Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
What was your first African Game? Was it a target of opportunity or was it hunted intentionally? Myself it was a blue wildebeest, took me a bit to figure out you take what Africa gives as you may not get a second chance, fortunately I was able to take the Nyala I had passed on waiting for a Sable...
241500218_10223196768922135_7056051805649835844_n.jpg
241162624_10223166578807401_1502940732084046948_n.jpg

Blue Wildebeest. It was on my list. It was a part of my original package. My PH suggested we start day one looking for a wildebeest - why he decided that he didn't say and I didn't ask; it was good by me. We found a group of 4 bulls feeding together. We had to do a big circle around to get the wind in our favor (Jen Psaki would have been proud). He got me set up 170 yards from it... and I promptly blew the shot. First time off sticks shooting at an animal? Nerves? Probably both. We spent 8 miles hiking and following that small herd and late in the afternoon I made good on a second attempt at close to the same distance. There were other elements to the story that added to the experience for me. It was a great way to kick off Africa (not the missing). It was one of only two I had skinned for a shoulder mount. I am very happy with it; I am very happy it was my first African game animal.

P1010740.jpg

I'll join in. Walk and Stalk in the bush in Namibia.

Eland.jpg

I have to add the first bow kill. Spot and Stalk.
BOW BOSS.jpg

Blue Wildebeest. It was on my list. It was a part of my original package. My PH suggested we start day one looking for a wildebeest - why he decided that he didn't say and I didn't ask; it was good by me. We found a group of 4 bulls feeding together. We had to do a big circle around to get the wind in our favor (Jen Psaki would have been proud). He got me set up 170 yards from it... and I promptly blew the shot. First time off sticks shooting at an animal? Nerves? Probably both. We spent 8 miles hiking and following that small herd and late in the afternoon I made good on a second attempt at close to the same distance. There were other elements to the story that added to the experience for me. It was a great way to kick off Africa (not the missing). It was one of only two I had skinned for a shoulder mount. I am very happy with it; I am very happy it was my first African game animal.

View attachment 426405
great story my friend thanks for sharing.

Mine was a impala. I got a chance at him from 250 yards but shot over his back. But he was more interested in chasing his girls than he was about being shot at.

We circled around him and got to 90 yards, the grass and brush was so thick that I had to stand up to make the shot. He dropped like a rock when I pulled the trigger. The Barnes 225 grain TTSX out of my .340 Weatherby did its job.

That's the Indian Ocean in the background.

167.jpg
110.jpg
Impalla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
E1671514-F008-479D-A2E8-E19BD89224D0.jpeg
A4D14006-5E43-4FDD-8B2A-C361B9C16489.jpeg

My first “African Game” was actually harvested Stateside. I nabbed a Gemsbok tag for an Off-range hunt near the WSMR in New Mexico. Was a lot of fun and after 5 days we got a big one.

My first harvest in Africa was a Sable in Limpopo, SA. We took a break from chasing Buffs to put something in the salt. The Sable was first. Later that day a Nyala.

My first safari was in Zimbabwe. We were careening down a narrow track at high speeds in the middle of the first night, looking like a scene from Mad Max, attempting to reach our first camp. A cow kudu leaped from the darkness to the center of the slender trail and we hit her. I had to put her out of her misery. An ignominious beginning of a great adventure.

Impala

An impala from Dirk De Bod's place in Namibia in 2008. Nick Nolte was my actual PH. Two really terrific guys. We were all "somewhat younger than that now ......." With apologies to Bob Dylan.

Two great Pros/  Dirk de Bod & Nick Nolte

Last light - first evening in camp; kneeling from the sticks and way closer than I would have ever thought possible. And ended up being the easiest shot of the safari.
20210718_180545.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraAppl

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois
We still have a few blesbok females and Wildebeest females to cull this season! We are about to get busy with our trophy hunting!