What was your first African Game?

What was your first African Game? Was it a target of opportunity or was it hunted intentionally? Myself it was a blue wildebeest, took me a bit to figure out you take what Africa gives as you may not get a second chance, fortunately I was able to take the Nyala I had passed on waiting for a Sable...View attachment 426186View attachment 426189
Beautiful animals. Congratulations! For me zebra, impala, kudu, black wildebeest, spring buck on my first trip

Kudu was my first in SA

521527C4-E377-4A8F-971E-AC968FE71814.jpeg

Impala @ 230m with a hired rifle.
I used the PH 7mmRM Sakp with a Swarovski Z6.
Nice rig and 10 one shot kills the PH was happy too.

Impala

An impala from Dirk De Bod's place in Namibia in 2008. Nick Nolte was my actual PH. Two really terrific guys. We were all "somewhat younger than that now ......." With apologies to Bob Dylan.

Two great Pros/  Dirk de Bod & Nick Nolte
My first safari was with Nick Nolte as well though he wasn’t my PH. Love the area he has. My first animal wasn’t near as impressive as everyone else’s here. We were hunting for Gemsbok but kept running into Steenbok. They weren’t on my list but after seeing several my PH suggested we break the ice with one. So that was my first. Got the Gemsbok later that afternoon.
B2B0F926-F541-4A24-A291-8B83FAFA7F92.jpeg

My first was an East Cape Kudu. I was hunting @HuntersHill_Safaris and my awesome PH Jason took me to this area off the farm where he had seen some Kudu recently.
IMG_20181029_233810.jpg

My first safari was with Nick Nolte as well though he wasn’t my PH. Love the area he has. My first animal wasn’t near as impressive as everyone else’s here. We were hunting for Gemsbok but kept running into Steenbok. They weren’t on my list but after seeing several my PH suggested we break the ice with one. So that was my first. Got the Gemsbok later that afternoon.
View attachment 426464

It's Cool, some people go there to pursue the Tiny Ten.

I do think that Gemsbok are nice . Something about the straight horns.

Hell, I think Warthogs are cool too.

It was my birthday in 2019 and our PH wouldn't let the sun fall until we had something in the salt. We spotted a mix bag of animals to our right and drove past them. Stopped the truck and went back for a look. This beautiful old Blue Wildebeest had been kicked out of the heard, being chased off by the younger and stronger male. We lined up on the sticks at about 150 yard with him quartering towards us. I hit him on the front point of the left shoulder. I followed up with a running away quartering shot through the ribs and into the lungs. The hours and hours of practice with my CZ550 375H&H paid off in spades. It was a very good birthday.
1632565379892.png

First safari was Zambezi Valley with PH Owen Lewis. First day, 20 minutes from camp we stalked a kudu bull, but he got away. A few days later we got my cape buffalo - one shot kill at 70 yards. It took until day 10 to finally see another kudu which we got.

Blesbok in Namibia. Wife and son got first dibs and had shot animals. Coming back from an outing and nearly back at the lodge, we saw some animals on the other side of a dam. Climbed up the back side and used the top as a rest. The back of the dam was loose gravel and I was kind of scrambling to stay in place for my shot. My PH took one for the team and stood below me on some firmer ground so I could use him for support. Made a good shot.

My first was a baboon. ended up shooting over 10 on that trip - they needed some culling done in the area. Every one that shouted "yahoo-yahoo" got shot.

Blue wildebeest for me. Taken on first safari in 2014. Wasn't part of my package, but since this is the animal that always symbolized "Africa" for me, I really wanted to take one.,,,,,,so I payed a little extra for the privilege.
Taken with my Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag and 225 grain Nosler accubond bullets.

Impala in Limpop SA. Was our first night in country- we'd arrived in the morning, made it to camp and got settled, verified rifles were sighted in (PH hired 308 Ruger American for me) and had time for an evening walk about. Happened across a nice group with this Ram in the herd, and after a short stalk got set up and waited for him to step clear of those behind him. Dead perfect shot, he sprung into the air and crumbled in a heap when he landed.

Was on my list and an encounter of opportunity. A good start before actual "first hunting day" to settle nerves, and was done in the company of my brother and father.

IMG_9561.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Cool, some people go there to pursue the Tiny Ten.

I do think that Gemsbok are nice . Something about the straight horns.

Hell, I think Warthogs are cool too.
Let’s be honest…they’re all cool!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross