What have you been doing since you can’t go on Safari?

Buff hunt with my son in Mozambique was postponed.

Decided to get in good enough shape to do some climbing.

Haven't cut my hair or shaved since the virus started. I am auditioning for a ZZ Top cover-band. If that doesn't work out, perhaps I can finagle something as a mall Santa.:p
IMG_9168.JPG

Haven't cut my hair or shaved since the virus started. I am auditioning for a ZZ Top cover-band. If that doesn't work out, perhaps I can finagle something as a mall Santa.:pView attachment 361079

Haven't cut my hair or shaved since the virus started. I am auditioning for a ZZ Top cover-band. If that doesn't work out, perhaps I can finagle something as a mall Santa.:pView attachment 361079
Beautiful background.

We had about 45# of fillets after 4 days of fishing.
All of the Lake Trout got brined (2 parts brown sugar & 1 part salt) and smoked.
We smoke it skin side down and the skin peels right off after smoking it.
Allow to cool for about half an hour and break it into meal size portions.
Vacuum seal, label it and freeze, although we did give some away.
We really like the tail pieces because there are less bones and it's a little smokier.
The Brown Trout got put in the freezer (uncooked) to be cooked on the grill this summer.
View attachment 360858

delicious indeed! There is a lot of outdoor joy on those pans!

Thanks Wheels. They are, its like seeing a leopard around the house, but the real pleasure is the mannerisms, quite wild occasionally. And be prepared to shed a bit of blood if you get him in a mood, not malicious, but they are strong and boisterous.

Lots and lots of practice off the sticks is what I've been doing - pretty much all year. Enough that I needed to slow the accumulated round count on several rifles, including a 9.3x62 and 30-06.

Looking around I noticed I haven't shot the iron sight C&R types for a number of years. Working through my stock of 6.5x55 reloads in a 1941 Swedish Mauser (Husqvarna M38) has made for some fun and productive practice. I plan on doing more of this over the fall and winter.

And the 71 year old eyes and the old rifle still shoot decent groups on our steel at 225 Yards - 100% from the sticks.

1941 Swedish Mauser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Collecting fine French wines ('put some in the G.I.T. each eve, to make way for the next batch,) cooking, reading, reloading, fixing others' gun issues, growing and taking inventory of big deer (and bear) and now, hunting them! Also working hard towards early retirement; 'stupidly took on two new projects thinking I'd lose some as a result of Chinavirus (and did not,) effectively keeping me working until 2024ish. Last year 'went on 2 trips, so this was a "bye year" anyway...That and getting tanning/taxidermy done, as touched upon above.

In other words the same things we typically do for the other 50 weeks of the year...'Gave up on purchasing wildlife art long ago in favor of having the real mccoy adorn the walls...put the rest to work making interest, purchasing hunting properties and helping my son finish dental school...

IMG_20200920_131034834.jpg
IMG_20200824_133007480~2.jpg
93761.jpeg
93758.jpeg
93757.jpeg
88511~2.jpeg
IMG_20200920_132311208~2.jpg
IMG_20191112_200048065~2.jpg
IMG_20181215_201557759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a new roof and gutter on my house using my vacation time.

Let’s just say it’s been a bad year to be a feral hog in my neck of the woods.

Last week spent chasing grouse and woodcock in northern Wisconsin with a group of friends (20+ years), drank maybe too much bourbon, great time was had. North Dakota is later this week for waterfowl, sharptails and ringnecks.

20201007_170615.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg