Stretch

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA , Canada, Botswana
I have watched various slow motion u-tube videos that show animals that move at the shot causing arrow impact to change from where you aim. Some of these animals were alert but others were calmly feeding /drinking and still managed to move before the arrow hit them. What Africa plains game species is most likely to "jump the string?'

Every last one of them that are shot at by a water hole,
or that has heard a release before and smelled the resultant blood from his late best friend.

Water points are every critters most vulnerable point. Stuff with claws and teeth have been waiting beside it and in it for ever!

My favourites for amazing reactions are Impala.

Interesting point BRICKBURN. Does it help when shooting from inside a hide? My thought was that some of the sound is contained within the confines of the hide. Do I shoot low on an impala to compensate for the drop?

I think that really depends on the hides design.
I have seen mesh frames with rocks piled up; concrete bunkers; sticks and cloth, etc.
Raised, ground level, below ground ....
Small holes, slots, shooting doors.

Opinions vary markedly on this, of course.
Proximity to the water, bait,.
This was one that got debated in school a lot.
If you don't do proper blind placement you get jumpy critters.

Number of animals present when the shots are taken. Learning to groups of eyes watching.
Number of hunters using that blind, ? ie. over use or not enough rest time.
If there are only three blinds to use versus 19.

Hope you get rested hides and don't have to attempt to compensate for things beyond your control.

Where to shoot?
At the proper aiming point in that "triangle" every time.
If the critter jumps and you have to do some tracking that is what the pros get paid for.

There is only one certain cure, but it requires the complete eradication of strings and I know you don't want to use that method. (They won't let you use one from the blind anyway) :)

Once again - good answers BRICKBURN. You pointed out lots of variables. The outfitter we are going has 50+ hides and plans to build some more. They are mostly large pit blinds and raised hides on waterholes, game trails and bait/salt licks. I will also be able to do some spot and stalk. That should be a challenge with the bow.

Nothing wrong with gun hunting I just like the challenge of archery.

Not a pro at hunting Africa by any means, I have only been twice, but i think Brickburn hit the nail on the head with his assesment. these animals even behind high fences have it ingrained in their heads that the danger is around water holes. they are all jittery when around water and any little sound or movement even in the enclosed hides will send them running. I agree alos that the Impala is probably the jumpiest followed closely by the Blesbock.

I'm casting my vote for the jumpiest on warthogs.

My vote goes to impala they are particularly jumpy at the waterholes!

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

I dont know which is one is worse impala or duiker, warthogs are good too.

Have a look at this

[video=youtube_share;Z7g740hmaAc]http://youtu.be/Z7g740hmaAc[/video]

By far is the small antelope like Duiker, they are extremely cautious by nature. Second to that are Impala which are heavily hunted and very skittish at the waterholes, this is worsened if the property gets heavily hunted as the animals have come to grow wary of the hides.

Best bet is to try and "read" their posture and demeanor, if the animal seems overly skittish make sure to aim a couple inches lower than you would normally.

My vote goes for Impala...hands down.

All this information is giving me some good insight into the tendencies of Africa critters. So far impala, warthog, and duiker top the list.

So it would seem the lower on the price list the likelier they are to jump the string? Very interesting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanna9950

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.