Westley Richards Synthetic??

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Well never thought I would see this but I don't think it is a good sign ?

WR-43664-Plastic-Fantastic-4747-Edit-Edit.jpg

WR-43664-Plastic-Fantastic-7256-Edit.jpg

Not really Oak & Leather here !

WR-43664-Plastic-Fantastic-7272-Edit.jpg

WR Plastic-Fantastic.jpg

Right now it is a one-off, but I am thinking this might not be a bad idea.

Not only is hunting hardly on the ascendency these days, but the reasonably wealthy walnut and rust blue customer base is decidedly well into the final lines of the actuary tables. The newer couple of generations are clearly a synthetic centric crowd. Assuming WR could price it in the upper range of the R8 production models, it likely would carry a real cachet with those who want a fine, nearly indestructible rifle from one of the best gunmakers in the world.

I hope they decide to build a few as a market test.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.40 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.41 PM.png
    653.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.43 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.38.45 PM.png
    682.8 KB · Views: 103

Would be interesting to see if they'd also do a single shot or a double with a synthetic stock.

While I am not a sythentic fan, looking at the lines of that stock... it ain't a ruger american. If a sythetic stocked rifle could be a classic... this would be it. It has all the lines of a beautiful british bolt gun. I would also warrant that it isn't made of tupperware either... however, if they price it the same as one of their rust blued walnut stocked rifles, they likely won't sell many of them.

While I am not a sythentic fan, looking at the lines of that stock... it ain't a ruger american. If a sythetic stocked rifle could be a classic... this would be it. It has all the lines of a beautiful british bolt gun.
That was my first thought as well conflicted with being a walnut and blued steel guy but the lines and shaping are really impressive. I know they are almost certainly an exact copy of what a walnut stock is but without the beauty of the wood to distract the eye, the lines, proportions and symetry really show through so yes, I like it

My first thought was - horror!
But lets analyze what is happening here. Introducing an affordable entry level variant to support the upper end is obviously sound economics. You need both ends though, the upper adds the flair and name to the well engineered lower end that is frequently mechanically identical, sans decoration. Rigby is a prime example, Heym does it too, both have entry level variants labelled as PH models.
If WR prices this correctly you may be looking at the saviour of that fine old company. Not all are going to survive, I think Rigby and Heym will, but I feared for WR. If they price this to the volume market I can wear that and it gets my support as an acknowledgement of smarts. If they miss this golden opportunity, well that would be sad.

Not only is hunting hardly on the ascendency these days, but the reasonably wealthy walnut and rust blue customer base is decidedly well into the final lines of the actuary tables. The newer couple of generations are clearly a synthetic centric crowd. Assuming WR could price it in the upper range of the R8 production models, it likely would carry a real cachet with those who want a fine, nearly indestructible rifle from one of the best gunmakers in the world.

Red Leg, I think you're right. My son is an avid hunter too, but he's a carbon-fiber, Creedmore-shooting kinda guy. When he has the wherewithal to go on big hunts, he'll probably want such a rifle. He'll probably be able to afford one once he sells all of my "old fashioned" rifles. :) I can't help thinking that the world will be a poorer place once the "walnut and blued steel crowd" have all achieved room temperature. I for one will be a holdout.

I too am a blued steel and wood chap. Saying that my go rifle is a custom 7x64 in a synth stock for ease of cleaning etc. Also its normally wet in England.
At first I didnt care for this new rifle by WR much but the more I thought about it the more I feel they should put the thing into production. Saying that they might not to keep the product exclusive but if they do I sure hope the make them in 500 jeff

I guess I don't see what some of you guys are seeing. It looks like a standard cerakoted and synthetic stocked rifle to me. Take away the professional photography, special lighting, editing and put it on a gun store counter and it will look just like every other plastic stocked rifle out there.

That said, if this is what it takes to save WR and they can find a happy medium between classic and new school then more power to them. Knowing what they would sell this rifle for would be very interesting.

This is a real head scratcher.

I guess I don't see what some of you guys are seeing. It looks like a standard cerakoted and synthetic stocked rifle to me. Take away the professional photography, special lighting, editing and put it on a gun store counter and it will look just like every other plastic stocked rifle out there.

That said, if this is what it takes to save WR and they can find a happy medium between classic and new school then more power to them. Knowing what they would sell this rifle for would be very interesting.

This is a real head scratcher.
I have a feeling they wont make it a production rifle. From what I can see and have read all the metal work has been done by hand. If they made that as a production rifle it will still be in around £20k. A WR bolt action starts at £35.5k

I would buy this instantly if they skip the engravings and price it at the lower end of M98 custom pricing. A Synthetic 300 WM M98 is perfect addidion to my wooden Mausers in 7x57 and 375 H&H. I Always prefer wood in general but a week of constant sideways rain will not be kind on walnut...

It is going to be really interesting to see what Beretta does with H&H. Will they dumb it down and maybe we see synthetic stocks, or just re-launch at the high end? The winning formula is surely maintain high quality, but at a more affordable price, made possible on the back of more modern technologies.

This reminds me of a nudist beach. Those that should, do not, those that shouldn’t, do.

Westley, and Griffin & Howe, and Cogswell & Harrison, and Blaser, and Dakota have all done this horrible rifle design hoping to broaden their market share.

You know what a 20 year old plastic rifle that has been on many hunts looks like? The yard sale trash you’d expect it to look like. You know what an oil finished walnut stocked custom gun from the above makers looks like after the same period of use? Like a friggin masterpiece that has aged well. A few dings, a bit of softening to the checkering points, a few layers of new oil put over some rubs and abrasions, a bit of burnishing to the wood where it has been heavily carried.

Best gun and plastic gun cannot be used in the same sentence. Like a fat girl on a scooter I cannot un-see the picture shared by the OP. Forever etched into my brain and sure to haunt me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!