What will be the follow on Vehicle now that Toyota Land-cruiser is no longer in production.

I’m curious, do the land cruisers have a solid front axle, or a control arm front suspension? I’ve always been of the opinion that a solid axle was best, mainly due to simplicity.

Yes, they do. Simplicity, maybe. Maybe also a very over of old technology for a workhorse that is built for tough conditions

They stopped doing a olid axle in the Hilux pre 2000? Hilux and others are building vehicles with more comfort for the market demand. So many families run twin can utes in some areas and some young people like them.

LandCruiser ute, Troop Carrier etc (Commercial line) re still using a solid front axle. I have driven /managed a few for work.

I don't have a bias toward car manufacturers but Toyota are a good vehicle.

Those model LandCruiser a are common here and the Twin Cab and station wagon versions are becoming popular. Australia are a small consumer worldwide so our requirements.

They are common in rural Australia.

They are expensive but if you have the need for them not much compares.

If Toyota are the vehicle of choice for terrorists who are using them in harsh conditions with probably minimal servicing and maintenance the it speaks volumes.

Australia are a small consumer on the world market we won't influences the market but we would be stuffed without these. I could see old ones holding their price well beyond their value.

I would consider one if I was likely to start using it more.

Yes, they do. Simplicity, maybe. Maybe also a very over of old technology for a workhorse that is built for tough conditions

They stopped doing a olid axle in the Hilux pre 2000? Hilux and others are building vehicles with more comfort for the market demand. So many families run twin can utes in some areas and some young people like them.

LandCruiser ute, Troop Carrier etc (Commercial line) re still using a solid front axle. I have driven /managed a few for work.

I don't have a bias toward car manufacturers but Toyota are a good vehicle.

Those model LandCruiser a are common here and the Twin Cab and station wagon versions are becoming popular. Australia are a small consumer worldwide so our requirements.

They are common in rural Australia.

They are expensive but if you have the need for them not much compares.

If Toyota are the vehicle of choice for terrorists who are using them in harsh conditions with probably minimal servicing and maintenance the it speaks volumes.

Australia are a small consumer on the world market we won't influences the market but we would be stuffed without these. I could see old ones holding their price well beyond their value.

I would consider one if I was likely to start using it more.
@CBH
Chris the old hilux pre 97 were pretty good but them Toyota stuffed them up making them yuppie friendly with common rail motors instead of the old DHD motors. Toyota took a good vehicle and turned it into a piece of shit. I've seen the newer ones out bush with broken upper shock mounts, one the drivers side gaurd/ fender fell off and got run over by the back wheels, broken tail shafts and stuffed fuel pumps because of our low quality diesel. Early Luxie farm truck yes unbreakable the new one hit a pothole and the go to crap.
Bob

This was mine - it has done numerous trips to the Sahel region of N Africa and one circumnavigation of the African continent

Sold now sadly

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

car in mauretania.jpg

Now a days I run a jimny jeep - which curiously I would also consider for the Moz bush

Cheep to import and with a 2" lift, good tyres and ARB diff-lockers, the jimny would make an awesome scout car and general run around.

Not much cop for running clients around though and you ain't gonna get a kudu in the back

Last edited:
The 70 series is not likely going anywhere anytime soon.
There are few vehicles out of the box as reliable and resilient.
The old 1hz motor is a donkey and being uncomplicated it is perfect for remote africa.

The hilux is not comparable in terms of longevity and reliability, there are too many sensors, electrics, relays and other bits and pieces that dont hold up to the rigours of remote hunting safaris.
Its a lot more comfortable, its more fuel efficient and easier to drive.
But its not a long lasting remote bush vehicle.

And this is coming from someone who has multiples of each running in town and rural areas.

The newer 79 series with the 1VD v8 diesel is also having issues with fuel quality here, they also dont seem to like idling around at hunting speeds

That Hz 4.2 straight six is hard to beat - especially with 78 series and an absence of silly electrical wiz bangs - none of which are worth a light off road or in the bush

mine above wasn’t the turbo version of the hz- naturally aspirated there was less to go wrong and easier to repair

Last edited:
@CBH
Chris the old hilux pre 97 were pretty good but them Toyota stuffed them up making them yuppie friendly with common rail motors instead of the old DHD motors. Toyota took a good vehicle and turned it into a piece of shit. I've seen the newer ones out bush with broken upper shock mounts, one the drivers side gaurd/ fender fell off and got run over by the back wheels, broken tail shafts and stuffed fuel pumps because of our low quality diesel. Early Luxie farm truck yes unbreakable the new one hit a pothole and the go to crap.
Bob
Bob,
If the diesel fuel there is trashing fuel pumps and/or injectors, it sounds like the fuel doesn’t have enough lubricity in it? If it’s “ultra low” sulfur content (15ppm) like it is here, an additive containing more lubricity is needed. Once they replaced the “low” sulfur (500ppm) with ultra low here, problems with pumps, injectors and other engine components started popping up due to the lack of the sulphur lubricating those parts.
CEH

Bob,
If the diesel fuel there is trashing fuel pumps and/or injectors, it sounds like the fuel doesn’t have enough lubricity in it? If it’s “ultra low” sulfur content (15ppm) like it is here, an additive containing more lubricity is needed. Once they replaced the “low” sulfur (500ppm) with ultra low here, problems with pumps, injectors and other engine components started popping up due to the lack of the sulphur lubricating those parts.
CEH
I add a bit of 2 stoke oil to my diesel. It helps with the lubrication of the injectors and pump.

You cannot compare a Hylux witj a Landcruisr. PHs are buying Hylux for one reason only. We own 5 Landcruiser from 1982 to 2021. Our 1983 is in as good of condition as our 2021 and taken care of it will still be chugging along 50 yrs. from now.

Land Rover that is a whole different subject!

I’m a big fan of simplicity. I prefer my engines to have a manual kill switch. Run them with no battery if you want to. I also prefer Bosch injection pumps, common rail performs nicely, but there are too many sensors and wiring involved.

If you have to run 2 stroke oil in your fuel, your injection system is too delicate. Normally, around here that means you have a 6.0 power stroke. Meanwhile the 7.3 power stroke, is designed to run on both No.2 or No.1 diesel (kerosene). My friend ran a 3/4 tank of gas through his 7.3, on accident, with no damage.

My point is when you find something built right, like the land cruiser apparently is, they are very hard to replace, once you become accustomed to it.

I’m a big fan of simplicity. I prefer my engines to have a manual kill switch. Run them with no battery if you want to. I also prefer Bosch injection pumps, common rail performs nicely, but there are too many sensors and wiring involved.

If you have to run 2 stroke oil in your fuel, your injection system is too delicate. Normally, around here that means you have a 6.0 power stroke. Meanwhile the 7.3 power stroke, is designed to run on both No.2 or No.1 diesel (kerosene). My friend ran a 3/4 tank of gas through his 7.3, on accident, with no damage.

My point is when you find something built right, like the land cruiser apparently is, they are very hard to replace, once you become accustomed to it.
Wyatt,
That still amazes me that your friend ran that gas through his diesel without blowing up the engine? Anyway, those 7.3 engines are pretty forgiving when using diesel, biodiesel, #1, #2 diesel, etc. Hey, I'll bet they'd even run on Vegemite? Maybe we could Bob to try it out in a diesel in OZ? Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

Wyatt,
That still amazes me that your friend ran that gas through his diesel without blowing up the engine? Anyway, those 7.3 engines are pretty forgiving when using diesel, biodiesel, #1, #2 diesel, etc. Hey, I'll bet they'd even run on Vegemite? Maybe we could Bob to try it out in a diesel in OZ? Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

Agreed, that compression stroke should have ended things in a dramatic way. We made arctic diesel at the North Pole refinery (Fairbanks). It was basically jet fuel or kerosene. You lose a ton of power but #2 turns into a fudgecicle in those conditions.

You cannot compare a Hylux witj a Landcruisr. PHs are buying Hylux for one reason only. We own 5 Landcruiser from 1982 to 2021. Our 1983 is in as good of condition as our 2021 and taken care of it will still be chugging along 50 yrs. from now.

Land Rover that is a whole different subject!
This.

Lots of wanna-be's, pretenders and almost-rans about, no different to firearms.

I ran a 3ltr duel-cab Hilux for almost 17 years. It did just short of half of one million kilometers before i sold it to a gent who is still driving it now. That truck did a decade of driving between my home and my buffalo camp in Arnhemland, three and a half thousand kilometers away, and then do all the hunt travelling for each season before having to transport me home again before the Wet.
Awesome truck.

I am now driving a 79 series twin cab with the 4.5ltr V8 deisel.
As great and reliable and servicable my Hilux was it doesn't compare to the 79 series.
I now have just under 100k on the clock with no issues whatsoever.
They do need some slight modifications so as to not have issues with the DPF, but if you are on to that at the beginning they are an awesome truck.

Just like firearms, there are "good" and there are "cheap" but there ain't too many good AND cheap.

I will add some fuel to the fire. They can’t compare to a Unimog or a G-wagon.
You are indeed a grenade thrower.

My problem with the Unimog is size. Would be like using a MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicle for a hunting vehicle. Rhodesians and South Africans did kit quite a few out that way. Of course with a bit of armor plate and a light MG on the roof, it might be just the thing for CAR. :W Ak47:

The G Wagon is a great machine, but unless you could lay your hands on one of the simplified Bundeswehr models, it would be a nightmare to maintain in the bush. Frankly it would be a nightmare regardless with no real logistics support structure south of the Sahara.

You are indeed a grenade thrower.

My problem with the Unimog is size. Would be like using a MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicle for a hunting vehicle. Rhodesians and South Africans did kit quite a few out that way. Of course with a bit of armor plate and a light MG on the roof, it might be just the thing for CAR. :W Ak47:

The G Wagon is a great machine, but unless you could lay your hands on one of the simplified Bundeswehr models, it would be a nightmare to maintain in the bush. Frankly it would be a nightmare regardless with no real logistics support structure south of the Sahara.

I've seen the unimog equiv used for carrying large groups of ''bush tourists'' about in SA but, though I love the unimog, it is not the vehicle for day to day bush work.

I don't know how Toyota did it - but they nailed it with the 70 series

Heavy duty gearbox, clutch and diffs (lockable), coils on the front and leaves on the back (for carrying weight) and narrow enough to get through the bush.

A simple and powerful engine with low end grunt.

Reliable and quality and cheap.

Basically everything that Landrover failed to deliver through too many compromises and, more recently, a target audience geared towards the shopping mall warrior

And as for electronic crap - electric windows is one gadget too many !!

Last edited:
I've seen the unimog equiv used for carrying large groups of ''bush tourists'' about in SA but, though I love the unimog, it is not the vehicle for day to day bush work.

I don't know how Toyota did it - but they nailed it with the 70 series

Heavy duty gearbox, clutch and diffs (lockable), coils on the front and leaves on the back (for carrying weight) and narrow enough to get through the bush.

A simple and powerful engine with low end grunt.

Reliable and quality and cheap.

Basically everything that Landrover failed to deliver through too many compromises and, more recently, a target audience geared towards the shopping mall warrior
Our around town and travel "car" is a Range Rover. You are correct. With a 5 liter supercharged V8 and performance tires, it would be of limited value anywhere off a highway - but on one - hell of a machine. It will cruise at 130 kph all day without trying and can adapt to any road/weather conditions.

My hunting/ranch vehicle is a Ford F-250. Wonderful machine.

And I have my baby - the (FJ40) in my avatar.

But if I were across the water, it would be a 70 series.

Our around town and travel "car" is a Range Rover. You are correct. With a 5 liter supercharged V8 and performance tires, it would be of limited value anywhere off a highway - but on one - hell of a machine. It will cruise at 130 kph all day without trying and can adapt to any road/weather conditions.

My hunting/ranch vehicle is a Ford F-250. Wonderful machine.

And I have my baby - the (FJ40) in my avatar.

But if I were across the water, it would be a 70 series.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know anything of the US made 4x4's - other than the CJ5 which I loved when I lived in Florida

I did a few overland trips in a landrover discovery Mk 1 into which I dropped a 6.2 litre GMC V8 diesel.

Great for playing - but as a serious remote overland vehicle? - No, not my finest hour.

I still have it though - the chickens use it for roosting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg