What Line Of Work Are You In

Wow another millwright on the sight. In 1974 I got hired at caterpillar tractor company and got into the millwright apprentice program. I thought I had found my forever job. Worked at Cat for 11 years then they laid of 13,000 people!!

Moved to Texas and got into the safety side of the oilfield!! Worked drilling, completions and production for 30 years.

Met my wife in the oilfield. She was a petroleum engineer for a major oil company. She worked in production, gas plants, designed compressor stations and facilities for 35 years!! (Yep she’s way smarter than me, but somebody’s got to fix the toilet).

She’s my best friend, hunting, fishing, shooting and traveling companion!!

4 years ago we retired!! We both agree it’s the best job we’ve ever had!!!

Wow another millwright on the sight. In 1974 I got hired at caterpillar tractor company and got into the millwright apprentice program. I thought I had found my forever job. Worked at Cat for 11 years then they laid of 13,000 people!!

Moved to Texas and got into the safety side of the oilfield!! Worked drilling, completions and production for 30 years.

Met my wife in the oilfield. She was a petroleum engineer for a major oil company. She worked in production, gas plants, designed compressor stations and facilities for 35 years!! (Yep she’s way smarter than me, but somebody’s got to fix the toilet).

She’s my best friend, hunting, fishing, shooting and traveling companion!!

4 years ago we retired!! We both agree it’s the best job we’ve ever had!!!

Berretta391 is my husband and best buddy!! I jokingly call him “The Cruise Director” as he finds and plans all of our trips. All I have to do is pack and enjoy. Yup ... being retired where everyday is Saturday is the best job we’ve ever had!! :)

Deepsea captain, large vessels, offshore captain, OIM, jack up drilling rigs.
(and always willing to consider an interesting job offer! Feel free to pm! (y) )

Cool thread idea! I’ll bite…

I am currently the Director of Operations for a thermal optic manufacturer. I have been fortunate enough to “work” in the sports optics industry since 2009. I started in marketing, then into sales, then into the operations side this year. Marketing and Sales is much more fun!

i am now and forever a retired handgun hunter and a music lover and a red wine drinker and a lover of not haveing to do anything i dont want to do.my wife and i just want to enjoy the rest of our 20 or more years having fun,at 78 and 82 we earned that right,ha,ha,.not the answer you wanted,but????

a house builder and furniture maker most of my working life and now that I am retired full time knife making is the passion that gets me out of bed in the morning

Author of a dozen books for or about notable international big game hunters since my retirement in 1999. Before that, I directed the production of SCI's magazines, newspapers and record books.

Bill Quimby
Have enjoyed your writing for years @billrquimby.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I own and run a retail jewelry store. I managed it for 10 years and then bought it 14 years ago. I cut colored gemstones
to help pay for my hunting and fishing addictions. I'm also a jeweler and gemmologist. Bruce
Interesting Bruce, something else we have in common. I worked with my brother in law in his jewelry business for a short while when I finished a gunsmith apprenticeship. He’s still in the business in Austin after 40+ years as a diamond broker and custom jeweler.

I work in a wastewater treatment plant for a small city here in Wisconsin....I do billing, lab work, and maintenance for the whole sewer system....from the house or business and all the way to the river. I have been doing this line of work for going on 16 years.
Currently learning water treatment and that may later take in waste water.

I’m a little late to the show, can’t believe I never saw this thread until now.

I have run a Farm & Ranch Real Estate Brokerage in Texas since ‘08. Involved in rural land and game ranch development for three decades. Worked in the hunting business both outfitting and booking since ‘89. I have been in game ranching since ‘93 and have recently started raising World Class Red Deer on my ranch in the Texas Hill Country.

I’m still fresh into my career after a PhD in geology (graduated 2019 in the UK) and bachelors in economics. I have had on and off work in Zambia in renewable energy but I shall shortly be relocating back to South Africa in the hopes of more stable work. It’s really interesting reading the scope of work people are involved in. Imagine the AH community starting a super conglomerate and being paid in hunting days
Fellow geoscientist!

I am a senior (read that as “old”) mining engineer for an underground coal mining company in Pennsylvania. We mine metallurgical coal used for steelmaking in blast furnaces. Seam heights range between 36 and 54” so I have no trouble when the PH signals to stay down or crawl during a stalk, lol. In the thorns though, I find myself wishing I had my kneepads...
I worked in a coal plant in PA. I'm also from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg