What is the ultimate stopping rifle..?

Yes, if you could find a BAR in .300 or .338WM, all you would need is a .416 Taylor chambered barrel. All of the case dimensions are the same. Even a BAR in 7mmRM would work I would think. I love shooting my Interarms Whitworth Taylor and the cases are so easily formed from .458WM brass. I haven't tried using .300 or .338 brass yet.
You would have to trim the 300 brass as it is 2.62 long and the shoulder is farther forward. Better off with the 2.50 inch brass, less work.

You would have to trim the 300 brass as it is 2.62 long and the shoulder is farther forward. Better off with the 2.50 inch brass, less work.
You're right. You made me go down into my reloading "space" (mess!) in the basement and compare the cartridges. I guess one could trim the .300 case using a miter box with a hacksaw but the shoulder is still problematic. Probably the same with a 7mmRM case, but I couldn't find the coffee can I have with that 7mm brass. Thanks!

Seen it? - I was there, and yes - sagebrush was involved. Might not have been the exact moment as recorded, but I can tell you this was not a singular event.

I was with John Crocker's P-51 and witnessed Lefty's flying first hand. Lefty was reprimanded more than once for flying "too low" - the cockpit is not supposed to pass below the pylon marker.

On one occasion Lefty returned to the pits with a damaged left wing tip; when questioned by the Fed overseeing the races, Lefty replied - "Bird strike", the Fed"s response was, "Next time let him get out of the nest".

I have many fond memories of Lefty - he gave me my P-38 check out.
I have a Bonanza. You guys make me feel like a wimp :) I'd love to fly the Big Iron! If I hit the lottery (I hear your chances of winning are slightly better if you actually buy a ticket...) I'd want a Mustang and a Corsair. Then maybe look at a C-130 to travel in.... But a B-17 would be cool for that too.

Yeah it's hard to beat a slicked up and hopped up mustang. Wish I could have seen it in the 80's.
I saw Strega do 508mph in 2012. It was the fastest for a while. But Steven Hinton (Steve's boy) who flew Strega that year set the new record in Voodoo a couple years ago. Like 532mph or something. Both are modified P-51's. In fact, Steven beat Tiger Destefanie (who owns Strega) with Voodoo against Strega a couple years back. Right before Steven broke the record. My buddy loves radials (I do too) but I like V-12's better. Always have a good banter back and forth on it. Shockwave was supposed to be the ultimate prop plane....smaller than a Bearcat with a hopped up R-4360, but it never flew..not sure where it is today. Tsunami was a neat project too. 2/3 the size of a Mustang with the same drivetrain. But the flap system was messed up and he crashed it. I'd heard 2023 was it for Reno, as the town is encroaching the airport/race circuit and they ran them out. Not sure where they'll go. Talking about somewhere in the desert...

Reactions: CJW
I saw Strega do 508mph in 2012. It was the fastest for a while. But Steven Hinton (Steve's boy) who flew Strega that year set the new record in Voodoo a couple years ago. Like 532mph or something. Both are modified P-51's. In fact, Steven beat Tiger Destefanie (who owns Strega) with Voodoo against Strega a couple years back. Right before Steven broke the record. My buddy loves radials (I do too) but I like V-12's better. Always have a good banter back and forth on it. Shockwave was supposed to be the ultimate prop plane....smaller than a Bearcat with a hopped up R-4360, but it never flew..not sure where it is today. Tsunami was a neat project too. 2/3 the size of a Mustang with the same drivetrain. But the flap system was messed up and he crashed it. I'd heard 2023 was it for Reno, as the town is encroaching the airport/race circuit and they ran them out. Not sure where they'll go. Talking about somewhere in the desert...

They have five or six places scoped out to move the races to. What will become of it after the move is debatable. I went '16-'19 and they had their good and bad years. They've lost a lot of good planes in the last decade and a half for various reasons including Czech Mate last year to a fatal crash. That plane was on its way to a championship most likely.

2017 was the last time Strega flew and Jay Consalvi was at the controls. That Gold race was maybe the best motorsport race of all time. I'm glad I was there to see it.

Tsunami is being rebuilt in Minnesota but I'm guessing it will be at least another decade before it's finished. They invited me over to help work on it but it's a one day per weekend thing and maybe an evening a week or at least it was then.
When I talked to them they were going with an Allison because of fewer parts.

They have five or six places scoped out to move the races to. What will become of it after the move is debatable. I went '16-'19 and they had their good and bad years. They've lost a lot of good planes in the last decade and a half for various reasons including Czech Mate last year to a fatal crash. That plane was on its way to a championship most likely.

2017 was the last time Strega flew and Jay Consalvi was at the controls. That Gold race was maybe the best motorsport race of all time. I'm glad I was there to see it.

Tsunami is being rebuilt in Minnesota but I'm guessing it will be at least another decade before it's finished. They invited me over to help work on it but it's a one day per weekend thing and maybe an evening a week or at least it was then.
When I talked to them they were going with an Allison because of fewer parts.
I bought a shirt from the guys raising money for Tsunami. I remember seeing Czech Mate. Didn't know he crashed it. Thats bad. My buddy lived in Sparks was with the CAF out there and got us free tickets and pit passes for the whole week. They had just patched the hole where the Ghost hit the week before the races. Hole had been there for almost a year. My buddy was there when it crashed. He said it was heading right toward their CAF hangar and he ran out and jumped in a ditch. But it veered and went out the other way. Very tragic. I had a great time out there. We bbq'd every night in the CAF hangar and hosted CAF guys from all over the country.

Reactions: CJW
I was on Crocker's P-51 crew, as well as Camp's for his Yak - until I started flying a P-38 which had a schedule conflict. I brought Mike Bogue's B-23 up as a support aircraft for a few years - even took a couple laps around the course with it.

Those were fun times; sadly a lot of those folks are no longer with us.

Yes, if you could find a BAR in .300 or .338WM, all you would need is a .416 Taylor chambered barrel. All of the case dimensions are the same. Even a BAR in 7mmRM would work I would think. I love shooting my Interarms Whitworth Taylor and the cases are so easily formed from .458WM brass. I haven't tried using .300 or .338 brass yet.
There are BARs floating around in 9.3x62. Two of them showed up at a local store. The Sauer 303 is another. I don't know if anyone makes new ones...

1701727045649.jpeg

For folks who want all the bang speed, and a large mag capacity, top up potential, the Winchester 1895 conversion to 9.3 has some adherents. Maybe a Browning lever in box mag, and 30-06 would be another conversion option. These would be street legal most places, no worries about semi. 1895s have been converted to 35 Whelen (not enough), but also various 40 caliber options, since the 405 is so hard to come by.

There are BARs floating around in 9.3x62. Two of them showed up at a local store. The Sauer 303 is another. I don't know if anyone makes new ones...

View attachment 572766

For folks who want all the bang speed, and a large mag capacity, top up potential, the Winchester 1895 conversion to 9.3 has some adherents. Maybe a Browning lever in box mag, and 30-06 would be another conversion option. These would be street legal most places, no worries about semi. 1895s have been converted to 35 Whelen (not enough), but also various 40 caliber options, since the 405 is so hard to come by.
I need to get out more. I had no idea Sauer made a semi auto? I guess one could convert a Benelli R1 also?

View attachment 572766

In terms of fire rate, semi-autos are in their own class. However, reliability might be an issue for semi-autos in harsh conditions...

I'm sure many would, given circumstances. I want the 88

I love my 89 in 500NE. Shot 17 animals with it this season, started in September. After Xmas to Sweden and hunt wild boars with it.
Awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.