WHATS YOUR FAVORITE RETICLE

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Im a fan of No1 post and the No4 post and crosshair. I find them both to be very fast and work well in dim light without any need for a lighting option. Years ago I saw a "Command Post" that let you flip the post from the traditional bottom (pointing up position) to the top (pointing down). What a great idea!

In the military I used the Leatherwood ART scope (traditional duplex) with two "extra" horizontal lines. You adjusted the power of the scope to bracket the enemy's belt and top of his head. The power changing also used a cam to raise or lower the scope to automatically adjuist for range. It was an amazing concept. There was zero need to calculate range by dot size. It was NOT fast for quick shots but since it was for sniping that wasnt a concern.

I have a scope with a Christmas Tree reticle. It "looks" cool but its also NOT fast. Yest it helps with ranging and hold over; but it can be confusing when you need a fast shot.

Man.... I'll be 100% honest. With the great technology & trajectory of today's rifles/ammo inside about 200-300+ yards... I don't know that you need anything other than the good old duplex. Get to fancy.... look like Nancy.

My .22s sport Leupold VX II 3-9x33 A/O EFRs. The Varmint gun has one of the Leupold VX-7 3.5-14x50 mmLR with their Varmint Reticle. A 40X Bench/Target has a 36X with fine Crosshair. Everything else wears the VX-6 1-6x24 mm CDS with the standard Duplex. The Duplex works well in all light conditions for me. Even in near total darkness on a 10/22 dispatching varmints.

SO, the favorite is the traditional DUPLEX for me.

I mean unless you get balls deep into gauging & doping the wind... long distances.... then really, keep focus, rifle, ammo, optics under about 250+.... aim small, miss small..... you'll be in the money baby!!!!

I like the trijicon triangle. Very simple point and shoot. Although, it takes some practise to aim with the apex of the triangle as your eye can be drawn to the body of the triangle.

I like the trijicon triangle. Very simple point and shoot. Although, it takes some practise to aim with the apex of the triangle as your eye can be drawn to the body of the triangle.

Under 100-200, using certain hardware & you can afford... trijicon = badass, no argument.

Under 100-200, using certain hardware & you can afford... trijicon = badass, no argument.

+3 on trijicon .... I use a German #4 with amber dot on a 1-4 X 24 scope on a .300 AAC Blackout for pigs ... and the darker it gets the brighter the dot gets and it is ... badass indeed!

For most species, under most conditions, world-wide, I prefer just regular old boring, straight/standard cross wires ("crosshairs").

Here in N. America, for shooting pests/rodents, such as ground squirrels, marmots and such, I prefer fine cross wires with "target dot" (half minute or smaller dot, in the center of my fine cross wires).

I do have some scopes with "duplex" reticule in them.
This is because I buy almost all of my optics 2nd hand and so, I'm often stuck with "four view obstructing heavy posts" in some of my scopes.
So, I just put on my big boy pants and make the clunky duplex work for me, in spite of its sales gimmick design.

Fine duplex or fine duplex with dot (Leupold small dot) for me.

Also like the German #4 post

When I first started using scopes, late 50s my favorite was B&Ls tapered crosshair, because you could increase the power to 8 and still have a fine aiming point. the they moved the crosshair from the front to the back and it's size didn't change. then I liked the German #4 for the big lines coming in from the side and bottom yet still having a fine aiming point, and depending on the load and power setting, for long range shots I could use the top of the lower vertical as an aiming point. then I got a Leupold Mark 4 M1 10x with a Mildot. It works great if I have enough time to calculate distance and holdover. A couple years ago I got a VX6 6-24 CDS with the dial set for a 375 RUM, 350 gr Sierra. I haven't shot anything other than rocks with it, but using a rangefinder and turning the dial is a lot simpler than the Mildot system. But for actual in the field hunting conditions, I think my favorite is the German #4: close shots, center the crosshair on the chest, long distance use the bottom vertical as a post.

I like Nightforce's FC-2 on the 1-4, and I am going to be trying out Leupold's TMR-D on their MK6 shortly.

The mildot reticles have way too much going on for me.

I like the standard duplex (normal wide version, not the narrow Leupold - though I have a VX3 because it was the only 2-7x32 I could find in a gloss finish).

My opinion is if you need to hold over an animal with a duplex, it's too far away to be shooting. :whistle:

On everything but my dangerous game rifle I run a Zeiss Rapid Z.

I like the Shepherd rangefinding reticle. Easiest and fastest to use, just fill the circle (back to brisket) and squeeze. I don't like the eye relief so don't put it on a kicker

Post.

So seldom use a scope, though, my opinion isn't worth all that much.

you are obviously not suffering from the old age disease

Agree. I placed a trijicon with a green post on my 300wsm, and it does take some getting used to specially on game. If find the duplex easier to " place" on the animal. But I do believe it's because I used the duplex for so many years. Biggest thing I like is with the trijicon you can shoot with both eyes open. Definitely makes it easier to find game just before shooting.

For me it's really about what I see first when I put the rifle to my shoulder and look through the scope. I want to see what I am shooting at first and then put the crosss hair (or dot, post ect) on the target. I do not want to automatically focus n the reticle first and then try to find the target. So if the reticle distracts me from the target I won't like it.

Been there, done that, with a non-illuminated reticle that I had custom made for an old K10 scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg