What velocity for 30-06 and 240gr Woodlegh PP?

@cmk If you want to try 240 grain Woodleigh PP projectiles in a .30-06 without creating excess pressure, you need to first determine whether or not it has a tight barrel. The following advice is derived from my own experience with the tight barrel in my ZG47 .30-06 rifle. Actual internal dimensions were verified via use of a soft lead slug.
The easiest way to determine barrel tightness in a .30-06 via a shooting test is to buy a packet of standard 150 grain spitzer flat-base loads and a packet of 150 grain spitzer boat-tail loads; and to then fire a chrongraphed test series with each packet. If both loads come within cooey of advertised factory test velocities you should be good to go, provided that the rifle’s chamber is set up for .220 grain round nose projectiles. If the flat nose load is 150-200 fps slower than the advertised test velocity ... I advise you to select a different rifle for your 240 grain reloading experiment.
Best of luck with your reloading, shooting and hunting.

Should have read ‘if the flat-base load is 150-200 fps slower’, in the second to last sentence. I typed those words a bit too late in the evening, apparently.

Last edited:
About 30 years ago I did some loading with the Barnes .032" jacket .308 250 gr bullets. In the 30-06 I recall the top velocity was about 2200 from a 24" barrel which put the trajectory about the same as a 30-30. I figured they'd be effective enough for something out to about 150 yards, but I also figured I could come up with a better performing cartridge - so I loaded the 250s into 300 wbys and got velocities about like 30-06 180 grs. Not too long after that I came across a 338 Win Mag that pretty much ended the project.

Its no great trick to get 2600 plus with a 200 gr. Accubond or partition in my Win. mod. 70 fwt pre 64 or my Win. mod 54 and Ruger 77..I went to that bullet some years back and have shot 7 elk with it and a number of deer, getting about the same velocity as I got with the 180 Nosler I used for years...My pressures don't indicate an over load, nor do the pressure signs, and those cases reload up to 10 times with one trim in a 10 shot case.

My load is 58 grs. of RL-22, WW brass, 210 FEd primer for 2652 FPS in a 22" barrel, average of 10 shots on my chronograph, and it works in all 3 rifles...Normally I don't quote loads, so suggest if you try this load that you start the normal 5% below and work up...

I never went back to 180s or 150s after that first elk with the load..

I'm using Remington factory loads of 220gn Core-lokt at 2450fps from my 7600 for use on Sambar deer in thick forrested conditions and it does an excellent job of getting through and punching down the deer + leaving excellent blood trails to follow, if, and when, neccessary.

Its no great trick to get 2600 plus with a 200 gr. Accubond or partition in my Win. mod. 70 fwt pre 64 or my Win. mod 54 and Ruger 77..I went to that bullet some years back and have shot 7 elk with it and a number of deer, getting about the same velocity as I got with the 180 Nosler I used for years...My pressures don't indicate an over load, nor do the pressure signs, and those cases reload up to 10 times with one trim in a 10 shot case.

My load is 58 grs. of RL-22, WW brass, 210 FEd primer for 2652 FPS in a 22" barrel, average of 10 shots on my chronograph, and it works in all 3 rifles...Normally I don't quote loads, so suggest if you try this load that you start the normal 5% below and work up...

I never went back to 180s or 150s after that first elk with the load..
I load the 200 grainers with about 53-54grs of Norma MRP (which is "the same" as RL22). I use Fed 215's or CCI 250's, though. Not a particularly hot load, but it works well in my rifle.

I tried the 240 Woodleigh some years ago in my 30-06 26 in mod. 70 pre 64 and got about 2200 plus a little, It didn't impress me on PG at all...ended up giving them to my pH and shot up my 220 gr. NOslers….since that time Ive used the 200 gr. partition and Accubonds on elk every year and on PG, The 200 gr. at a good 2700 FPS is a killer.

It'd be interesting to ask Geoff at Woodleigh's why. Woodleigh has always advised staying within the velocities for their bullets, so could it be in this case that your bullets are intended only for the 30/06? (n)
@Timbo
I have pushed the 35 cal 225grain woodleigh PPSP way beyond its limits to 2,950 fps with no ill effects and impact velocity was still above Geoffs max recommended. The bullet performance was outstanding on a Hartman zebra stallion with almost complete penetration. The bullet was found under the skin on the offside after smashing both shoulders and destroying everything in its path.
Bob

4350 ft/lbs of muzzle energy....... :A Outta:

Hello cmk,

I have some very interesting reloading info on the 30-06 and 180-200-220 and this 240 grs bullet.
Here it is the one of the Woodleigh 240 grs bullet and R22.
Hope to be useful to you.

Best!

CF

Attachments

• 240 Woodleigh R 22.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 164
4350 ft/lbs of muzzle energy....... :A Outta:
@sestoppelman
Good to see you can do m aths as that's the same as my computer came up with.
The velocity was chronoed with a Chrony chronograph and is correct using the load recommend by load from a disc.
Bob

I am lousy at math,, but my calculator does pretty well...:LOL:
I don't think even PO Ackley was as brave as some of youse down under fellas!! Some of his claimed velocities would peel the paint right off the walls!:A Banana:
Yes, I know he didn't have access to modern powders...:rolleyes:

I load the 200 grainers with about 53-54grs of Norma MRP (which is "the same" as RL22). I use Fed 215's or CCI 250's, though. Not a particularly hot load, but it works well in my rifle.

I've read that RL22 can vary from lot to lot. My recently purchased lot of RL22 at 56.0 grains with a Fed 215 primer and Lapua brass gave good accuracy with 200 gr NPTs. I chronograped exactly one - it went 2,605 fps in a 22" Tikka 30-06.

No pressure signs, but I suspect it was getting up there.

Same load I used in a Ruger 77, and about the same speed. It was accurate too.

I am lousy at math,, but my calculator does pretty well...:LOL:
I don't think even PO Ackley was as brave as some of youse down under fellas!! Some of his claimed velocities would peel the paint right off the walls!:A Banana:
Yes, I know he didn't have access to modern powders...:rolleyes:
@sestoppelman
Easy bolt lift, up to my 6th reload, primer pockets tight as new and haven't needed trimming yet.
Conclusion loads must be safe for consistent use in MY rifle.
Others that load the accubonds and 225grain Barnes to 2,850 fps and the Speer hotcore to close to 2,700 fps
Must think so to. Just because people can SAFELY reload the Whelen to 4,000fpe at the muzzle and higher DOESN'T mean we are hotroding just being different within SAFE parameters.
I get the same doubter with my 25 but when they actually see the speeds and compare the case with a new one they soon sing a different song and become interested in learning and stop doubting.
Bob

:DWhy,, its magic! :sneaky:

I was able to squeeze 2440 ft per second using a Barnes original 300 grain slug in a 338-06 (took a nice Big blue bull eland in Zim) but stick to 200 grain nosler partitions in the 30-06 at 2550. Have you tried using Magnum primers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg