What the international energy agency has planned for us all.....

As a photographer I have an aesthetic problem with both wind and solar, because they are ugly. Additionally, I looked at some of the wind power leases and they specifically had clauses in there about shooting/hunting near towers. Not sure about solar but they completely cover the area so no place to hunt. Just saying there are some other considerations too.

What I see is a push to put energy production out in the "country" where the majority of the population will never or seldom see it or put up with it's drawbacks. Then progressives wonder why they aren't real popular in flyover country.

Thorium salt reactors are likely the way to go. Least dangerous, and as I understand it, the waste is re-usable.

But, too many people are simply and profoundly ignorant of the physics of the deal, or have little to no perspective. They hear "nuclear" and knee-jerk to a no, based almost exclusively on misinformation

the 3 Mile Island "leak" resulted in a release of radioactive material which was about 2X what our normal, every day dose of cosmic radiation is. IOW, so little as to be utterly without meaning.

Chernobyl was built on a design never used in the west precisely because of the real possibility of what happened to it.

Thorium salt reactors are likely the way to go. Least dangerous, and as I understand it, the waste is re-usable.

But, too many people are simply and profoundly ignorant of the physics of the deal, or have little to no perspective. They hear "nuclear" and knee-jerk to a no, based almost exclusively on misinformation

the 3 Mile Island "leak" resulted in a release of radioactive material which was about 2X what our normal, every day dose of cosmic radiation is. IOW, so little as to be utterly without meaning.

Chernobyl was built on a design never used in the west precisely because of the real possibility of what happened to it.

The French and Canadian designs are outstanding. I don’t think that a candu reactor has ever had a significant negative event.

All I know is the fuc***g world has gone mad!

FYI

How many coal-fired power plants are there in the world today?

Green New Deal???

The EU has 468 - & building 27 more... Total 495,

Turkey has 56 - & building 93 more... Total 149, South

Africa has 79 - & building 24 more... Total 103,

India has 589 - & building 446 more... Total 1035,

Philippines has 19 - & building 60 more... Total 79,

South Korea has 58 - & building 26 more... Total 84,

Japan has 90 - & building 45 more... Total 135,

China has 2,363 - & building 1,171 more... Total = 3,534.

That’s 5,615 projected coal powered plants in just 8 countries.

USA has 15 - & building 0 more... Total = 15.

And Democrat politicians with their "Green New Deal” want to brainwash us and shut down those 15 plants in order to "Save” the planet.

And Democrat politicians with their "Green New Deal” want to brainwash us and shut down those 15 plants in order to "Save” the planet.

Have you watched Michael Moore's "Planet of the Humans" yet?

It puts evidence behind our suspicions that this whole thing is nothing but a con game.

I get your general point and agree with it, but where did you get 15 coal powered plants in the USA? I believe there are much more than that.

Something else they don't mention about the electric vehicles: What happens if you get caught in a blizzard or big accident on the highway and it's shut down? How long will the batteries last running a heater or a/c? Who will get to you to recharge so you can move? Electrics make good commuter scooters but can't cut it out on the highway. Not in the foreseeable future. Fossil fuels will never be completely eliminated.

I get your general point and agree with it, but where did you get 15 coal powered plants in the USA? I believe there are much more than that.
yeah, there are several hundred as of 2019.

funny. they're trying to replace coal plants with "biomass" plants. "Biomass" is a euphemism for [mostly] wood. Wood is light years away from being as efficient a source of energy as coal.

Looks like a real mess.....

BBC News - Climate change: Ban all gas boilers from 2025 to reach net-zero
"energy experts" ? you mean global warming activists. They will have everyone back on non-farting horses by then if allowed to dominate the energy sector. If you really want to upset a global warming "expert", ask them about nuclear power.

I don't think the oil companies are the problem when it comes to nuclear power, the greenie culture is. For many environmentalist groups using nuclear power to just produce electricity is verboden, to actually power anything else would give them complete heart failure.

There's no way they'll reach their lofty "sustainable energy" goals with wind and solar unless there is some kind of huge breakthrough in battery technology. Both of those sources aren't constant, there's night and there are wind free days so there always has to be some type of back up power facility.

Additionally it's sad that the people so concerned about the environment have no problem with slapping up some 300 foot tall wind turbines on pristine landscapes or cover many square miles with solar farms.
South Australia went idiot green and demolished the last coal-fired power station. Currently using wind farms ( I've seen these ugly edifices down there) and solar. Guess what happens when both stop generating? they buy power from a nearby state that hasn't gone stupid. Ask some of the locals about the instability of power supply.

Idiot journalists keep telling us in NZ that methane from our farm animals is a big climate issue BUT it turns out that industrial scale rice paddies are the most significant international contributor by far of methane gas. Italy and India are making serious efforts to mitigate that issue. I have also read that the largest methane issue in the US is related to former President Trump removing the requirement for oil companies to put extracted methane back into the ground. Cattle feed lots are also reportedly a major concern in the USA which is one reason why NZ feedlot operators maximise grass feeding.
It seems that, again and again, environmental problems are being created and exacerbated by rich people who bribe the politicians to reduce their costs whilst pocketing the difference and paying lobbyists to tell everyone else that environmental regulations will cost everyone extra money. That might be true in regard to some short term consequences BUT in the medium and long terms, lax environmental laws harm everyone whilst allowing the avaricious to pile up money that they cannot take with them.

None of the above is to say that I support ludicrous notions such as lead shot is always bad. A friend of mine who is probably dead by now was an Ohio State Wildlife? Ranger who helped to reintroduce whitetail deer to that state and was involved in the famous lead/waterfowl survey. He disagreed with the illogical actions that were allegedly based on the survey findings.
The challenge, as always, is to have logical science based discussions which are also grounded in economic fact. One of the biggest reported issues in the USA is reportedly the diversion of a major proportion of science funding over perhaps as long as a half century from pure science to defence related spending. Given the graft and wastage that every country seems to experience with the latter, that cannot be a good thing.

Something else they don't mention about the electric vehicles: What happens if you get caught in a blizzard or big accident on the highway and it's shut down? How long will the batteries last running a heater or a/c? Who will get to you to recharge so you can move? Electrics make good commuter scooters but can't cut it out on the highway. Not in the foreseeable future. Fossil fuels will never be completely eliminated.

There were failsafes at Chernobyl, that is until the engineers disabled them. The machinery wasn't at fault, the brain-dead operators were and they were the first to suffer the radiation exposure.

Idiot journalists keep telling us in NZ that methane from our farm animals is a big climate issue BUT it turns out that industrial scale rice paddies are the most significant international contributor by far of methane gas. Italy and India are making serious efforts to mitigate that issue. I have also read that the largest methane issue in the US is related to former President Trump removing the requirement for oil companies to put extracted methane back into the ground. Cattle feed lots are also reportedly a major concern in the USA which is one reason why NZ feedlot operators maximise grass feeding.
It seems that, again and again, environmental problems are being created and exacerbated by rich people who bribe the politicians to reduce their costs whilst pocketing the difference and paying lobbyists to tell everyone else that environmental regulations will cost everyone extra money. That might be true in regard to some short term consequences BUT in the medium and long terms, lax environmental laws harm everyone whilst allowing the avaricious to pile up money that they cannot take with them.

None of the above is to say that I support ludicrous notions such as lead shot is always bad. A friend of mine who is probably dead by now was an Ohio State Wildlife? Ranger who helped to reintroduce whitetail deer to that state and was involved in the famous lead/waterfowl survey. He disagreed with the illogical actions that were allegedly based on the survey findings.
The challenge, as always, is to have logical science based discussions which are also grounded in economic fact. One of the biggest reported issues in the USA is reportedly the diversion of a major proportion of science funding over perhaps as long as a half century from pure science to defence related spending. Given the graft and wastage that every country seems to experience with the latter, that cannot be a good thing.
Why do so many people blame the businessmen for the bribery, but seem to hand-wave away the moral (and legal) culpability of the politicians who are in fact accepting the bribes, and in many cases are operating de facto protection rackets, the same way La Cosa Nostra does?

If you advocate for more government, don't be surprised when you get more government and the corruption that comes with it.

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges (The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws)

Roman orator and lawyer Tacitus

There were failsafes at Chernobyl, that is until the engineers disabled them. The machinery wasn't at fault, the brain-dead operators were and they were the first to suffer the radiation exposure.
The use of graphite as a moderator is bad design. Irrespective of safeguards, graphite moderation is not done at all in the West that I am aware of.

If they had used water as a moderator, then they would not have had the terrible graphite fire spewing radiation all over the place. Removing the safeguards made this possible, and graphite made it immeasurably worse.

Why do so many people blame the businessmen for the bribery, but seem to hand-wave away the moral (and legal) culpability of the politicians who are in fact accepting the bribes, and in many cases are operating de facto protection rackets, the same way La Cosa Nostra does?

If you advocate for more government, don't be surprised when you get more government and the corruption that comes with it.

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges (The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws)

Roman orator and lawyer Tacitus
@sgt_zim I recognise your point BUT pointing out that an important regulation needs to be reimposed by the US Federal government (if it has not already happened) is not asking for more government. The US Federal government required meat companies exporting to the USA to significantly upgrade their processes for food safety purposes circa 1970? onward BUT took the best part of forty (40) years, according to my recollection, to bring the US meat packing industry up to similar standards.
We could also talk about municipal water quality, pollution of the Colorado river, etc. Enforcement of various health and safety laws for the good of local, national and international populations is not ‘more government’. It is government.
There will always be corruption. I did not simply ‘blame the businessmen’. I simply made a quick reference to the role of corruption in respect of identified climate issues. It is now half a century since the increase in global CO2 levels was first noted/reported. Sometime in the last six months or so our local paper published an article about the first Nobel Prize awarded (in the 1970s) for that work. One of the joint recipients was a New Zealand scientist who took his measurements about half an hour’s drive from my current home.
Have a good week and keep your posts coming. I enjoy reading them.

Regulations and controls are fine and necessary when backed by hard science. It's when the corrupt politicians and the activists with their emotional raving become involved that cause the problems. They get some hairbrained notion and blat and bellow until they overrule the science, not taking into consideration the side effects of their stupidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.