What scope for 375 Model 70?

Ruraldoc

AH fanatic
Joined
Jul 5, 2022
Messages
697
Reaction score
1,897
Media
5
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
nra
Hunted
USA,Canada,RSA
I have a Winchester model 70 Alaskan in 375, New Baco gun with Warne bases and Warne QD rings.

Want to hunt plains game and cow buffalo soon.

What scope would you guys recommend with a budget of 1500 USD?
 

Leupold 1-5X Fire dot duplex.

You can't go wrong with the Trijicon, however this is another option.

On my Winchester 70 Alaskan, .375 H&H I had a Leupold 2-7 33mm VXR 30 mm red dot with the German #4 RETICLE, 100-yard shots were like eating cake. Easy.

I think the VX-5HD is up to the task.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.34 AM.png
    708.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.36 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.39 AM.png
    591 KB · Views: 268
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.41 AM.png
    580.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.38.42 AM.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 261
I have a Leupold VXR with a red dot duplex in 3-9x50. Figure I need a little more field of view on the low end. I do have a Leica 2.5-10x42 and a Ziess 2-8x42. Neither have illumination. Leica has a 4a. Ziess has a bold Z plex.
 
Need to know if I need 1-5 or 1-6 to maximize field of view for Buffalo.
 
I will defer to the experienced African hunters here on this.

Hunting (shooting) wild hogs here in the swamps of Louisiana, a 1-5x scope is plenty.

I usually hunt with a scope on 2.5 X. If I get close, I turn it down to 1X or 1.5X.

HOWEVER, I would follow the advice of the old African hands here.
 
Need to know if I need 1-5 or 1-6 to maximize field of view for Buffalo.
Where will you be hunting? If it’s fairly thick stuff you might be overthinking this one, your scope will probably be on 1 or 2. I shot my buff at 40 yards first shot and 12 yards second shot in the thick mopani. I was using my 404J with a swaro Z8 0.75-6 and it stayed on .75 to 2 the entire hunt. Never found a need to dial it up past 2.
On two trips to Limpopo My longest PG shot was 200 yards, most were 75-100 yards - I was using a 270 with a Leica 2-10 and it stayed on 6 the entire time. again, I suppose it depends on the terrain you’ll be hunting
 
Have Nikon Monarch Africans on my 375 and 404J. Take one along QD fitted for my 458 Lott if I want to slap it on. Have been really happy with their performance and durability.
 
I use 2 scopes, a 1.5x5 for buffalo sighted dead on @ 50yds and a 3.5x10 sighted 2 inches high at 100 yds for plains game. Both Leupold vx3i. I also have both fitted with Warne QD’s. This combo worked perfectly for me. My iron sights are sighted in dead on at 50 yds also. Rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375H&H.
 
Meopita 1.7X10, you are covered from 10 yards to 500 with room to spare. Falls in your budget with good glass. Swarovski 1.7X13.3 is what I would pick if money was no issue.

375H&H is 300yard capable why hold it back with a 5 or 6X scope? Even at 10 yards you will have no problem making the shot on 1.7 power.
 
I’d probably go with a Leupold VX-5 HD in 2-10 with Firedot reticle. I’ve got one on my .338 and like it so much I’m putting the same scope on my 416 Hoffman. I think it’d be an excellent choice for a 375.
 
The 4-10x will do fine if your shots are over 100yds.
the 3-9x might help a bit for those shots under 100yds
I hunt in a variety of conditions and I like the lower end to be 2.5 or lower.
I use a Weaver 2-10x38 and I'm happy with it.
 
I have the same on my 375.
 
First consider your budget. No sense in looking at a Leica, Swaro or Zeiss if you can't afford them. That being said, other brands I'd trust on a DG hunt are Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Trijicon and Leupold. Will a Leupold get you a buffalo the same as a Swaro...sure, but there are HUGE differences in optical quality. It's up to you to decide if you want to pay for it.

Illuminated vs non-illumintated. I really like it but it does add cost and weight.

You should have TRUE 1x for shots under 50 yards on DG, so you can shoot both eyes open if needed. 5x is good for most people out beyond 200 yards with practice.

@Kevin Peacocke beat me to my last point of eye relief. It should be around 4" or so to prevent scope cut.

There are a lot of things to consider and much like your rifle, it's a reflection of how you hunt. My current DG rifle is a Blaser R8 with a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. IMO - buy the absolute best scope you can afford with the options you desire. If you want something better (more expensive), save up to get it.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 3.21.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 3.21.16 PM.png
    658.3 KB · Views: 209

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,512
Members
169,576
Latest member
Teresa7277
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top