What are the ideal components of a Control Round Feed action, and which actions have the best features?

Just a dude in BC

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
I would love to get an idea of what people consider not only the best CRF actions, but also, which features they consider the best. In a sense, if you could hybridize the best CRF action, what parts would it borrow from other Actions?

For back story, I already have a few CRF rifles:
-FN Browning Safari -7mm rem mag
-Kimber 8400 -270 win
-ZG 47 -270 win (This one is going to become a 9.3x62, it just does no know it yet)
-ZKK 602 -375 H&H (It has had the standard work done)
-ZKK 600 - 7x57 with the pop up peep
-Parker Hale -7mm rem mag

Of these:
-I tend to prefer the Browning, as I really like the right hand side push forward safety, and because of the fit and finish it came with.
-My silver medal would be the ZKK 600 in 7x57, since I made a new stock for it (it is gorgeous) and because I love the pop up peep.
-My least favorite is the Kimber, as it came with a weak mag spring, and sometimes this results in the bolt sliding over top of a round in the mag, since the spring does not have enough force to hold it perfectly level. Super accurate rifle, but how the hell did the spring issue get past QC?

So what do you think? What is your favorite (and why), and which features do you like the most?
Is there a common action out there that I am really missing out on? (No I am not going to buy a Rigby or something lol)

Among currently manufactured actions, my top three picks would be:
1) Granite Mountain Arms (MY FAVORITE)
2) Waffen Prechtll
3) Armeria Concari Super Mauser Magnum

Among actions that aren't being manufactured anymore:
1) Brevex (MY FAVORITE)
2) BRNO ZKK Series
3) Pattern 14 Enfield

I also like the Springfield Model 1903A3 actions for standard length cartridges as long as a titanium striker is fitted (I don't trust the original two piece strikers).

I also like the pre-'68 control round feed FN Mauser actions for standard length cartridges before they omitted the bolt guide. But the magazine floor plate requires a stronger coil spring than the ones which the Fabrique Nationale factory used to furnish the actions with. Especially for heavy recoiling cartridges.

For cartridges as large as the .458 Lott, I really like the post '92 Winchester Model 70 actions which were built at the New Haven factory until 2006.

The Mannlicher Schoenauer action is excellent, but doesn't lend itself well to rechambering due to the extremely tight tolerances at which these rifles were originally built by the factory in Austria.

Last edited:
Among currently manufactured actions, my top three picks would be:
1) Granite Mountain Arms (MY FAVORITE)
2) Waffen Prechtll
3) Armeria Concari Super Mauser Magnum

Among actions that aren't being manufactured anymore:
1) Brevex (MY FAVORITE)
2) BRNO ZKK Series
3) Pattern 14 Enfield

I also like the Springfield Model 1903A3 actions for standard length cartridges as long as a titanium striker is fitted (I don't trust the original two piece strikers).

I also like the pre-'68 control round feed FN Mauser actions for standard length cartridges before they omitted the bolt guide. But the magazine floor plate requires a stronger coil spring than the ones which the Fabrique Nationale factory used to furnish the actions with. Especially for heavy recoiling cartridges.

For cartridges as large as the .458 Lott, I really like the post '92 Winchester Model 70 actions which were built at the New Haven factory until 2006.

The Mannlicher Schoenauer action is excellent, but doesn't lend itself well to rechambering.
So what about those actions do you specifically like? The safety? Fit and finish? Trigger?

So what about those actions do you specifically like? The safety? Fit and finish? Trigger?
Very difficult to say. But I just find them to be extremely reliable.

For instance: I really like the fact that the Granite Mountain Arms actions are forged, as opposed to a lot of rifle actions which are/ were formed by a less costly process called "Investment Casting".

For instance: I really like the fact that the Granite Mountain Arms actions are forged, as opposed to a lot of rifle actions which are/ were formed by a less costly process called "Investment Casting".
I think you mean CNC machined as opposed to forged?

I think you mean CNC machined as opposed to forged?
Yeah. I like Granite Mountain Arms actions best.

P.S: When Mike Roden first starting building the Granite Mountain Arms actions, they really were forged until his nephew, John took over the business. I personally view the CNC machining as an improvement in terms of quality control.

Last edited:
There a more than one or two really good Mauser type actions, the one I have a lot of experience with is Granite Mountain Arms. I can't find anything wrong with them. And if you're lucky enough to have one of the first 100 from the company that will say Prescott AZ on the action you can be assured it will be one of the smoothest actions you've ever handled as the actioner was Fred Wells.

I have experience with the following:

1) Kimber 84L
Small, slick, slim and trim and stainless. No integral recoil lug. Only 2 bolt locking lugs. No gas flange on bolt shroud. No integral rails. Very good trigger but too many moving parts and the trigger show was too curled/small. Small trigger guard. 3-position safety which I wish was 2-position only. Mine has a detachable box magazine which I'm not a fan of but in this day and age they are practical, and this is one of the better renditions I have seen. Flush in the stock, no rattle, positive click in, easy to pull out yet not accidentally. Parts are hard/impossible to get.

2) Defiance Ruckus
Must be one of very few SA Mauser style actions in the world. LOL. Stainless, nitride coated. Slick as hell. Integral recoil lug. But only 2 bolt locking lugs. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Double-square bridge with integral picattiny mounts. Excellent 2-stage trigger but complicated. 3-pos safety that I wish was 2-pos. LA would have been great, but I already have other LA, so SA was chosen for this one. But it does limit me in cartridge choices. However works with both box magazine or detachable box magazine. Can be put into a chassis. Rem 700 style action. I do not necessarily like Rem 700 but it is like a Jeep or Harley. You can find stocks, chassis and other part for it everywhere. This one being a "one of" almost, is limited in the safety/claw/etc. parts department but stock/chassis, accessory and trigger-wise just like all the other clones.

3) Winchester M70
Stainless Mauser style action that is very slick. Integral recoil lug, flat bottom action. The new triggers are nice but too many moving parts. No gas flange on bolt shroud. No integral rails or scope mounts. The claw extractor has extra parts (not sure why those were added). The guide grove on right bolt lug, makes it less prone to wiggle and makes the bolt smoother than most Mausers. Very cool feature. Bottom metal similar to Mauser 98/Brno so also very cool especially if you get one in stainless not aluminum, but alu is lighter. Parts should be easily obtainable.

4) Brno 21/22
Small-ring Mauser. Lighter than k98, yet all the other parts should fit. I like the round-receiver ones for stripper-clip notch, and I like the double-square bridge ones for the integral scope rails. I like the bolt shroud mounted safety on the left/thumb side, and I like that it is a 2-position one. I hate that it does not lock the bolt handle. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Triggers are same as on k98. The floor plate is easier to open than on k98 but still no hinge. Trigger guard is nice and big allowing winter glove use with ease. Spoon handles are cool, and these models have the best one of them all, IMHO. But sometimes I which they had a pear-shaped handle like on commercial Mausers. I have one transition model and it has the ZG47 bolt but not the bolt shroud. Very cool to handle but still does not lock the bolt handle and does not sit as flat as the spoon handles (they do have some advantage there). Many parts are interchangeable with mod 98 so still somewhat plentiful.

5) Brno ZG47
I like the double-square bridge with integral scope rails. Gas flange on bolt shroud. The trigger is better than most Mausers for feel but it is more complicated with more moving parts. The trigger shoe is also very small and curved (like Kimber above). Wish it was a bit more open/straighter. Trigger guard has enough front space but not very generous height-wise. Trigger uses angled sear and cocking piece surfaces requiring levers in the trigger to hold the extra force, hence more complicated triggers. The Safety is nice and 2 position only and it does lock the bolt handle. But the cocking pieces and firing pin are more complicated because of that, and firing pin weakened by the extra notches. Still better than most others. Parts form mod 98 can be made to fit or fit already.

6) Brno ZKK
I like the double-square bridge with integral scope rails. Some had built-in peep sights. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Triggers are complicated with many parts and combined with bold stop and ejector.

7) CZ 550
Same as Brno ZKK. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Trigger is better feeling but also very complicated. At least it is mounted to the receiver not like ZKK triggers partially on the receiver and partially on bottom metal.

8) Brno 98, VZ 24 or any mod/k 98 really
They are all nice and cool and best but I'm partial to my old country ones. I like stripper clip notch as integral part of the receiver. I like the simple 2-stage trigger. I like the tool-less take apart bolt feature. I like integral recoil lug and flat bottom receiver. I like the internal C headspacing ring. I like gas flange on bolt shroud. Parts availability is still relatively good. The simplicity of this action is breath-taking.

9) Oberndorf Mauser
Slickest factory Mausers ever. Intermediate one I do not care for due to firing pin parts availability, but it does have the front receiver ring longer so maybe stronger in that area and also allowing for longer barrel shank. I love the stripper clip notch and simple triggers. Though double set triggers are mode complex and in 2 sets of parts (receiver and bottom metal). Parts same as mod 98 (within reason).

So, which one would be best? Probably a combination of features - just like the different manufacturers tried.

I like the smaller dimensions of the Kimber and small ring Mausers/Brnos a LOT. And they will do me just fine. But for bigger calibers I would go with the regular sized action. Mine would have the Brno style integral dovetails for scope mount but with stripper clip notch. It would also have machining for Opticotechna claw mounts (unlike German claw these leave no moving parts in the receiver) for QD scope attachment. It would have thumb-side 2 position safety that locks the bolt handle on safe. It would have a gas flange on bolt shroud. It would have integral recoil lug, flat bottom and would head space on C-ring inside the receiver. It would feature the notch in the right recoil lug to ride on the inside rail ala Win M70. Maybe it would have the top rib on the bolt ala Mauser so it does not wiggle sideways either. It would have 3 bolt locking lugs. It would have the original Mauser 2-stage trigger but slicked up. It would have the commercial Mauser pear shaped bolt handle, but Brno 21/22 spoon handle bolt would be available. It would be available in ChroMo steel or stainless or titanium, all with Nitride or similar coating that makes them slicker and more corrosion resistant. It would feature tool-less bolt/firing pin disassembly.

I may have missed or misrepresented some features due to bad memory so feel free to correct me. Also, what I consider good or bad here is just food or bad "for me" so don't get your panties in a twist if you disagree. ;)

Last edited:
Which of the features do you like the most?
It’s not so much any single feature as it is all of them. I know there are others that provide something comparable. I like that they beefed it up and that they will build it for a specific cartridge. I’d love to have a rifle built with a single square bridge, thumb cut-out and a Rigby III pattern bottom metal with a flag safety. One can dream

1) Kimber 84L
Small, slick, slim and trim and stainless. No integral recoil lug. Only 2 bolt locking lugs. No gas flange on bolt shroud. No integral rails. Very good trigger but too many moving parts and the trigger show was too curled/small. Small trigger guard. 3-position safety which I wish was 2-position only. Mine has a detachable box magazine which I'm not a fan of but in this day and age they are practical, and this is one of the better renditions I have seen. Flush in the stock, no rattle, positive click in, easy to pull out yet not accidentally. Parts are hard/impossible to get.

2) Defiance Ruckus
Must be one of very few SA Mauser style actions in the world. LOL. Stainless, nitride coated. Slick as hell. Integral recoil lug. But only 2 bolt locking lugs. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Double-square bridge with integral picattiny mounts. Excellent 2-stage trigger but complicated. 3-pos safety that I wish was 2-pos. LA would have been great, but I already have other LA, so SA was chosen for this one. But it does limit me in cartridge choices. However works with both box magazine or detachable box magazine. Can be put into a chassis. Rem 700 style action. I do not necessarily like Rem 700 but it is like a Jeep or Harley. You can find stocks, chassis and other part for it everywhere. This one being a "one of" almost, is limited in the safety/claw/etc. parts department but stock/chassis, accessory and trigger-wise just like all the other clones.

3) Winchester M70
Stainless Mauser style action that is very slick. Integral recoil lug, flat bottom action. The new triggers are nice but too many moving parts. No gas flange on bolt shroud. No integral rails or scope mounts. The claw extractor has extra parts (not sure why those were added). The guide grove on right bolt lug, makes it less prone to wiggle and makes the bolt smoother than most Mausers. Very cool feature. Bottom metal similar to Mauser 98/Brno so also very cool especially if you get one in stainless not aluminum, but alu is lighter. Parts should be easily obtainable.

4) Brno 21/22
Small-ring Mauser. Lighter than k98, yet all the other parts should fit. I like the round-receiver ones for stripper-clip notch, and I like the double-square bridge ones for the integral scope rails. I like the bolt shroud mounted safety on the left/thumb side, and I like that it is a 2-position one. I hate that it does not lock the bolt handle. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Triggers are same as on k98. The floor plate is easier to open than on k98 but still no hinge. Trigger guard is nice and big allowing winter glove use with ease. Spoon handles are cool, and these models have the best one of them all, IMHO. But sometimes I which they had a pear-shaped handle like on commercial Mausers. I have one transition model and it has the ZG47 bolt but not the bolt shroud. Very cool to handle but still does not lock the bolt handle and does not sit as flat as the spoon handles (they do have some advantage there). Many parts are interchangeable with mod 98 so still somewhat plentiful.

5) Brno ZG47
I like the double-square bridge with integral scope rails. Gas flange on bolt shroud. The trigger is better than most Mausers for feel but it is more complicated with more moving parts. The trigger shoe is also very small and curved (like Kimber above). Wish it was a bit more open/straighter. Trigger guard has enough front space but not very generous height-wise. Trigger uses angled sear and cocking piece surfaces requiring levers in the trigger to hold the extra force, hence more complicated triggers. The Safety is nice and 2 position only and it does lock the bolt handle. But the cocking pieces and firing pin are more complicated because of that, and firing pin weakened by the extra notches. Still better than most others. Parts form mod 98 can be made to fit or fit already.

6) Brno ZKK
I like the double-square bridge with integral scope rails. Some had built-in peep sights. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Triggers are complicated with many parts and combined with bold stop and ejector.

7) CZ 550
Same as Brno ZKK. No gas flange on bolt shroud. Trigger is better feeling but also very complicated. At least it is mounted to the receiver not like ZKK triggers partially on the receiver and partially on bottom metal.

They are all nice and cool and best but I'm partial to my old country ones. I like stripper clip notch as integral part of the receiver. I like the simple 2-stage trigger. I like the tool-less take apart bolt feature. I like integral recoil lug and flat bottom receiver. I like the internal C headspacing ring. I like gas flange on bolt shroud. Parts availability is still relatively good. The simplicity of this action is breath-taking.

9) Oberndorf Mauser
Slickest factory Mausers ever. Intermediate one I do not care for due to firing pin parts availability, but it does have the front receiver ring longer so maybe stronger in that area and also allowing for longer barrel shank. I love the stripper clip notch and simple triggers. Though double set triggers are mode complex and in 2 sets of parts (receiver and bottom metal). Parts same as mod 98 (within reason).

So, which one would be best? Probably a combination of features - just like the different manufacturers tried.

I like the smaller dimensions of the Kimber and small ring Mausers/Brnos a LOT. And they will do me just fine. But for bigger calibers I would go with the regular sized action. Mine would have the Brno style integral dovetails for scope mount but with stripper clip notch. It would also have machining for Opticotechna claw mounts (unlike German claw these leave no moving parts in the receiver) for QD scope attachment. It would have thumb-side 2 position safety that locks the bolt handle on safe. It would have a gas flange on bolt shroud. It would have integral recoil lug, flat bottom and would head space on C-ring inside the receiver. It would feature the notch in the right recoil lug to ride on the inside rail ala Win M70. Maybe it would have the top rib on the bolt ala Mauser so it does not wiggle sideways either. It would have 3 bolt locking lugs. It would have the original Mauser 2-stage trigger but slicked up. It would have the commercial Mauser pear shaped bolt handle, but Brno 21/22 spoon handle bolt would be available. It would be available in ChroMo steel or stainless or titanium, all with Nitride or similar coating that makes them slicker and more corrosion resistant. It would feature tool-less bolt/firing pin disassembly.

I may have missed or misrepresented some features due to bad memory so feel free to correct me. Also, what I consider good or bad here is just food or bad "for me" so don't get your panties in a twist if you disagree. ;)
Do you shoot a lot of stripper clip ammo? That one caught me off guard

Do you shoot a lot of stripper clip ammo? That one caught me off guard
Actually i do. Still have lots of 8 mm. But the clips take all ammo with the same rim size so it’s just a feature i like when shooting without scope. Hence yet another reason for QD mounted scope.

1) Kimber 84L

2) Defiance Ruckus

3) Winchester M70

4) Brno 21/22

5) Brno ZG47

6) Brno ZKK

7) CZ 550

9) Oberndorf Mauser

@Milan, appreciate your discussion of various CRF actions. Good food for thought. In current mass produced rifles at a price point, I like the current Winchester M70. The machining tolerances are good, although the wood finish needs some work.

Yea not going to lie, I was not expecting stripper clips to come up...
Don’t use them as much as I used to. Not all notches are created equally either. Not a crucial feature but i like it still. Like i said…“for me”.

@Milan, appreciate your discussion of various CRF actions. Good food for thought. In current mass produced rifles at a price point, I like the current Winchester M70. The machining tolerances are good, although the wood finish needs some work.
I like the subject. The M70 is indeed very good. The Extreme Weather models are awesome IMO

Ooooh and i forgot that my ideal would also have the Brno 21/22 trigger guard

I would love to get an idea of what people consider not only the best CRF actions, but also, which features they consider the best. In a sense, if you could hybridize the best CRF action, what parts would it borrow from other Actions?

For back story, I already have a few CRF rifles:
-FN Browning Safari -7mm rem mag
-Kimber 8400 -270 win
-ZG 47 -270 win (This one is going to become a 9.3x62, it just does no know it yet)
-ZKK 602 -375 H&H (It has had the standard work done)
-ZKK 600 - 7x57 with the pop up peep
-Parker Hale -7mm rem mag

Of these:
-I tend to prefer the Browning, as I really like the right hand side push forward safety, and because of the fit and finish it came with.
-My silver medal would be the ZKK 600 in 7x57, since I made a new stock for it (it is gorgeous) and because I love the pop up peep.
-My least favorite is the Kimber, as it came with a weak mag spring, and sometimes this results in the bolt sliding over top of a round in the mag, since the spring does not have enough force to hold it perfectly level. Super accurate rifle, but how the hell did the spring issue get past QC?

So what do you think? What is your favorite (and why), and which features do you like the most?
Is there a common action out there that I am really missing out on? (No I am not going to buy a Rigby or something lol)
Why don't you remove the magazine spring and add some spring tension? Simply stretch it apart.

I had the same trepidation about investment casting until I read that General Electric was investment casting compressor fans in jet engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.