What calibers would be needed for a proper dangerous game cartridge display?

After many months of construction on the farmhouse, I'm finally back at a few of my projects. Like this DG cartridge display. While the construction nearly cost my sanity and well-being, punching the numbers said it was cheaper and easier to keep the wife happy than to put off the work any longer.

I looked around high and low for a nice wood, but didn’t find anything that I really loved. Fancy woods can be purchased, but they have no story. During the remodel, I cut a door into the oldest section of the farmhouse. I thought the 112 year old wood would work for the shelves, so some of it was salvaged. The lumber for the old house was cut not far from here. They placed axels under the logs, and drug them here by mule team to a local sawmill on the river. Then the milled lumber was taken from the mill, by wagon, to the site of the farmhouse. The least I could do was reclaim some of it.

On to the fun part... I finally was able to acquire some elephant leather! I met a man through work and was able to tour his trophy room. Neadless to say, the Africa section was my favorite. He had finished his Big 5 with a bow (bow dart for rhino). I very much enjoyed the tour. I had mentioned I was looking for leather for this project and he turned around to dig on a shelf for a moment. He opened a box saying after everything he did with his two elephants (very nice tuskers), these pieces were all that was left. And that I should have it. I only asked if he was sure about giving me them once... Because I didn’t want to give him another opportunities to change his mind.

So that’s the update. The project moves onward! Thanks to all that have helped thus far. We are one humble step closer to having a proper Dangerous Game cartridge display hung up. Next is to get out the belt sander and chop saw to work on the wood. And stretch the leather over what will be the backdrop.

Back patio concrete color is a graphite/ blackish grey. The color of the leather is a natural grey. 400 H&H for size comparison.

852558CB-401A-4615-9607-BDD27E70DA6F.jpeg

Did the 400 H&H cartridge arrive yet?

Special thanks to @Pheroze for the 400 H&H Magnum! It has arrived and will have a place to rest between a 375 and 458 soon enough.

Shown with the largest piece of leather and a very interesting piece with a very tight pattern to it.

DAFA144B-8F22-4E37-A3EC-860002C30E76.jpeg

Beautiful, I can't wait to see the final product. (y)(y)

Employing my son to sand on the salvaged wood. It's older than dirt and hard as a rock.

I'm going to be putting a list together of cartridges I'd like to pick up. The hardest to find, might be the old brass Bores.

41B51BE6-5F6A-49B9-9A3C-02DC7EBE4F7F.jpeg

My humble colection of DG cartridges is bolt rifle specific but starts at the 9.3x62,and followed by theView attachment 208579 9.3x64, 375Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, 416 Rigby, 425 WR, 404 Jeffery, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 500 Jeffery, and 505 Gibbs.

Most obvious omission appears to be the .416 Remington. Then of course you have the Weatherby Calibers which opens the door to other proprietary cartridges. I do know a Dakota chambered for .400 H&H is on my dream list.

While the 416 Rem and the 400H&H might be viable cartridges they are not on my list of desirables so had no place in my collection.
Others may have what they please in their collections but mine is for cartridges I admire rather than all those within the cartridge range.

Bumping the thread to keep the project alive. With some help, I've added a few random cartridges in no particular order. And finally grabbed some big thumpers. :)

2B8809C0-759A-4E37-8852-CD9E9A8CDED1.jpeg

9.3x74R, 300 H&H Flanged, 500 Jeffery, 600 NE, 700 NE ?

The first two are odd ducks, but were added into the collection due to the era they were introduced and how they were used.

You got the .500 Jeff. Last two are the .577 and .600 Nitro Express.

I would say your linup is pretty representative. You'd have a whole collection in itself if you tried to include all the various cartridges introduced by the british following the ban on .458s.

I'll take a crack at the lineup though: L to R
.35 whelen
7mm mag
.300 H&H
9.3x62
9.3x74R
.375 H&H
.458 Win Mag
.458 Lott
.404 Jeff
.450/400 3"
.450 NE
.470 NE
.475 #2 NE
.416 Weatherby
.416 Rigby
.450 Rigby
.460 Weatherby
.470 Capstick
.416 Taylor
.416 Rem Mag
.505 Gibbs
.22 LR
The Ban on .458?
Story? I have never heard of this.

Going to give it a try guessing the lineup. Here we go!

8x57
7mm Rem Mag
300 H&H Mag
9.3x62
9.3x74R
375 H&H
458 Win Mag
458 Lott
450-400 3"
450-400 3-1/4"
450 NE
500-450 NE
475 No.2 NE
378 Weatherby Mag
416 Rigby
450 Rigby
460 Weatherby Mag
470 Capstick
416 Taylor
416 Remington Mag
505 Gibbs
22 long rifle
+1

The Ban on .458?
Story? I have never heard of this.
450 calibre ammuniton was banned in some of the British colonies in the early 20th century. (India and Sudan come to mind). This in order to reduce acessibility to rebels who might have captured miltary rifles using that cartridge.

450 calibre ammuniton was banned in some of the British colonies in the early 20th century. (India and Sudan come to mind). This in order to reduce acessibility to rebels who might have captured miltary rifles using that cartridge.
Thanks! You got to this before I did... it was one of the first misguided attempts by ignorant politicians to regulate the criminal use of firearms by championing a method that has little to no effect of viability of a firearm and claiming it will solve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! You got to this before I did... it was one of the first misguided attempts by ignorant politicians to regulate the criminal use of firearms by championing a method that has little to no effect of viability of a firearm and claiming it will solve the issue.
Thanks to both of you.

View attachment 208421

400 H&H (308 Norma, 400 H&H with a 360gr CEB Raptor, 400 H&H with 400gr Woodleigh) I wouldn't think the 308 NM is a dangerous game cartridge, but the other two :)(y)
As I've mentioned to you previously Pheroze, I LOVE that .400 H & H cartridge design! But, WHERE is the .465 H & H? Can you or anyone produce a photo of that cartridge? Thanks!

View attachment 208421

400 H&H (308 Norma, 400 H&H with a 360gr CEB Raptor, 400 H&H with 400gr Woodleigh) I wouldn't think the 308 NM is a dangerous game cartridge, but the other two :)(y)
After seeing Von Gruff's close up photo of his cartridge collection (although I think the two Rugers are backwards), the .400 H & H looks similar to the .404 Jeffrey? Not knowing or having seen most of these cartridges, the appearances in photos really shows the differences between the various cartridges. Great photos to all!

Have a 11.2 × 72 Schuler cartridge in there. There is so little written about this cartridge

For me I believe you can cover the gamit with less than a dozen calibers: For starters the grand entry level of dangerous game cartridges begins with the 375 H&H , from there I would add the following;

.404 Jeff
.416 Rigby
.450 Rigby
.450 NE
.458 Win Mag
.458 Lott
.470 NE
.470 Capstick
.505 Gibbs
This selection of calibers should cover the field nicely.

As I've mentioned to you previously Pheroze, I LOVE that .400 H & H cartridge design! But, WHERE is the .465 H & H? Can you or anyone produce a photo of that cartridge? Thanks!
I have only ever seen a photo online. It really has drifted off to obscurity, I think. Shame

I have only ever seen a photo online. It really has drifted off to obscurity, I think. Shame
Thanks for trying! I have found an older photo of this “discontinued” cartridge brass on Midway USA. It was $106.00 us for 20 cartridges. Looks like a very nice cartridge. I’ll have to look at the case dimensions again, but one might be able to neck it down to .458 or even .416 and create a new “wildcat” type cartridge? If you could find or fabricate the brass from another cartridge? Why? Who cares! It probably hasn’t been done yet ? Someone, somewhere, with more time and money than sense, will eventually do it because this cartridge does exist! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg