What percentage of the trophy fee in South Africa goes to the Outfitter?

kdiver58

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I'm just curious who gets what of the trophy fee in South Africa .. Thanks K

Mmmm, can of worms...

1. If you are hunting with the owner of the farm, he takes 100% of the trophy fee. Now this causes some problems from a technical and practical point of view:

a. If you want to shoot a great trophy, you might not find that on his farm, but because he bags 100% of the trophy fee, he will probably try and convince you to shoot "a great representative" of the species.
b. Example: I want to come and hunt in the US. I want to shoot white tail. Where should I go to shoot the biggest one?
c. So, the same applies for Africa: you want to come and shoot a very big A,B, or C. Where then, geographically and statistically speaking, will you find the biggest of those?
d. The outfitter/ph/game farm owner would like to tell you on his farm. It minimizes his costs and maximizes profits. It is business after all. An excellent outfitter would walk the extra mile and take you to where you will find the best trophy if it is not on his farm.

2. You are hunting with an outfitter that does not own a game farm:
a. He buys the animal from the game farm owner at a pre-determined price in ZAR and sell to you in US$. So typically this can be about 2-300% markup on the ZAR price and in some cases much more.
b. He pays the owner daily rates etc.
c. This outfitter/ph is not bound geographically so theoretically should correspond with you to find out which animals on your wish list are the most important and what kind of experience you would like to have.
d. This, theoretically, will enable the outfitter to tailor-make your hunt to your needs, requirements and expectations.

Varies and it comes down to the % market up he does on the animal after paying the landowner. could be 20% up to 100% or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonTur

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you