Novel approach... I agree with #5... I'm 6'3" and weighed 240lbs, pre-Covid-19... .577 Nitro Express would be my choice if I could afford one, and was a PH over there...If the PH in your story:
1) Is the first in his family to hunt, he'll shoot a worn out BRNO 458 that he got second-hand from the game department;
2) Is of a line of PHs, he'll shoot a Rigby 416 for a bolt, or an Evans 470 for a double - these only when acting as a PH - otherwise he will shoot everything with a Rigby 350 or 9,3x62 - depending if he is from British or German lineage.
3) Is a man of taste and simplicity, a Rigby 416;
4) Does more elephant hunting than anything and finds himself all-too-often cleaning up his client's mess, a 458 Win Mag - one he had made by a lower-cost (read non-British) firm, but is otherwise 100% reliable;
5) Is over 6' and 220 lbs., he'll shoot a 577 Nitro;
6) Is a double rifle devotee and has a soft spot for the black powder guns his father used, a Rigby 450 Nitro (because it spanned black to smokeless powder);
7) Is an American who lived his dream of becoming a PH - a 375 H&H or 458 Win - either in a Model 70 - with a nod to the 375.
That should help ;-)
Most Japanese girls in their 20’s weigh about the same as a double gun and a moderately packed day bag! Maybe a 450 Casull pistol would suit her better!
Yes, by and large you are correct. So in Zimbabwe, 458 Lott in a CZ 550 or Winchester M 70 or Mauser/Whitworth etc are probably the most common. Then doubles in 470 NE or 500 NE. Then a sprinkling of 416 Rigby/Rem, 460 Weatherby and 458 Win Mag.In my experience they all carry what they can get their hands on.
Same as Alaska, the Yukon and NWT.
I have friend that guide up North and I know plenty of PH's in Africa. The variety of rifle I have seen is astounding.
Browing A-Bolt, M70, M77, M700, Weatherby, Blaser R8 (Mutts Decker, her dad carried 700's), Musgrave Mauser 98, Howa 375, availability is the biggest factor.
Every caliber imaginable, exotic stuff like 577 NE, 9.3x64, 465 NE, and common things like 375, 458, 416 and so on.
1. What can they get?
2. What can they afford?
3. What can they get ammo for?
As active PH, I have used .458 bolt action for a couple of years and was very happy with it. Later on a .470 double for several years and for the last 15 years a .500 double... from 10 meters to 0 ... the best...I was wondering if there's a specific rifle type or caliber that the average African PH prefers to have by their side in an area with free roaming, healthy populations of dangerous game. I've seen bolt rifles a lot but some swear by doubles for their 1-2 punch so idk.
I'd especially love to get input from any real PH's on this site.