What Is Your Dream Rifle?

Westley Richards .303 double rifle with a additional set of twenty gauge barrels.

I’m +1 with Skinnersblade.
(Great minds think alike).
The WR drop lock would be the best of the best for sure.
However, even their fixed lock / box lock in .303 / 20 gauge would be a dream come true for me.

Well Damn! You had to say rifle and hunting in the same question.

My dream gun....20mm Vulcan. With an over the top abundance of ammo for say, for a normal person, 2000 years, which sounds like a lot of ammo.

For me, However, if I am really conservative, that amount of ammo might last 5-10- maybe even 12 years; yeah right 10-12 years, BS!, Really that much ammo, maybe 2 years, based on the 20mm Vulcan rate of fire.

Reality check!

To answer your question it would be a double rifle in, 30-06, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby or 404 J caliber, with electors, fancy hand, scenic, engraving (based on caliber), with beautiful, exotic, hand rub and polished top grade wood, custom fit stock, if required mechanical recoil reducer in butt stock, 1.5 (1 1/2 pound trigger pull) on each, double trigger, polished stainless steel locks and side hammers, chrome lined medium rifled, ultra aligned, accurate (as in 1 inch at 100 yards, parallel holes) regulated, free floating barrels, 5-9 pounds based on caliber, with folding leaf iron sights and scope (based on caliber), with forward of trigger guard barrel release. With matching set of 28, and/or 12, or 10 gauge shotgun barrels.

Last edited:
Vintage British game rifle on a double square bridge Mauser action in .404 J.
Was lucky enough to get this dream rifle a few years ago, out of a safe where it was 'hidden' for 3 decades.
20200813_173822.jpg
Screenshot_20200915-090440_Photos.jpg

I’m +1 with Skinnersblade.
(Great minds think alike).
The WR drop lock would be the best of the best for sure.
However, even their fixed lock / box lock in .303 / 20 gauge would be a dream come true for me.

And fools seldom differ.... I’m quite sure that’s the other half the quote.:A Me You::A Gathering:

Hello bones,

GREAT Mauser with British touches! This action is one of the last sporting ones. May be made around the 40's. Who is the maker? Has some things of a Holland & Holland...

CF
The serial number looks to be late 30's. The rifle was rebuilt in South Africa early 80's, from an action 'harvested' in Zim if I have it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
What more could I ask for, I already think I am fulfilled.
I have :
My 500 NE Josef Winkler from Ferlach
My Winchester Super Express M70 in 458 WM
My Superb Henri Dumoulin Safari S in 375 HH
My Sauer Weatherby in 300 WBY
My Heckler & Koch HK 940 in 7x64
My Mauser 66S in 7x64
My Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge
My Beretta S685EL Magnum in 12 gauge
We can always do more, of course, but Madame must be understanding and Father Christmas generous.
If we were to insist a lot, I would add to my list:
A stutzen rifle that I find very aesthetic
A Darne V21 in 12 gauge or 16 gauge
And the end of the end a Vierling in 2 strokes of 16 gauge and two different rifled calibers, just to contemplate it, that would be the icing on the cake.
But hey, I'm happy like that.

I once saw a double that had 450/400 barrels 30-06 barrels and 20 gauge barrels so that would be it for me.

@Professor Mawla thanks for bringing this question /topic up, it's really interesting and fascinating to see what others dream rifles are.

for me the first rifle would be a nice English droplock double in .577 nitro, build by either Westley Richards or Purdey

the second rifle i would love is a well build, high quality, and reliable rifle build with the original M98 DMW Argentino action in 9.3x62 , i would have this rifle build in the renowned gunmaking village of ferlach in the Austrian alps.

my third rifle would be a beautiful single shot "kipplauf" rifle also build in the Austrian gun making capital, ferlach!
i don't know what it is but some thing about a beautifully build petite single shot rifle (kipplauf) i find very attractive and fascinating

Westley Richards drop lock in .470NE

I am currently having my other one built, it is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. It is going to sit in an English walnut stock, but that is over a year away from being finished. The good news, I am currently only running about 50% over budget on the build.

@Professor Mawla thanks for bringing this question /topic up, it's really interesting and fascinating to see what others dream rifles are.

for me the first rifle would be a nice English droplock double in .577 nitro, build by either Westley Richards or Purdey

the second rifle i would love is a well build, high quality, and reliable rifle build with the original M98 DMW Argentino action in 9.3x62 , i would have this rifle build in the renowned gunmaking village of ferlach in the Austrian alps.

my third rifle would be a beautiful single shot "kipplauf" rifle also build in the Austrian gun making capital, ferlach!
i don't know what it is but some thing about a beautifully build petite single shot rifle (kipplauf) i find very attractive and fascinating
@AnakKampuang
Those are some pretty solid choices . In the 1970s , Holland & Holland used salvaged DWM Argentine Mauser 1908 actions quite a lot in their magazine rifles .

No classes to take at the College , this week . So plenty of time to think about rifles and hunting . What is each of your dream rifles to own ?

For me , it has got to be a Krieghoff side by side double rifle in 9.3x74 mm R ( Rimmed ) calibre . Box-lock , double triggers , automatic ejectors , 25 inch barrels . As much as I adore my .458 Winchester Magnum , I have always dreamt of hunting a marauding Royal Bengal tiger with a 9.3x74 mm R .
I would have to pick- A Heckler und Koch Psg1 Rifle

I like an R8 in 375 ruger, 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC. I would sell everything else. Sigh but at my age probably stick with what I got. It's hard to sell my Ruger in 300 compact mag. Which has been to Africa, New Zealand and Greenland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois