Well boys, what's your temperature like now?

Thats about 30 miles west of me- give or take. Should have seen the live feed from the top, looked like a sci fi movie showing some extreme uninhabitable planet. Pretty crazy
I'm sure no humans were present, but how do the animals living there even BREATHE?

We are finally above zero and not in the negatives. It is “warming up” just enough to snow this week. Because the 3’+ we already have isn’t enough apparently. :E Crying::E Crying:

9F567049-9291-4D42-BF1D-0AC5B8BEA9E7.jpeg
9 degrees here today.

I'm sure no humans were present, but how do the animals living there even BREATHE?

I believe it is still a manned weather station. I could be wrong. I do know we used to have a weather man on the local news that would spend his winters up there. I actually just googled it and it has been continuously manned since 1932. Here is a pic of one of the wooden buildings up there. Notice the large chains going over the roof.
IMG_9583.JPG

-20 when I checked at 7am here in Western Maine, warmed up to 6 above for a couple hours now it's heading back down again. Won't be nearly as bad tomorrow, thankfully.

Nice to see another Mainer on here, aren't too many of us!

There are a few of us here.

I believe it is still a manned weather station. I could be wrong. I do know we used to have a weather man on the local news that would spend his winters up there. I actually just googled it and it has been continuously manned since 1932. Here is a pic of one of the wooden buildings up there. Notice the large chains going over the roof.
View attachment 515491
Very interesting, but odd why the weather station would still be manned? We have automated technology now. I was reading where the last manned lighthouse in the US in Boston became automated in 1998. Maybe the guy running the weather station is a hermit? LOL

Very interesting, but odd why the weather station would still be manned? We have automated technology now. I was reading where the last manned lighthouse in the US in Boston became automated in 1998. Maybe the guy running the weather station is a hermit? LOL

I did some further looking into it. There are 2 crews that swap out on a weekly basis. The venture outside on an hourly basis to deice and make sure instruments are working correctly. Here’s an article I was reading about it.

The ride to the top during non winter months is quite the ride. I’ve driven it twice - we went up in October and it was quite chilly at the top. You can also make the journey via the Cog railway.

I always used to say I would rather be cold than hot.
HOWEVER….not THIS cold and not this long. I cannot wait to move back down south where I belong.

@Just Gina, outside temperature is an interesting thing. My family has moved north and south East Coast through my career. This is our third and likely last move to Florida, two years ago we moved after 12 years from Rochester NY. We seem to adapt well to either hot or cold easily. Rochester typically gets 11 feet of snow and cold and here in Central Florida typically 90-93 high every summer day. We are outdoor people and we have totally enjoyed both sides of the climate. Personally I believe a lot is psychological. The news calls out our heat and cold and we obey. As I loved hunting and skiing in upstate NY I long for our summer months here in Florida, all but hurricanes which I don’t long for.

I always used to say I would rather be cold than hot.
HOWEVER….not THIS cold and not this long. I cannot wait to move back down south where I belong.

I think I know a nice place with views over the river....sure I could sort @ActionBob a plot for a reasonable price...just so you wouldn't get too cold ...I am so helpful... :E Lol:

Probably around 30c...maybe bit more in sunshine.....should be pissing down with rain.....

View attachment 515260

View attachment 515261

Well I opened my mouth a bit early....yesterday evening started to rain and temp plummeted...down to probably 18 or 19c....overcast all today and cold....maybe 22c max today..now back down to same 18 or 19c...so last night and tonight nice fire in the bar :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

Ice & snow covered the roads for most of NTX the last week… was sunny ️ & 70 today….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg