What animal do you think is the most overrated for the trophy fee? Or daily fees that make it expens

If anything the cape buffalo or sable make all the terrific impala, warthogs, and kudu look like a terrific deal. The bottom line is you can't control it, all you can do is work with the system. Save your money and hunt what you can afford. :) Some how inner peace comes with knowing you just can't do the expensive hunts.

Exactly Eric! Enjoy what you can in Africa, it's probably much more than many will. I'm grateful for the one time I made it there. I hope it won't be the last, but if it turns out to be, well at least I made it once.

If I could just throw in some other ideas to think about maybe it makes more sense to combine hunts especially with DG for example you could do a 14 day hunt in Mozambique that will include Buffalo, crocodile and hippo for around $20 K now it sounds like a high price but you get to spend 14 days in a place that still feels like Africa not the quick $10 K buff hunts with 5 hunting days in and out job pressure on everybody to deliver and stress if the buffalo has not been shot on day 3.

If your lucky and bag all 3 animals in lets say 8 days nothing stops you from pre arranging to move to another concession and shooting a sable for trophy fee only extra and some of the more difficult to find duikers, suni and even nyala. Or depending on quota adding an extra buff at trophy fee only yes its $20K but adding everything up you do get a lot for it.

Unfortunately nothing really gets cheaper business costs are just rising and competition for the best areas and concessions are also pushing up the rates and prices for outfitters to make a living its a tough world but its not impossible depending on how much you really want it.

So basicaly make a plan save up for that big ticket hunt and add the others as extras or what ever else comes up in the way as deals when you are in camp.

I agree with you Fredrik. Mozambique might be the best place to do a wild sable and cape buffalo hunt. Plus their are other plains game found there too.

I agree with all but we must always remember the simplest thing of all, Everything cost money the comfortable Cruiser that my client hunts in is a 70 000 US dollar vehicle or in Rand a R470 000 vehicle add a winch add an additional feul tank an some good tyres and we are talking half a bar for a hunting truck.

What I believe is when a hunter stands at a booth he should always remember that this is as cheap as it will ever be. Operating costs are scary guys, if you do not own a hunting company you will not believe the figures, logistics on rebuilding camps on an annual basis, block fees, getting supplies into the area, running antipoaching, vehicle maintenance the average well established outfit runs a fleet.

All of this adds up and if you are not showing a profit of 20-30% any successfull buisnes owner will tell you that you might as well close your doors.

Yes prices are higher than what they were, and so is everything else. If you are sitting on a 30% profit margin shouldnt that be fair?

I am enjoying this thread and would like to hear from other outfits and fellow hunters what your thoughts are.

My best always.

Sorry guys!!!! Just repeated what another oufitter mentioned 3 pages ago! Will retract and try to add usefull input at a letter stage!

My best.

I thought you added to the conversation Jaco. It will be good to hear what others opinions are?

Guys! The simple answer to all these cost increases is 'The OIL INDUSTRY' and them Illuminati'!!! We need to get rid of them suckers!!! :mad:
FHM 3006...a nice thought! Problem is that when the economy catches up, there are no 'citizen hunts' left as everything has a price on it's head and biltong hunts no longer exist in Zim at least!
As a PH of 20 years, I cannot get an Impala for my 18 yr old daughter to shoot without paying a 'trophy' fee... nothing for nothing these days!

if anything for sure the buffalo is the most over rated, and coming in secondly sable, i just think the prices for buff is crazy and it isnt worth that money, really, im mean eland weighs more than a buff, but still you can hunt eland for US1500. yes i know the buff is this hole exclusive and dangerous crap , but no way does that entitle it to that price class, im mean really, its not like its endangered or anything like that, cause buff numbers are very high, so explain to me that, if no one wanted to hunt buff for a year or two then youll see buff prices tumbling
and its a load of crap to pay trophy fees for any animal to be hunted, local south african hunting industry brings in more money than the trophy hunting industry, so stop biltong hunting in SA then youll see what happens, as is the case with the resession all over, the past 2 year local farms in namibia and south africa offered biltong hunting again, where they never did, only trophy hunting, thats the signs for you! take away local hunting then the whole market will crash, watch!

I agree with you NamHunter. Hunt eland on foot. It's a great hunt! Very underrated!!! You guys are luck to be able to take the meat home too. I'm a little jealous of all that delicious meat you get to eat.

For me personally doing a tracking hunt like you would do for buffalo on eland in mopane bush must be one of the best hunts one can do, drive to certain water points checking the tracks and taking it from there is excatly the same as hunting elephant or buffalo just wayyy cheaper. And of course is must be done from September when its hot and dry.

Eric,
This has been one of the best threads I have had the pleasure of reading and participating in, well done and keep them coming. I do agree with most of these points made by the PH's themselves as far as operating cost, but must ask again, is it just the hunters lust for a certain animal that drives the cost up for a specific animal? is it how much $$ the meat brings at market? what makes the a Kudu cost more than a Wildebeest if you have the same number of each on your property?

The one animal I always scratch my head about the cost is the waterbuck! What is it about a waterbuck that drives the trophy fee to around $2500?

Graybird, the reason why a waterbuck is more....is simple fact it has horns on it's head. Some people may think it's ugly animal....don't know why? But to me and a few others it's right up there with kudu. My memories of 30+ days of hunting plains game, is the waterbuck might be a very misunderstood plains game animal. Having seen young waterbuck...they are interesting to watch. But when you see a waterbuck with horns that 8.5 to 9 inches on the bottom for mass and the horns go to 28+ inches...holy cow you have something special on your hands. I have super fond memories of hunting waterbuck. Again the price has to match the quality. Everyone has the right to pass if the waterbuck doesn't meet certain criteria.

35bore, maybe the PH's might want to answer your question. My two cents is the wildebeest price does go up when you want a 30+ inch animal. I have seen the price really jump when they super wide! I will always be a kudu man. There is just something about hunting them! Everyone I know thinks they are stunningly beautiful. And horn length for sure drives prices up.I think the wildebeest will always widely available....because some people think they are ugly. My family thinks they are ugly....don't know why either...that is not my opinion though. One of the nicest animals I ever took in Africa was a red lechwe...they are stunning to just watch. It's my wifes favorite mount by leaps and bounds.

I think hunting oryx on foot in Namibia is a real underestimated great hunt!

Eric,
what makes the a Kudu cost more than a Wildebeest if you have the same number of each on your property?

Wildebeest breed like rabbits they are very adaptable to any new environment the mothers are very good and look after and defend their young as far as they can while kudu will run away from any predators and their young are easy prey. Add to that that kudu die of cold and when there are drought struggle more.

I hunted with cruiser safaris in RSA in March and it was priced well. Had good concessions, good food, knowledgable PH (Craig) and great lodge but the price was great.

Sable is probably the most overpriced, as many have already stated.

Morning guys!! Want to swing the thread a little as all or at least most of us are leaning towards Sable, and Possibly buff, I need to bring this up I must admit that Leopard hunts selling for anything under $25 000 are UNDER priced, it is in my humble opinion the most under priced African trophy.

Taking all factors into consideration, tag availability, success rate, work, and just the nature of the beast all makes it the most prized trophy in Afria and one that eludes dedicated ph's and hunters alike thr most!

My best always.

Morning guys!! Want to swing the thread a little as all or at least most of us are leaning towards Sable, and Possibly buff, I need to bring this up I must admit that Leopard hunts selling for anything under $25 000 are UNDER priced, it is in my humble opinion the most under priced African trophy.

Taking all factors into consideration, tag availability, success rate, work, and just the nature of the beast all makes it the most prized trophy in Afria and one that eludes dedicated ph's and hunters alike thr most!

My best always.

+1 could not agree more on leopard

Eric,
This has been one of the best threads I have had the pleasure of reading and participating in, well done and keep them coming. I do agree with most of these points made by the PH's themselves as far as operating cost, but must ask again, is it just the hunters lust for a certain animal that drives the cost up for a specific animal? is it how much $$ the meat brings at market? what makes the a Kudu cost more than a Wildebeest if you have the same number of each on your property?

35, I feel it's that certain animals 'epitomize' Africa! So that's the common critters like, Zebra, woundebeest, Kudu, warthog etc. They fetch one price range ( animals you'll find on more abundant packages). Then there's the DG range, they fit another price range, then the exotic (perceived) range ( Waterbuck, Sitatunga, Lechwe, Sable, Nyala etc etc, less common and widespread) that the 'old hands' must have to complete the African section of the trophy room!. It's those now that fetch the upper crust!

I am certainly not an expert on african wildlife, however I am very curious, and want to learn as much as possible about the land and people where I hunt.

I ve had long and candid conversations with outfitters (maybe it helps that I write for a spanish gun magazine), and concerning prices, they have told me that some species are more expensive simply because there are less of them due to the fact that they don t reproduce as easily, those that Ole Bally calls the "exotics".

I still remenber last year, seeing a beautiful Red Lechwe, and shooting it......with my camera !

We ll see if my budget allows me to take one next year !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross