What is the draw of a Ruger#1?

Ever seen a Farquarson?

356f11a584539305e63803c2b489e6fc.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!

They are different they are beautiful, they are fun to hunt with. You can build almost any calibre on one including the NE cartridges.

As mentioned above with practice you can reload it faster than a bolt gun.

Not quite certain how many No. 1's I have acquired but I can honestly say I love them. I have hunted PG with a single shot and never felt at a disadvantage. Proper marksmanship fundamentals should be practiced with any rifle, yet I beieve the single shot may make you more cognizant of these fundamentals. With practice, you can get surprisingly fast and efficient reloads. Just as we practice working the bolt and feeding the magazine makes us better and more comfortable/confident in our rifles, so does repetitive working of the falling block type action. I personally will not set any land speed records feeding a No.1 but I know several guys that will give 90% of the bolt action guys I know a spanking on a three shot string. I've never picked up the skill that they have nor have I ever really decided that I needed said skill but watching these guys is pretty impressive none the least. I primarily hunt with a magazine rifle but when I'm needing a lighter more compact package I don't hesitate to grab a No.1 from a safe.
The first rifle I purchased for my youngest son was a No.1 in 375 H&H. I wasn't sure if he was left handed so the Ruger was a safe choice either way. Since I have found him left handed but right eye dominant and have taught him to shoot right handed. Looking forward to the day I am standing on African soil watching him with his No.1 take his first African game!
Cheers,
Cody

It's all beautifully stated in this thread. It's the consummate gentleman's gun. I would wager hard money that the operators lose far less game than a magazine or semi auto operator does on average. When you have one shot, it always seems to be an ethical and deadly shot that is taken.

Then on to the technology: the Falling block is the most durable action type. It is the shortest action at roughly 2.5" instead of an 8" bolt action. That means with the same barrel length the gun is 5.5" shorter...ultimate stalking rifle. Then there is the tang safety, the fastest safety to operate for moving game, hence its use on doubles. Then there is the lightweight design that is always a pound or so lighter than a bolt gun.

Then we go to nostalgia: it is a replica of the finest accurate stalking rifle ever made, the Gibbs Farquarson. They only made 300 in hunting configuration in history so you own a good copy for cheap.

Artistry: it can be upgraded and enhanced to be a $10,000 masterpiece and the design provides plenty of engraving space and a gorgeous quarter rib for many sight options.

Want to spend more? Dakota makes the model 10 which is a superior rifle out of the box for 5x the money and up. They are all luscious, sexy, gentleman's guns.

I've never met someone that shot one I did not like. It correlates to so many positive character traits in the owner as to be hard to enumerate in short order.

As @Bullthrower338 stated, single shot guns can be reloaded pretty darn quick. In addition to what has already been said about them, I think the reloading process is part of the allure.

I had one, but sold it. Which I really regret and have thought about buying one again. It is just has a classic look about it.

I know with practice you can really get fast as reloading it.

Ever seen a Farquarson?

356f11a584539305e63803c2b489e6fc.jpg

In my opinion, they are one of the most elegant firearms ever created for sporting. You have no backup shot. It has been imperically proven that men shoot better at game when armed with a single shot because the know they have no backup. Plus, you show up in camp with one of these and prove you know how to shoot it, the PH will be more than thrilled to take you on safari. The Ruger No.1 is almost verbatim the same rifle. Functionally almost identical. Takes a scope with much less workaround than a majority of doubles, no need to regulate it. Just sight it in and hunt. I keep looking at a No. 1 in .458 Win mag with the intention of converting it to .450 NE. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. A successful hunter with a single shot is, in my eyes at least, the apex of the human predator.

All that said, wading into a pride of lions with one may not be the brightest idea, but I am sure it's been done. However, with practice, I would say it can be as fast as a bolt gun.
here is what Dr. Kevin Roberston a.k.a. "Doctari" has to say on the matter:

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/single-shots-dangerous-game

Notice the man who ran the course the fastest was running not a bolt, not a double, but a Ruger No. 1

Sir the No1 was actually built in a 450/400and I think AH member @farrokhrt has one for sale. No conversion needed!

Sir the No1 was actually built in a 450/400and I think AH member @farrokhrt has one for sale. No conversion needed!

Boddington Series Model Called "The Buffalo" was so configured. You see them all the time for ~$1300.

Boddington Series Model Called "The Buffalo" was so configured. You see them all the time for ~$1300.
I think the boddington series is chambered for the 3-1/4" .450/400 shell. It's comparatively hard to come by. Most of the other Ruger no. 1s are chambered in the much more common 3" version. Best to be sure before you buy one.

I'm looking for the original .450 NE. They've never made one as far as I know. You'd have to buy a short .458 caliber, either a .45/70 or a .458 Win Mag and then chamber ream and throat it for Rigby's .450. A .450/400 would require a whole new barrel although all the action metal removal would already be done. The .458 would be preferable because it heavy "Tropical" barrel would dampen the recoil on an already light gun.

283 currently listed on GB in these calibers:
upload_2017-3-4_12-14-5.png

One of the more interesting auctions on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/625146341

Set of 5 Ruger 1 Rifles, African Adventure Series
This set of 5 Ruger 1 rifles are all serial number CBx-00146, with “x” varying from 1 to 5. They are numbered sequentially as a set and are intended to be kept together. This set is named: “Ruger No. 1, Craig Boddington, African Adventure Series.” This is most definitely a rare and desirable collector set with a value that can only grow as time goes by. All of the rifles in this auction are NIB and unfired in original factory box with all original factory paperwork. My research indicates there were only 250 of these sets sold by Ruger. Many of the sets have already been broken up, so the actual number of remaining intact sets is less than 250. How many sets remain in new, pristine, unfired condition, with original boxes and paperwork, is unknown, but surely lesser still. This set dates back to 2008. All are Ruger 1 rifles. The 5 guns are (CB1) “Lion” in .375 Ruger caliber, (CB2) “Buffalo” in 450/400 Nitro caliber , (CB3) “Kuda” in 300 H&H caliber, (CB4) “Leopard” in 7x57 caliber, and (CB5) “Elephant” in 450/400 3.75 Nitro caliber.

Screenshot (230).png

Last edited by a moderator:
They wouldn't remain in unfired condition long after I got my mitts on them!

One of the more interesting auctions on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/625146341

Set of 5 Ruger 1 Rifles, African Adventure Series
This set of 5 Ruger 1 rifles are all serial number CBx-00146, with “x” varying from 1 to 5. They are numbered sequentially as a set and are intended to be kept together. This set is named: “Ruger No. 1, Craig Boddington, African Adventure Series.” This is most definitely a rare and desirable collector set with a value that can only grow as time goes by. All of the rifles in this auction are NIB and unfired in original factory box with all original factory paperwork. My research indicates there were only 250 of these sets sold by Ruger. Many of the sets have already been broken up, so the actual number of remaining intact sets is less than 250. How many sets remain in new, pristine, unfired condition, with original boxes and paperwork, is unknown, but surely lesser still. This set dates back to 2008. All are Ruger 1 rifles. The 5 guns are (CB1) “Lion” in .375 Ruger caliber, (CB2) “Buffalo” in 450/400 Nitro caliber , (CB3) “Kuda” in 300 H&H caliber, (CB4) “Leopard” in 7x57 caliber, and (CB5) “Elephant” in 450/400 3.75 Nitro caliber.
If I wasn't set on taking a trip, I might jump on this. Damn shame...

I think the boddington series is chambered for the 3-1/4" .450/400 shell. It's comparatively hard to come by. Most of the other Ruger no. 1s are chambered in the much more common 3" version. Best to be sure before you buy one.

I'd never heard one was more famous. I just checked grafs and they had two of each type. Midway also has two of each type in stock.

Inherently accurate. A longer barrel than a bolt action if overall length is the same. Beautiful. My Ruger No 1 in 300 H&H has 8 animals on 3 continents so far. Plus I am left handed, and the No 1 is ambidextrous.

I'd never heard one was more famous. I just checked grafs and they had two of each type. Midway also has two of each type in stock.
You can find brass for the 3-1/4"shell, Hornady just started making it again although it is about 20% more $$. If you want loaded ammo though, it looks as though kynoch is the sole source and it is $17 a round...

I bought my first No. 1 a couple months ago in 450/400 NE 3". Looks good, shoots good, and makes me appreciate the mildness of my 375 H&H recoil.

I have three - 25-06, 7x57 (CB Leopard) & 375 H&H. They are simple, yet have elegant lines and appearance with the wood stock. A different look compared to a bolt action or auto. And a very reliable, strong action - not much to go wrong. Though short, they handle easily, feel very solid - easy to shoulder. Though I did not plan to buy another rifle for safari, bought the 375 for safari in Namibia. A classic hunt just seemed to demand a classic rifle. Maybe not the best reputation for accuracy, but I'm not a sniper or long range shooter - and one shot seems to do it with the ones I own. My favorite overall rifle model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!