What Have You Killed with the 7x57

Noted @Milan. I've been a bit skeptical of the Hornady SST bullet and Superformance powder, to provide a higher than typical muzzle velocity. Bullet blow-up at 7X57mm velocity is something I'd rather avoid. Plenty of other options available these days. I've been impressed with the performance of the 110 grain Nosler Accubond in Federal Premium ammo with muzzle velocity of 3100 fps, I expect 140 grain 7X57mm Nosler ammo to perform similarly.
I think the powder is fine. The bullet? Maybe not so much. I will be trying Nosler AB and ABLR soon I hope.

I think the powder is fine. The bullet? Maybe not so much. I will be trying Nosler AB and ABLR soon I hope.
Same here, what I'm pointing out is the questionable pairing of the SST projectile with a powder used for higher muzzle velocity than typically produced by factory loadings.

Mountain Lion in AZ 7x57R
P1151811.JPG

Same here, what I'm pointing out is the questionable pairing of the SST projectile with a powder used for higher muzzle velocity than typically produced by factory loadings.
Right. Still the bullet leaves muzzle at 2760 fps so say 2650 in 60 m? Still kind of slow/normal even for 7x57, no? Either way, have 156 gr Norma Oryx now and will be buying some Nosler AB bullets and work out a load. Hopefully it will shoot as this barrel seems finicky.

Right. Still the bullet leaves muzzle at 2760 fps so say 2650 in 60 m? Still kind of slow/normal even for 7x57, no? Either way, have 156 gr Norma Oryx now and will be buying some Nosler AB bullets and work out a load. Hopefully it will shoot as this barrel seems finicky.
Please post up how that works out. I have good confidence in the Norma Oryx bullet performance, and Norma's published muzzle velocity of 2640 fps beats any US factory 7X57mm ammo loaded with a similar weight projectile.

I have some Norma 7X57mm ammo loaded with 156 grain Oryx bonded bullets and some Lapua 7X57mm ammo loaded with 170 grain Mega bullets, but I'm planning to use those on game like feral hogs, or mixed feral hog + whitetail / Axis deer hunts, pending results with Norma 7X57mm ammo loaded with 140 grain Accubond bonded bullets on deer.

I have two boxes (100 bullets) Federal 155 grain 7mm Edge TLR bullets I plan to send to a custom reloader to be loaded for 40 cartridges 7X64mm ammo, 40 cartridges 7mm-08 ammo, and 20 cartridges 7X57mm ammo. I've read that bullet seating depth for the Nosler ABLR can be picky / tricky and published minimum expansion impact velocities are similar. Thus far, Federal only offers the 155 grain 7mm Edge TLR in 7mm Remington Magnum for factory ammo.

If you are going to shoot factory loaded ammo, you don’t have to look any further than the Norma Oryx 156 grain offering.

It’s bonded, not under loaded and provided it shoots accurately in your rifle, will do the job on all medium to large game species. I have used them extensively on a variety of game ranging from Impala, Hartebeest, Blue Willdebeest and Kudu.

They shoot very accurately out of my Ruger No 1 RSI and group under an inch if I let the barrel cool down sufficiently between shoots

I have had great results with Geco 165 gr, very accurate and great expansion. Of course I am shooting the rimmed cartridge so my options are limited. Pulled this out of the Lion above.

P1161872.JPG
P1161873.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I believe Oryx but I don't know how it will shoot yet. Same with the ABLR. But I will report once I load some and do some shooting with either. Hopefully later this year still.

Over the past thirty plus years all of my deer hunting has been with my Ruger No.1 in 7x57. I've gone through twenty rifles over that time period but always went back to my 7x57. Deer Elk Antilope, all have been taken with this rifle.

Hmmmm. Y'all got me thinking. I've booked my first PG hunt and I'm trying to decide which rifle(s) to take. It's been suggested I probably don't need to haul two rifles with me for a PG hunt. After reading this thread cover to cover I'm strongly considering taking only one rifle and it will probably be one of my 7x57's. Here are the choices:

Ruger #1 275Rigby
Ruger African 275Rigby
Ruger RSI 275Rigby
CZ550 7x57
Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight 7mm Mauser

All of them are good honest rifles that will get the job done. I haven't shot them a lot but they've all demonstrated at least hunting accuracy. I'll work up a medium (probably 140gr) and a heavy load (175gr) to take advantage of the capabilities of the caliber in a modern rifle.

None of these rifles are particularly valuable but all of them are a little tough to come by. Allegedly they only produced 250 each of the African and the RSI and only about 115 of the #1. The XTR in 7mm Mauser with a laminated stock was only manufactured for one year. The CZ550 in 7x57 isn't that common either. I'd hate to 'lose' any of them. Particularly the #1.

It's a tough call but I'm leaning towards the African 275 Rigby because of the word 'Rigby' and the classic configuration of the Hawkeye African. What say you? Which one gets the nod? I know. Cadillac problem.

I'd take the CZ 550, Win 70 FW or the African. Most ammo is labeled 7x57 so make sure your rifle has that stamped on it as caliber also. Post pics of rifles.. ;)

No bad choices in my favorite chambering. Have someone blindfold you and spin you around 3 times then set the rifles before you. The first one you pick gets to go. As Milan pointed out, be sure the markings are the same as ammo headstamp. Good hunting to you!

Milan makes a good point. Don’t take a rifle stamped .275 Rigby with ammo stamped 7x57. It is unlikely that you will convince the officer that the two calibers are the same.

Learning has occurred. I wasn't aware the head stamp had to match the rifle. I think you guys just saved me a big headache. Thank you.

Reactions: WAB
Since my career as a professional Shikari was in an era when there were no laws regarding minimum calibre usage , l had many clients do remarkable things using small calibres ( of course , many of these choices also ended up getting us into some very uncomfortable spots , at times ) .
With regard to the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge , my clients successfully used them to secure all of India's " dangerous six " : Royal Bengal tiger , leopard , Gaur , Darjeeling bush boars , Asian sloth bears and crocodiles .
Among the mundane animals , my clients used the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge to lay low : Sambhar deer , Chital deer , hog deer , barking deer , four horned antelope and Nilgai.

Since my career as a professional Shikari was in an era when there were no laws regarding minimum calibre usage , l had many clients do remarkable things using small calibres ( of course , many of these choices also ended up getting us into some very uncomfortable spots , at times ) .
With regard to the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge , my clients successfully used them to secure all of India's " dangerous six " : Royal Bengal tiger , leopard , Gaur , Darjeeling bush boars , Asian sloth bears and crocodiles .
Among the mundane animals , my clients used the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge to lay low : Sambhar deer , Chital deer , hog deer , barking deer , four horned antelope and Nilgai.

During the british raj, this calibre would have been known as the 275 Rigby if this rings a bell? The late great Jim Corbett used it on some tigers and leopards as well as deer.

During the british raj, this calibre would have been known as the 275 Rigby if this rings a bell? The late great Jim Corbett used it on some tigers and leopards as well as deer.
JPbowhunter
I read of this designation in " The man - eaters of Kumaon " by Jim Corbett. However , during my time , it was always referred to, as the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge.

I have had great results with Geco 165 gr, very accurate and great expansion. Of course I am shooting the rimmed cartridge so my options are limited. Pulled this out of the Lion above.

View attachment 315811 View attachment 315812

Unfortunately Geco brand ammo isn't easy to find in the USA. Site sponsor Safariammo.net carries Geco in 7X57R, 7X64, & 7X65R - but not 7X57.

Learning has occurred. I wasn't aware the head stamp had to match the rifle. I think you guys just saved me a big headache. Thank you.

Hornady manufactures brass headstamped .275 Rigby FWIW. Midway is one of the retailers carrying this brass, among others.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021378632

Hendershot's offers a selection of .275 Rigby loaded ammunition using that brass.

https://hendershots.net/product/275-rigby-extreme-custom-ammo/

Attachments

• Screenshot (157).png
    Screenshot (157).png
    169.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot (158).png
    Screenshot (158).png
    164.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot (159).png
    Screenshot (159).png
    918.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot (160).png
    Screenshot (160).png
    875.9 KB · Views: 123

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg