What is the worst rifle you have ever owned?

savage 22/20 ga o/u. Break action and 22 first shot was always a crapshoot. It just could not be consistent. Never killed a squirrel with the first shot--always had to use the shotgun. Traded it off at the pawnshop...never feel guilty with those guys.

I didn't actually "own" it but the USMC said it was "my" rifle, so in a sense I owned it- An "Improved" M16. when I got overseas I was issued an M14 w/selector and it never missed a beat, even with the Starlight scope on it (though with the scope I always fired semi), then in their wisdom it got traded for a first model (3 prong break and standard bore). this worked fine and got me through the TET inconvenience. But then according to the bigshots, it had problems so it got taken and replaced with a enclosed break chrome lined bore- and that gun was a real POS. The main problem was a tight (due I think to the chrome) chamber. Cartridges would chamber fine but when fired wouldn't extract. a possible explanation was that carbon built up in the gas tube so the bolt didn't get a full push, but regardless shooting it amounted to firing, placing the butt on the ground and stomping the carrier handle, making sure that the muzzle wasn't pointed at my head as the bolt went forward. Fortunately I got assigned as A-gunner on an M60, so unless I was going as radio operator on the patrols, that POS was left back in camp. Was that ever a POS!!! I understand they have been improved over the last 50 years.

"Tet inconvenience"? Understanding I wasn't born until July of the same year, my understanding is that it was a bit more than an inconvenience. I am thankful you are here to tell this story and thankful to you and your family for the time you served.

Rem Model 700 Classic 375 H&H piece of crap.....

Luckily I've never had any issues or lemons so far

Had two Winchester defender shotguns. One wasn't too bad, the other one would lock right up if you fired a magnum round through it. The bolt had a plate on the bottom of it that had fingers that would hold the firing pin in place. Would have to take the gun apart to put everything back in place when it locked up.

Wasn't a real big deal until I had a bear ripping at the wall of my camp. I stuck the gun out the window and shot it with a 3" magnum round of 00 buck. It really made the bear mad, it was running around screaming beating on everything. Of course the pos winchester jammed again and I had to take the bloody thing apart on the table with the bear banging on everything. By the time I got it together the bear had ran off, thank God.

Next day traded both winchester's on a Benelli pump. Never had a problem with that gun. I don't keep shotguns around for bear deterrent either. Rifles have worked much better for me. I did try to shoot a bear that had been ripping my camp, who was in the back of my truck. Was using a marlin 45/70. I opened the camp door, lifted the rifle, bear jumped out of my truck, about ten feet from me. Lined up and heard the loudest CLICK in my life. Had time to eject the round and fire the next one. Afterwards I seen the primer had a dent, and it did fire next time I tried it. Lost faith in that rifle after that. Still have it though.

The worst rifle in my life which I have ever fired , was an Indian Ordinance Factories .315 calibre bolt action rifle ( built on a cheap Indian clone of the Lee Enfield receiver ) . Calling it a “ rifle “ , would be an insult to all rifles .

I also dislike the later Fabrique Nationale Browning push feed Mauser rifles ( also known as the “ Browning Safari “ ) which omitted the bolt guide . These things were prone to having the action to bind up , if the bolt was cycled too quickly .

To be truthful I’ve never met a rifle I didn’t like...

I have only met rifles I’ve loved less than others... :)

The worst firearm on earth is still better than no rifle :)

A Ruger with a sort of rubber stock.
I had enormous trouble trying to sight in.
Recoil was bad in the 270 because of that stock.

I bought a Thompson center venture in 223 and was absolutely worst gun I could imagine. I was looking for a less expensive rifle but this thing was complete junk. Trigger pull was inconsistent and it had a lot of travel, but the biggest problem was after shooting a box of shells and rifle getting warm, it would actually decock itself as you put the bolt down. I had to put safety on then close bolt then take it off safe to fire it. It was also temperamental about what brasses it would eject. Gun shop I bought it from actually quit selling them and wouldn’t accept it as a trade, they lost all future business from me over it. I can’t forget an advertisement by Jim shockey for the TC venture, he said in the ad the only issue is guides always want the rifle at end of hunt, only way a guide would want that rifle is if they needed an emergency paddle or walking stick.

I ended up driving up the road from other gun shop and bought the tikka t3x in 223 I should have bought in first place for $200 more and have never had an issue after over a thousand rounds through it.

Blaser R8, brought it home, and everyone told me how it was going to jam as soon as a fleck of dust go on it, and that every PH would shudder in disgust if it showed up in their camp.

So into the back of the safe it went

10 - 22

Garbage
Hah!:):) Holy cow, I forgot having one of those a long time ago! Forgettable I guess is the word that comes to mind now. It would hit a paper plate at 50 yards, some of the time. Ironically, those were and are one of the most popular 22s ever produced in the US. Even today there seems to be a wide division between the two camps of opinion about the 10-22- put diplomatically. I borrowed one to shoot a metal sillywet, field course competition one time. It shot OK with decent ammo. But nothing to write home about. The one I owned for a short time was not accurate at all no matter the type of ammo.

The rage (and joke) a few years ago was to buy a 10-22 for $250 then spend another $500 to $1000 on it so it would shoot with decent accuracy. A friend did one up that way then bragged that the only original Ruger parts on it were a couple of screws. I've owned a couple of Win 52s over the years and used one to shoot competition a really long time ago. I still have one, a 52B Sporter. The difference between an inherently accurate 22 like the Win 52 and the average 10-22 is eye opening for those who have never seriously compared. I know, I know the 10-22 was/is simply a mini rattle battle toy mostly for younger shooters- but good grief, they should at least shoot with some degree of consistency and accuracy for introducing young shooters to the shooting sports.

Hah!:):) Holy cow, I forgot having one of those a long time ago! Forgettable I guess is the word that comes to mind now. It would hit a paper plate at 50 yards, some of the time. Ironically, those were and are one of the most popular 22s ever produced in the US. Even today there seems to be a wide division between the two camps of opinion about the 10-22- put diplomatically. I borrowed one to shoot a metal sillywet, field course competition one time. It shot OK with decent ammo. But nothing to write home about. The one I owned for a short time was not accurate at all no matter the type of ammo.

The rage (and joke) a few years ago was to buy a 10-22 for $250 then spend another $500 to $1000 on it so it would shoot with decent accuracy. A friend did one up that way then bragged that the only original Ruger parts on it were a couple of screws. I've owned a couple of Win 52s over the years and used one to shoot competition a really long time ago. I still have one, a 52B Sporter. The difference between an inherently accurate 22 like the Win 52 and the average 10-22 is eye opening for those who have never seriously compared. I know, I know the 10-22 was/is simply a mini rattle battle toy mostly for younger shooters- but good grief, they should at least shoot with some degree of consistency and accuracy for introducing young shooters to the shooting sports.
10-22. “Spray and pray”! My 10-22 from the late 70s never had a “stoppage” once even without ever (or seldom) cleaning it. Buy a brick of .22s for $5 back in the day and shoot all day. When your a kid , son, daughter and now granddaughter, that’s all they want to do. It IS a “battle rattle” toy from the factory, but kids still love it! I know guys that have ARs and battle rattle those on cheap ammo all day! Not for me, but at least they’re gun OWNERS and when the anti gun wolves are at the door, we have a young generation of shooters willing to give them the big middle finger!

I had 2 rem 700 BDL's in 30-06. First one couldn't hit an A4 piece of paper and was replaced by Remington and the second one wasn't much better. I spent a lot of money trying to get it to shoot but it was chopped up and scrapped. Beautiful rifles just unbelievably inaccurate.
I also bought a Remington 3 1/2 pump and to say it was rough is an understatement, got rid of it within 2 months.
I was unlucky to have 2 brand new rifles that couldn't shoot but the shotgun really was as rough as guts. If I'd made it myself I wouldn't have shown it to anybody.

Didn’t really own it, Uncle Sam lent it to me for 3 years. M16 what a piece of chit. Magazines fell out on their own. Full auto function jammed every time it was used. Cheap made by Mattel piece of junk. Would have been funny if it didn’t keep getting people killed. Color selection sucked too. On the bright side when it did fire it was accurate out to about 400 meters.

Rem 700 in 30-06. Terrible trigger, terrible accuracy, barrel impossible to clean, hard to load, horrible bolt handle. I ended up replacing nearly every part of that rifle, following which it shoots really nicely. But not really cost effective. Should have bought something that worked properly in the first place, but left handers have limited choice.
@converse 320
Savage make very accurate left handers that usually shoot itty bitty groups straight out of the box in most calibers.
Bob

Don't even have to think about it. With out a doubt, a m70 from the late 70s chambered in 300 Weatherby. In all fairness, the rifle was exceptionally accurate, but the recoil was horrendous. After 10-15 rounds at the range my shoulder was actually black and blue. At the time i owned a Browning A-Bolt in 375H7H that i shot as a break from the m70. I presently have a couple heavy rifles, one is a 458 Lott and i smile every time i pull the trigger on it, thinking about that god-awful m70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg