What rifle do you think?

JohannS

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa and USA
Hi guys,
I am wondering what you guys thought. I am looking for a new rifle for hunting here on the farm. The majority of animals I hunt are kudu, wildebeest, zebra, impala, warthogs, and animals of that nature. I do not have the deepest pockets but am willing to spend around $2000. Many friends have mentioned the 9.3x62 but I am open for new ideas. Thanks for the help and good hunting.

Don't know what rifle's/calibers you currently own, but I love the Remington 700 personally. If you want a do it all caliber for the animals mentioned i would lean toward the 338 win mag or the 8mm rem mag, the factory loads for the 338 would be more available, but both are excellent cartridges. There is always the 35Whelen....Good luck with you next investment.

.30 would do but I prefer a little more punch and longer range option and the Wby 338-378 would take you out too 800yds easily. 9.2 is also great and little less than 375 H H. Ultimately it's what you are most accurate with.

Hi guys,
I am wondering what you guys thought. I am looking for a new rifle for hunting here on the farm. The majority of animals I hunt are kudu, wildebeest, zebra, impala, warthogs, and animals of that nature. I do not have the deepest pockets but am willing to spend around $2000. Many friends have mentioned the 9.3x62 but I am open for new ideas. Thanks for the help and good hunting.

It's kind of difficult to answer your question because from what I understand guns in RSA cost quite a bit more than we pay in the U.S. If I was keeping cost down, I'd definitely look at the Tikka T3's if they can be had in RSA. It's less expensive Sako, but not supper quality on the action or accuracy. In the U.S. a blued version with synthetic stock goes for about $550. In my opinion it is hands down the most gun for the money. Is it pretty? Only when you're shooting it and not looking at it!

As for caliber, I'd go with any of the .30 cals.

Something in the 30-06 class and upwards. My personal fav is the 9.3x62, hits hard, recoil not too bad. Still, next time I go to Africa for plains game, I see either my BRNO '06 or my Steyr M Professional 7x64 accompanying me. As far as the rifle goes, there are too many to choose from. Literally too many! I am partial to the CZ line, but also Ruger's, Remington 700's are great even if they dont have controlled round feed. For PG its not that critical to worry about. I do prefer it in a big bore rifle though. Many here are nuts for the Model 70 Winchester though I confess I have never really been bit by them. Phils Tikka mention is worth a look, very accurate guns overall and priced reasonably. Too many choices, so little time.

UXBRIDGE, Tend to agree with all what kind of terrain do you mostly hunt, that would also help, not having the deepest pockets, it might be a good idea to buy something as universal as possible, something that would work as well for plains game as it would for Dangerous, you would be saving money and alot of it if you bought something like this as you would also be kitted out for the ocassional dangerous game safari/hunt.

I would go for a 375 H&H.

My best always.

Like me, perhaps you're 'old school', into nostalgia, and want a fine rifle that Tom, Dick and Harry don't have..? Then get yourself a CZ in .300 H&H. It can do all of the above, and then some.

Thank you very much for the input guys. Ill take it in close consideration when picking out a rifle. I will be buying my rifle in the US because there are more to choose from. Thanks again

Thank you very much for the input guys. Ill take it in close consideration when picking out a rifle. I will be buying my rifle in the US because there are more to choose from. Thanks again

I'm sure it goes without saying, but make sure you've got yourself straight with BOTH the RSA and USA governments on this. It's still a fairly easy thing for a U.S. citizen to buy a rifle. We do however have to fill out a form and the shop has to get an approval before actually selling us the gun. It's never been more than a 5 minute event for me, but for a non-US citizen, I'm not sure what you should expect.

Outside of that, I would highly advise you to pick up some ammo and shoot that rifle a bunch of times before you leave the country. Better to make sure it's in proper condition before you leave.

Hi there,

308 - 30 06 - 7 mm rem...

cheers

Hi UxbridgeSafari

The 300 Win Mag is my recommendation though the wife and I will be hunting with a 308 Win and a 30-06 on this trip over if you look at my pics all of those animals where taken with a 300 Win Mag in a Ruger Hawkeye you can pick one up for around 900 dollars and use the rest of the money to add a good scope, a better trigger system and Silencer and you'll have a rifle that'll take any Plains Game animal in Africa and you should be able to do it all for well under 2000 dollars and have a rifle that you or your clients would be proud to use. If your going to be using it on the farm here in the USA then you may have to leave the Silencer off.

Uxbridge Safari...

Is this going to be your personal rifle or a rifle that clients will rent from you or both?

From talking to and being with PH's from South Africa...what rifles makes are you available to you that you have a selection to purchase from?
Winchester, Ruger, Sako, CZ, Remington. This will make a difference in what model you decide to purchase.

Do you reload and what components are available to you, or do you shoot factory ammo all The time and again what is available at your nearest store. This again will influence you rifle purchase.

Personal use:
300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
375 H & H
9.3 X 62
depending on your stature i would lean toward the bottom 3, with the 338 Win Mag the leader from the animals you have listed.

Personal loaner rifle to clients:
7 MM Rem Mag
300 Win Mag

again you should probably stay with a mild recoiling rifle to better cover a wider range of potential clients.

Hi guys,

Yeehaa Docman now thats a gun I'd like to have one of the sexiest cases ever molded!!!!

A Tikka T3 in 9.3x62 is my recommendation.

James 100% correct in your way of thought, Also he could potentially have a friend buy the rifle and then buy it from him/you would have to obtain a temprary and then a permanent import permit into South Africa only once this has been granted you can potentially apply for a liscense, I remember it went something like this for me whn I bought my 500 NE, I would seriously consider just buying one here but dont let me put you off.

I just battled my gat off to get all in line with red tape and a politics, remember a CZ is an extremely reliable rifle and treasonably affordable its a rough and tough gun but it is well worth what you pay for it, walk into Truvelo, Classic arms, Sabi Arms these are guys with a helluva variety in weaponrry!

My best always O Ja would like to wish you all a very happy and prosperous 2012!

Yes a great friend of mine will buy the rifle with me here in the US and he will bring it back with him on his next trip. But all these guns listed are great but I already have my 308 and its been my go to gun for more than 12 years now. I am looking for a rifle that can take the animals listed and later on go a little bit larger. Thanks again

Now with that said " can take the animals listed and later on go a little bit larger." i suggest that you go with one of the following.

By larger you now taking a step up and are talking Giraffe, Eland & Cape Buffalo.

My rifle caliber suggestions now turn to the following. Again you need to do your checking before purchasing to see what is available in your market place. Any of these should take you into that next step. Plus these will give you good accuracy from 100 to 200 yards with a heavy pay load.

9.3 X 62
375 H & H
404 ........ range out to 150 yards for plains game, however very good close rifle for all of Africa.
416 Rigby.range out to 150 yards for plains game, however very good close rifle for all of Africa.

Yes a great friend of mine will buy the rifle with me here in the US and he will bring it back with him on his next trip. But all these guns listed are great but I already have my 308 and its been my go to gun for more than 12 years now. I am looking for a rifle that can take the animals listed and later on go a little bit larger. Thanks again

You do know that this is illegal in the USA, and could land you and your firend in a lot of trouble and a Federal mess. This is a straw purchase and not advisable for either of you.

Yes a great friend of mine will buy the rifle with me here in the US and he will bring it back with him on his next trip.

If you already have a .308, I would go for a .375 HH.

Have you considered a second hand purchase in SA ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg