What do you think of Tiger and Jaguar being hunted in South Africa?

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Attached is a website screen shot which was taken today of the hunting gallery page of a company called Gotsoma Safaris based in South Africa, the link to their website homepage is www.gotsoma.co.za and the direct link to their gallery where the screen shot was taken from is Gotsoma Safaris Gallery. The screen shot shows a photograph of a bow hunter with a Tiger and a rifle hunter with a Jaguar

What do you think of Tiger and Jaguar being hunted in South Africa?

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 2.27.39 PM.jpg

Last edited:
for me personally I believe an animal should be hunted wild and in it's native habitat.it takes something away from the animal and the hunting experience when you bring the animal to you rather than you go to them.it would be much cheaper for me to go"hunt" some of the african plains game on some ranch in texas but it just would not be the same

for me personally I believe an animal should be hunted wild and in it's native habitat.it takes something away from the animal and the hunting experience when you bring the animal to you rather than you go to them.it would be much cheaper for me to go"hunt" some of the african plains game on some ranch in texas but it just would not be the same

Agree totally!

Trap123, totally agree with,,,,but,,,, if you hunt them in Texas, you get to bring the meat home with you. That would be the up-side of hunting plains game in Texas. Yes, I have considered it, (and it's not off the table, yet) just to have a freezer full of Blue Wildebeest meat, or some Kudu jerky "home made",,,MMMMmmmmmmm...

I don't think I would care for it just because you know a hunt like that is most likely in a small pin to much of a canned hunt. But to hunt the animals in South Africa I don't see where it would be a hole lot different then all the other introduced exotic game brought in to South Africa on Game farms. But in the same note Does anyone know where you can hunt these two animals legally in there native habitat? and I'm not sure but I don't think it would do any American any good anyhow I don't think they can be imported in to the US.

Trap123, totally agree with,,,,but,,,, if you hunt them in Texas, you get to bring the meat home with you. That would be the up-side of hunting plains game in Texas. Yes, I have considered it, (and it's not off the table, yet) just to have a freezer full of Blue Wildebeest meat, or some Kudu jerky "home made",,,MMMMmmmmmmm...
Now the meat thing, well.....you have a point there!:cool:

I am 100% for it.

My personal rule for hunting is not whether it is high fence or not, but whether the animal knows it is fenced. Some properties are so big you could walk for days and not see a fence, but some are 3,000 acres. If the animal can't get away, it's not a hunt. I don't mean to tell other people what to do, it's just my standard.

There are several things that go into this. To me it goes hand in hand with bait hunting bear for example. I want to hunt a black bear. I will not do it over a bait pile. It just does not seem like a hunt to me. I want the challange of the hunt. I however do not stop or complain about people who hunt over bait. I will not knock any sportsman who chooses to hunt. It is a form of hunting. It may not be the form of hunting I choose to do, but it is a form of hunting. I am 100% for hunting! Just as I will not talk bad about people who choose to use a compound bow instead of a cross bow. Or a rifle instead of a bow. Or a inline muzzle loader instead of a flint lock. We are all hunters and we should all stick together. So the same thing applies to high fence and exotics. It concerned me about going to Africa. The fence bothered me. After going, my mind has changed. The properties are very large. So all in all, if it floats your boat....set sail and enjoy!

There are several things that go into this. To me it goes hand in hand with bait hunting bear for example. I want to hunt a black bear. I will not do it over a bait pile. It just does not seem like a hunt to me. I want the challange of the hunt. I however do not stop or complain about people who hunt over bait. I will not knock any sportsman who chooses to hunt. It is a form of hunting. It may not be the form of hunting I choose to do, but it is a form of hunting. I am 100% for hunting! Just as I will not talk bad about people who choose to use a compound bow instead of a cross bow. Or a rifle instead of a bow. Or a inline muzzle loader instead of a flint lock. We are all hunters and we should all stick together. So the same thing applies to high fence and exotics. It concerned me about going to Africa. The fence bothered me. After going, my mind has changed. The properties are very large. So all in all, if it floats your boat....set sail and enjoy!

Where do you stand on long bow RickB???

Just pulling your chain, or am I?

I agree with you and have said it many times on the forum, that our fellow hunters can sometimes be the quickest to judge i.e. Trump boys hunting.

:focus: As far as the Kittens go, I guess it would depends on where I am in life and what I wanted to do. If I were hunting Cape buffalo and harvested on the first day, had 7 more days till the end of safari, PH says lets kill a Tiger, sorry I wouldn't have to think to hard about it.

Show up for the DSC convention (or SCI if I'm there) and I promise you have a drink coming from me, well said! Personally I don't think I'd hunt the tiger or jaguar with these folks, but if it's legal in RSA, I won't take issue with those that would.

I just wish there was a wild population of tigers robust and plentiful enough for hunting. It doesn't seem like they have a lot going for them vs poaching and habitat loss right now.

I agree 100 percent with you.I do not judge anybody that takes part in any legal hunt.it's just not my cup of tea.however a freezer full of tasty steaks is very appealing.

I believe if I were ever to consider hunting one of those cats it would have to be in a jungle anything else would be kind of like hunting a lion in a cornfield it just doesn't seem to fit.however for those that would choose to do it go for it and have a ball.

RickB I agree with you too. I hunted black bear in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana the hard way..on foot. I didn't get one but the experience was AWESOME!!. Especially when a ranger we knew came back with a bloody radio collar from a Grizzly. Two guys where hunting Elk in same area we were in and ran across GRizz. The bear charged and outfitter had to shoot it point blank with a handgun. I was trying to find the bears in open feeding areas. It was a blast. We went in on horseback.

RickB I agree with you too. I hunted black bear in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana the hard way..on foot. I didn't get one but the experience was AWESOME!!. Especially when a ranger we knew came back with a bloody radio collar from a Grizzly. Two guys where hunting Elk in same area we were in and ran across GRizz. The bear charged and outfitter had to shoot it point blank with a handgun. I was trying to find the bears in open feeding areas. It was a blast. We went in on horseback.
Back in 1974 I spent a week in the BM Wilderness as part of a packer/guide school out of Victor MT. Its an awesome place for sure.

I don't see this any different than hunting Lion in SA, other than it not being their native habitat. If it adds value to the preservation of these cats that are doing poorly in their native habitat (eating the locals tends to have that effect) then why not.

maybe those cats swam over to get there, roamed around, then found a way to climb over the electrified fence surrounding those 30 acres they were hunted on?

I don't see this any different than hunting Lion in SA, other than it not being their native habitat. If it adds value to the preservation of these cats that are doing poorly in their native habitat (eating the locals tends to have that effect) then why not.

I believe that each one of us has to decide what constitutes hunting for ourselves.and whatever each individual decides I would pass no judgement however for me it seems to hunt an animal that is out of his element takes a lot away from experiencing the true spirit so to speak of that animal
from a conservation point of view I have two questions that I don't know the answer to I am wondering if there is anyone that can shed some light on these questions

1 do these cats have the ability to adapt breed and thrive in the habitat into which they are being released.

2. are any of the funds generated by the hunting of these cats earmarked for the preservation of their natural habitat and the protection of the species.

as I have said before as long as it is legal to hunt them where they are being hunted I have no problem with that what it is just not a hunt that would appeal to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg