What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I’m a mid level collector but have a few nice pieces. My Ranger is an all around watch as you can tell from the picture. From EMS calls to bougie barbers.
In our last cruise my wife suprised me by saying get the Bronze Oris big crown that I plan to take. I am imagining old world safari and the watch fits right in and I will be taking them both.
IMG_5522.jpeg

I have a few things to update.

First is the 1974 Speedmaster. My father noticed it yesterday while shooting clays and it gave him a little grin. It was a nice moment. I just wish the accuracy on this piece was going as well as our shooting did. Unfortunately in the first 24 hours it was -30 seconds. In the second 24 hours it was -20 seconds. I'm going to wear it for a few more days and see if the springs are gaining some elasticity that will increase the accuracy. I've also been informed by my wife that it's been eight years since I've pulled it out of the drawer. This one may require a service in the near future.

The Seamaster PO worn all week by my wife is at +28 seconds over 7 days. It's not awesome accuracy but would still qualify for the COSC Chronometer certification that is -4 to +6 seconds a day.

Next on the testing block is her 2013 Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 36mm. I always thought this watch was not keeping time properly and even had it checked at the Omega Service Center, only to have them say it was well within spec. It's been over 10 years since I sent it back. We will see how this one goes.

For those wondering. I'm using this website for time comparison.
https://time.is/

Accuracy is fun to track and frustrating to chase 0.

I have an NH35 that is anywhere from -15 to +30 on my TG, in 8 positions. But if I’m wearing it it’s -2 / +5. If I leave it dial up it’s +2. Go figure. I taught myself how to regulate Seiko movements because they are usually all over the place.

The most accurate movement I own are GS Spring Drives. +1 second every 3 days or so.

Honestly, setting the watch daily is part of the interaction I enjoy with manual and automatic watches.

Watch Photo of the Day

IMG_3535.jpeg

Accuracy on an automatic watch even varies wether you wear it on your left or right wrist.

Accuracy on an automatic watch even varies wether you wear it on your left or right wrist.
Uuuuuuh...dare I ask? :oops:

Uuuuuuh...dare I ask? :oops:

Actually this device (forgot its name) that measures electronically the accuracy of your watch has two settings, left/right hand.

And that is as far as I know

Actually this device (forgot its name) that measures electronically the accuracy of your watch has two settings, left/right hand.

And that is as far as I know

Timegrapher. These vary in price, screen, features and can have printers.

I use mine to regulate my watches or to check health of the movement if there are issues and or to know when I should service them.

You set the watch cased or movement only, N/S, dial up/down and the arm turns vertical and horizontal in multiple positions. This will simulate arms and watch positions as you wear it. It will also tell you your accuracy when you rest your watch overnight, in the position you choose.

Every movement has a specific lift angle and this is necessary for, the correct amplitude. The amplitude tells you about the health of the movement, specifically by telling you how much rotation (arc) there is in the balance wheel swing. The Beat Error tells you how varied or consistent the balance wheel swing timing is. The rate tells you your accuracy per day. Beat is your movements beat rate.

Usually you take measurements for:
  • Watch face up
  • Watch face down
  • Crown up
  • Crown left
  • Crown right
  • Crown down
The rate will change as the movement settles and then the rate will vary as the movement runs. This will change as you rotate the watch in the six positions above. You take an average and adjust the Rate and B.E. arms +/-. Ideally you want an Amplitude +270, B.E. 0, but less than 0.5, and an average Rate 0, but less than -4/+7 seconds. (METAS 0/+5)

IMG_3243.jpeg

1323D862-F9B4-436A-BBA2-E74064D93F05.jpeg

Last edited:
Much like rifles, only accurate watches are interesting.

Timegrapher. These vary in price, screen, features and can have printers.

I use mine to regulate my watches or to check health of the movement if there are issues and or to know when I should service them.

You set the watch cased or movement only, N/S, dial up/down and the arm turns vertical and horizontal in multiple positions. This will simulate arms and watch positions as you wear it. It will also tell you your accuracy when you rest your watch overnight, in the position you choose.

Every movement has a specific lift angle and this is necessary for, the correct amplitude. The amplitude tells you about the health of the movement, specifically by telling you how much rotation (arc) there is in the balance wheel swing. The Beat Error tells you how varied or consistent the balance wheel swing timing is. The rate tells you your accuracy per day. Beat is your movements beat rate.

Usually you take measurements for:
  • Watch face up
  • Watch face down
  • Crown up
  • Crown left
  • Crown right
  • Crown down
The rate will change as the movement settles and then the rate will vary as the movement runs. This will change as you rotate the watch in the six positions above. You take an average and adjust the Rate and B.E. arms +/-. Ideally you want an Amplitude +270, B.E. 0, but less than 0.5, and an average Rate 0, but less than -4/+7 seconds. (METAS 0/+5)

View attachment 608731
View attachment 608736

I was unaware such devices were available to man…

Accuracy is fun to track and frustrating to chase 0.

I have an NH35 that is anywhere from -15 to +30 on my TG, in 8 positions. But if I’m wearing it it’s -2 / +5. If I leave it dial up it’s +2. Go figure. I taught myself how to regulate Seiko movements because they are usually all over the place.

The most accurate movement I own are GS Spring Drives. +1 second every 3 days or so.

Honestly, setting the watch daily is part of the interaction I enjoy with manual and automatic watches.

Watch Photo of the Day

View attachment 608416
The lhd titanium pelagos is one of the most comfortable watches to wear

I told @BeeMaa about this the other day but his tests inspired me to test my Longines so I wound it 9 days ago and it’s at just over +19 seconds today

I have a few things to update.

First is the 1974 Speedmaster. My father noticed it yesterday while shooting clays and it gave him a little grin. It was a nice moment. I just wish the accuracy on this piece was going as well as our shooting did. Unfortunately in the first 24 hours it was -30 seconds. In the second 24 hours it was -20 seconds. I'm going to wear it for a few more days and see if the springs are gaining some elasticity that will increase the accuracy. I've also been informed by my wife that it's been eight years since I've pulled it out of the drawer. This one may require a service in the near future.

The Seamaster PO worn all week by my wife is at +28 seconds over 7 days. It's not awesome accuracy but would still qualify for the COSC Chronometer certification that is -4 to +6 seconds a day.

Next on the testing block is her 2013 Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 36mm. I always thought this watch was not keeping time properly and even had it checked at the Omega Service Center, only to have them say it was well within spec. It's been over 10 years since I sent it back. We will see how this one goes.

For those wondering. I'm using this website for time comparison.
https://time.is/
Interesting… My 2500 PO is off, fast, by about one minute a month. So it’s a second fast a day or so.

I used to wear a Submariner. That hunk of steel gave me more grief..... at one point in its life, it was actually running backwards. Out of warranty by two years, I brought the watch to a longtime shop run by an old Swiss born watchmaker. No jewelry sold there, just high end watches, and watch repair. I told him my Rolex was running backward. His response "Dis iss impossible, cannot be". I took the watch out of my pocket and he had a look. His next response was "Mein Gott!" (or something that sounded similar). He had it several weeks, I got it back, paid .... a bunch, probably 15 percent of the cost of a new one. In six months.... backwards again. I took it off, stuck it in a desk drawer, and left it there when I departed my ex.
These days, mo simpler, mo betta, to a point. I've got several custom watches with mid level Seiko movements. Never fail, accurate enough. One started as a mid level Seiko, got sent to a guy up in Rhode Island for disassembly. The case got sent to the UK to have it machined and fit with shroud. Other parts came from Hong Kong and Tokyo. Everything back, it was reassembled and adjusted by the man in RI, and never a hitch. I had three of those made, one went to a good buddy when he was down on his luck a bit, still got the other two.

I see this post get revisited frequently, so I thought it would be a good place to ask--

We are considering adding Garmin Xero C1 Chronographs (bullet velocity measurement tools, not time pieces) to the inventory, but I was wondering if there were any die hard Garmin watch lovers out there that have recommendations for any Garmin watches / gear.

I'm not a big fan of carrying electronics, but their new chrono gets a lot of rave reviews.

I could potentially do a special AfricaHunting Group buy if enough folks are interested in it (assuming you haven't already picked one up).

I see this post get revisited frequently, so I thought it would be a good place to ask--

We are considering adding Garmin Xero C1 Chronographs (bullet velocity measurement tools, not time pieces) to the inventory, but I was wondering if there were any die hard Garmin watch lovers out there that have recommendations for any Garmin watches / gear.

I'm not a big fan of carrying electronics, but their new chrono gets a lot of rave reviews.

I could potentially do a special AfricaHunting Group buy if enough folks are interested in it (assuming you haven't already picked one up).

Count me in. Just waiting on the right deal!

I am interested.

Safe shooting

Reactions: WAB
redone.jpg

One of the watches I had assembled. Seiko 4R35 movement in a modified SKX type case. Shroud made from naval bronze, and assembled with blind hole screws. The bezel insert is sapphire, rear printed with lume applied so the hash marks and numerals can be seen in darkness. Domed sapphire crystal. The bezel itself was made by a fellow up in.... Ohio I think. The back is engraved "The Dog's Bollocks", because I think this one turned out well, has been worn quite a bit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68ok9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!