What do I use to thwart Tsetse flies?

Glad to hear they aren't in the eastern cape. Liking my decision to go there more and more every day!

Interesting as this is Avon sold their formula to OFF!.... I wonder if a Thermal Cell would work to keep the flies at bay . I know I won't go into the turkey woods the end of May without one .
Glen

The absolute best protection from the Tsetse fly is someone else who they really like more than you.
Kurt did a fine job for me.

Never be in the rear of the Bakkie. Always have someone else further back than you. They are the bait!

Black flies/Deer flies hold nothing to Tsetse flies. At least you can swat a bloody Black fly.

Still......perhaps a better alternative to walking about smelling like burning ele shit

phil i promise you you wouldnt give a shit ;) whether you smelled of it or not when they get bad as opposed to just the normal rate of attack.......on my first hunt in the selous we used to have to drive through one area sometimes and nicknamed it tsetse alley, as apart from another area in the grumeti in tanzania its the worst for tsetse i have come across...mind you some of the kafue and luangwa areas can get interesting!. you couldnt drive very fast here and one time we actually bailed out and ran away from the cruiser and left it to the tsestses ,as there were so many swarming in..........we let them lose interest in the "big animal" with no blood and alistair found a piece of dried ele shit and got it smouldering and put it in the cab , and as the doors were removed the smoke wasnt too bad honest :E Cry:....but way better than being swarmed. this was only used as a last resort in the cab.........as yup we couldnt decided in the end which was worse the swarm or the smell of the smoke :E Big Grin: so as i said before if you want to hunt these big game areas something you just have to put up with, and a lot arent that bad with the flies.....

That has got to be one of the best stories on AH :A Gathering:

Avoid dark color clothes, tsetse are more attracted to dark colors. Deet 90% is the only spray that works against them. Burning elephant dung does help.

We have tried just about every lotion you can think of, only deet worked.

Apparently these flys are responsible for a huge swath of very fertile land being left undeveloped (called a green desert). They kill cattle with the disease they transmit so you cannot farm well in those areas. I guess the disease does not affect the wild animals? That would explain why these areas are great hunting grounds. Fascinating world we live in!

Apparently these flys are responsible for a huge swath of very fertile land being left undeveloped (called a green desert). They kill cattle with the disease they transmit so you cannot farm well in those areas. I guess the disease does not affect the wild animals? That would explain why these areas are great hunting grounds. Fascinating world we live in!

Exactly.

phil i promise you you wouldnt give a shit ;) whether you smelled of it or not when they get bad as opposed to just the normal rate of attack.......on my first hunt in the selous we used to have to drive through one area sometimes and nicknamed it tsetse alley, as apart from another area in the grumeti in tanzania its the worst for tsetse i have come across...mind you some of the kafue and luangwa areas can get interesting!. you couldnt drive very fast here and one time we actually bailed out and ran away from the cruiser and left it to the tsestses ,as there were so many swarming in..........we let them lose interest in the "big animal" with no blood and alistair found a piece of dried ele shit and got it smouldering and put it in the cab , and as the doors were removed the smoke wasnt too bad honest :E Cry:....but way better than being swarmed. this was only used as a last resort in the cab.........as yup we couldnt decided in the end which was worse the swarm or the smell of the smoke :E Big Grin: so as i said before if you want to hunt these big game areas something you just have to put up with, and a lot arent that bad with the flies.....

When hunting with Simon last year the Tsetse flies were not bad at all really. It was very dry. When you crossed any wet creek they came out in droves. It was no where near as bad as what you are describing Mike, but damn I could see it. If they show up in numbers I can imagine holding that chunk of dung in your lap quite happily.

@BRICKBURN , another area they also seem to like is burnt areas, but definitely more concentrated where there's water.

What would the situation be like up in the Victoria Falls area of Zimbabwe in July?

Attachments

• SouthA_morsV.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
Long pants. Long sleeve shirts. Gloves. Head net. 55 gallon drum of deet.

My packing list is complete.

What would the situation be like up in the Victoria Falls area of Zimbabwe in July?

now dont let this thread stress you....if you hadnt read it would you be even thinking about them? they are there or not there in hunting areas in different countries.... just go enjoy yourself :D Beers:

Long pants. Long sleeve shirts. Gloves. Head net. 55 gallon drum of deet.

My packing list is complete.

no point think about it they can penetrate animal hide and suck blood through it........how thick are your clothes? .....;) :E Big Grin:

no point think about it they can penetrate animal hide and suck blood through it........how thick are your clothes? .....;) :E Big Grin:
Add body armor to my list:ROFLMAO:

Maybe I can make a fortune inventing Testse proof Safari clothing

@CAustin , other good advice if you battling with the tsetse is to wear 2 pairs of jocks, it's no joke if they get you on the nuts, feels like you have been hit by a baseball bat. PS..If they do manage to get you on the nuts, you need to take both pairs off otherwise you have a problem with the swelling.

.If they do manage to get you on the nuts, you need to take both pairs off otherwise you have a problem with the swelling.

I hear the loss of both nuts is still fairly rare though. Is that true?

@royal, that depends if it's a male or female tsetse. Generally only happens if it's a hybrid tsetse, male and female organs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross