What is the ultimate stopping rifle..?

Double or bolt..? What calibre..? I am thinking game like elephant, rhino (perhaps not that relevant), hippo and cape buffalo..

I will argue this: - Either a double rifle in .600 or .577NE OR a Mauser actioned bolt rifle in .500 Jeffery..

What do you think..?

Hands down, ballistically, coupled with weight of rifle, and recovery time to get off a second shot, the .577NE is the stopping rifle king. Based on the aforementioned criteria, its superior to the 600NE and 700NE.

In a magazine rifle, its pretty hard to argue with the 500 Jeffery. Again, weight, recovery time for subsequent shots, feed reliability, bullet weight, its a professional's rifle. It's slower than the 577NE for a second shot, but it has a third and a few of them a fourth shot. Some professionals that cull elephants prefer more rounds over more stopping, selecting the 500J for that reason.

Neither of those guns is needed for me as a non-professional, but I respect them for what they are, and if I was browsing for a 470NE and I found one of the above for the right price, I would certainly consider owning a professional's tool if I could shoot it effectively.

For a client, it's pretty hard to top the 375HH, 404J, 450-400NE, 416Rigby, 458WM, and 470NE. All very controllable guns in the hands of a non-professional for the tasks they are designed. (killing game, not stopping charges)

It is gonna knock you out first shot and you wont feel the pain when you get killed by the elephant....

The ele won't get near you

You'll pull the trigger in the Limpopo and land somewhere on the Rhine

Sorry to further derail the thread but air shows are favorite event to attend. I caught this F4U warming up on a taxiway.
IMG_6261.png

Hands down, ballistically, coupled with weight of rifle, and recovery time to get off a second shot, the .577NE is the stopping rifle king. Based on the aforementioned criteria, its superior to the 600NE and 700NE.

In a magazine rifle, its pretty hard to argue with the 500 Jeffery. Again, weight, recovery time for subsequent shots, feed reliability, bullet weight, its a professional's rifle. It's slower than the 577NE for a second shot, but it has a third and a few of them a fourth shot. Some professionals that cull elephants prefer more rounds over more stopping, selecting the 500J for that reason.

Neither of those guns is needed for me as a non-professional, but I respect them for what they are, and if I was browsing for a 470NE and I found one of the above for the right price, I would certainly consider owning a professional's tool if I could shoot it effectively.

For a client, it's pretty hard to top the 375HH, 404J, 450-400NE, 416Rigby, 458WM, and 470NE. All very controllable guns in the hands of a non-professional for the tasks they are designed. (killing game, not stopping charges)
500 NE out penetrates 577 and 600 and in terms of weight and recoil recovery is superior in my opinion....

I have a .500 Jeffery based on a ZKK 602.. I must admit that the "run -over-by-a-freight train" feeling is greater than the 13,2lbs .600 double I shot...with modern Kynoch factory.. :W Shotgun:

Legendary Cartridges, prior to the internet. The writings, research, success & downfalls. Love to hear stories from experienced Hunters regarding the afore mentioned calibers. Precarious situations, tight corners, etc. 500 N.E, 500 Jeffery, 577.

The 500 Jeff is the King for the bolt actions.....I am currently working on 600gr bullets. Still finalising the design for the solid. The expanders are not an issue.....gonna make it the top stopping bolt action ever....

My 500 Jeff is also inline for a service/makeover.....gonna add Ghost ring change safety and the stock

Legendary Cartridges, prior to the internet. The writings, research, success & downfalls. Love to hear stories from experienced Hunters regarding the afore mentioned calibers. Precarious situations, tight corners, etc. 500 N.E, 500 Jeffery, 577.
You are as safe as a baby in a crib with the first two and the right bullets.....
The 3rd is just too heavy, excess recoil(reduced recovery time) and less penetration.....

I'm not sure I would refer to the 500 Jeff as the king of bolt guns as I prefer the 505 Gibbs in terms of ease of feeding and the ability to load up to as much as a shoulder can take. I would grant them both as tops of the bolt gun dangerous game rifle and allow the user to choose which one they prefer.

HH

505 lacks bullet selection. 500 Jeff can be loaded as hard as you can handle. Nothing wrong with the feeding on a 500 Jeff unless done by a backyard gunsmith....same can be said of any caliber built by in competent gunsmiths.
500 Jeff has a more efficient case design in terms of powder vs velocity.
500 Jeff recoils less for better performance.

Gibbs is good Jeff is better

No doubt you've seen it but here's one of Lefty turning the corners at Reno. Don't know if any sagebrush was involved on this particular day.

View attachment 570667
Seen it? - I was there, and yes - sagebrush was involved. Might not have been the exact moment as recorded, but I can tell you this was not a singular event.

I was with John Crocker's P-51 and witnessed Lefty's flying first hand. Lefty was reprimanded more than once for flying "too low" - the cockpit is not supposed to pass below the pylon marker.

On one occasion Lefty returned to the pits with a damaged left wing tip; when questioned by the Fed overseeing the races, Lefty replied - "Bird strike", the Fed"s response was, "Next time let him get out of the nest".

I have many fond memories of Lefty - he gave me my P-38 check out.

Gibbs is good Jeff is better
Well I disagree...
Bullet choice is really not part of the discussion as we will both be using 570 or 600 grain bullets.
Non rebated rim of the Gibbs is superior to the Jeff.
The Gibbs operates at much lower pressures than the Jeff.
Story after story of Jeff's not being able to feed correctly even after coming from a gunsmith.
My Gibbs is prettier than your Jeff so that's it I win! :cool:

HH

Seen it? - I was there, and yes - sagebrush was involved. Might not have been the exact moment as recorded, but I can tell you this was not a singular event.

I was with John Crocker's P-51 and witnessed Lefty's flying first hand. Lefty was reprimanded more than once for flying "too low" - the cockpit is not supposed to pass below the pylon marker.

On one occasion Lefty returned to the pits with a damaged left wing tip; when questioned by the Fed overseeing the races, Lefty replied - "Bird strike", the Fed"s response was, "Next time let him get out of the nest".

I have many fond memories of Lefty - he gave me my P-38 check out.

From what I've heard he indeed get a little low more than once. It's a shame that White Lightnin' isn't in the US or sporting that paint job anymore. Awesome that you're checked out in the 38.

The last races I was at, Pete Zaccagnino (sp?) was scooting an L39 around the last pylon fast and low during practice. Canopy below the barrel. I thought he was going to get in big trouble, but he just got a talking to from what I've heard. Not the wingspan of a 38 but chilling none the less. I wish I would have gotten video of it.

500 Jeff shoots a bigger diameter bullet....I win!!
You guys are fighting a losing battle. It’s a tie, they are both great or better than great.

500 Jeff shoots a bigger diameter bullet....I win!!
500 Jeff short and thick
505 Gibbs tall long and sexy :E Happy:

“…my dear Tony there is nothing quite like the the .505 Gibbs to stop dead a charging elephant in the jungle…”
-John Hunter to Tony Sanchez.
Enough said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leatha89G

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob