahari .

It is warmer, but there are less leaves in the bush, so you can see game much better.

Another advantage is there are less travelers, and flying is cheaper.

I have hunted the eastern cape and Nambia in the beginning of October. Found the eastern cape very windy but was successful. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.