What camo pattern

Most of the bushes and small trees have green foliage and you are walking in grass that is in varying stages. So basic earth tones is plenty. A good ph is going to try and keep you in the shade anyway. Long pants will help with stickers and thorns and ticks. The Limpopo is easy on footwear, lightweight hiking type shoes are fine. But bring some comfortably “camp” shoes for and of the day around the fire. Rain is not likely which is why cotton is so popular there. Your laundry will be done daily by the nice lady in camp so don’t worry about detergents, tick repellent might save your life tho. Non scented soap and shampoo are good ideas while in camp. You won’t be the first guy to wear blue jeans and survive or head to toe khaki but these days we have better options. Avoid cloth that makes a scraping sound in thorns and brush. Don’t wear shorts if you have white legs!
I like lightweight wool socks and I hope you paid attention to that part about the sun. Limpopo in May isn’t Tanzania but it is still sunburn weather. Your ph will have lots of suggestions so pay close attention to those pre trip suggestions

On a serious note, I learned at a young age during gun deer season in the midwest that staying still and quiet is the most important thing. If Carharts and a solid orange vest and face mask can fool heavily pressured mid west whitetails and coyotes, they can fool anything anywhere.

Like one particular whitetail buck taught me, when caught in the open, think "I'm a tree".

If buying new clothes I would wear and wash them a number of times before your trip to cut any possible shine.

I agree with Oneday on his post.

Breakup the human silhouette especially the head.

Here are pictures of me in a ASAT leafy suit. bow hunting on the ground. I wanted to skyline myself to see what an ungulate would see.

The top picture I am skylined but my outline is broken up with ASAT and the leafy suit.

With a rifle at 60 yards you can just stand still
IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg
IMG_5299.jpeg
IMG_5300.jpeg

My thoughts:

(1) The best camouflage pattern that I have found for creeping around mopani bush is Polish Woodland camouflage.

(2) The best shirt that I have come across is a British Army replica Aertex shirt.

(3) Rigby make some good cotton piqué t-shirts in green and brown, but they are expensive for what they are.

(4) Westley Richards makes a good (but expensive) shirt with bullet loops. It is vulnerable to being torn by thorns. This shop occasionally offers discounts.

Otherwise: my own preference is for cotton and non-synthetic material, on the basis that I tend to sweat into synthetic material. I can see the advantage of rip-stop, but have not come across shirts which incorporate it. Richard Harland's idea, which seems sensible enough, is to wear brown on your legs and green on your torso. Perhaps more important than colour is tone, which should be dark. If you deck yourself out in 'Realtree' camouflage you will, paradoxically, stand out like a sore thumb. There is nothing wrong with solid, or block, colours.

Traveling Limpopo the last week of May. What camouflage patterns would be acceptable or should I stick with solid green/khaki? The camo I currently own is pictured with letters and numbers.
TIA
View attachment 595456
Btheis13: There are few things in Hunting that are “Less important” then what type of Camo to wear and especially when hunting with a Rifle — for animals that are color blind !. Whatever you have will be fine and dark Khaki or olive even better (I just like classic earth tones — No other reason). My opinion on clothes - Comfortable Footwear is the MOST Important, followed by comfortable clothes that are: durable & quiet, weather appropriate (not too hot - wear layers, drys quick, and is “quiet”) and something water proof but breathable and QUIET. But, considering all the $$ spent on any African Safari - buy what you like, use it as an excuse to get Top quality and wear it when you get back home too

Last edited:
If you want to blend in with the acacia bushes, there's a store in the O.R. Tambo airport that sells all sorts of outer wear with that pattern. The brand is Sniper Africa. A few years ago on the return, I bought one of their heavy hunting jackets. Been using it for deer hunting and it's warm and held up well.

Traveling Limpopo the last week of May. What camouflage patterns would be acceptable or should I stick with solid green/khaki? The camo I currently own is pictured with letters and numbers.
TIA
View attachment 595456
1 then 5 then B. Darker colours are better. Yes you can get by with khaki but I prefer darker colours especially in SA bushveld. I wouldn't go and buy a whole bunch of camp but you have it so use it.

If you want to blend in with the acacia bushes, there's a store in the O.R. Tambo airport that sells all sorts of outer wear with that pattern. The brand is Sniper Africa. A few years ago on the return, I bought one of their heavy hunting jackets. Been using it for deer hunting and it's warm and held up well.
Be aware that Sniper Africa is on US sanctions list. In an email a few years ago I mentioned to my PH that I'd just watched a Youtube video of the company CEO on a hunt that was badly botched. He responded it was fairly well known in RSA that Sniper Africa had links to jhihadist terrorist organizations. This is only hearsay so take it for what it's worth. But here's the link verifying sanctions.

Something just speaks out that he may be gun shy.
He was not gun shy. He worked as hand on the property, and they all wore the same jump suite. But they animals seem to have not fear of his colorful attire.

Olive green or brown.....

I wore dark green clothing from TAG Safari. I don't think it mattered to the animals. I looked like a park ranger, but it helped me to "get in character" for the hunt. My dad mostly wore his Sitka gear. Again, I don't think it made a difference in the hunting. I agree with the poster who recommended a wide-brim hat. I found mine useful for keeping the sun off, and for covering my face for a little lunchtime nap.

i like a brimmed hat. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and off my face and neck as i have skin prone to skin cancer. I feel i can see and hear better from under a brim, probably wishful thinking. Most importantly in severe tsetse fly county the brim keeps my head net away from skin. Lot of good hunting in fly country.

He was not gun shy. He worked as hand on the property, and they all wore the same jump suite. But they animals seem to have not fear of his colorful attire.
Just trying to keep it light. aka (sarcastically) humorous. My intent was never to be derogatory. Therefore I do sincerely apologize should my sarcastic attempt at humor of this, in my mental imagitive, is any way taken as being offensive.

i like a brimmed hat. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and off my face and neck as i have skin prone to skin cancer. I feel i can see and hear better from under a brim, probably wishful thinking. Most importantly in severe tsetse fly county the brim keeps my head net away from skin. Lot of good hunting in fly country.
I have yet to hunt in tsetse fly country but I have fished in Alaska during mosquito season. There is one variety up there big enough to rape a turkey flat-footed. Curiously, those big ones are called snow mosquitoes because they're the first ones out every year ... they can actually overwinter underneath ground debris down to forty below. Anyway, bug nets can make a huge difference between merely having a bad time ... or going totally nuts with aggravation.

Yeah but it’s easy to get ready for tsetse flys. Just have a friend follow you around one day and burn you with a cigarette every few minutes. About the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.