Weatherby Vanguard Safari 375 H&H... it's a ghost

Weatherby (Howa) only made 99 Vanguard Safaris in 375 H&H. They are impossible to find. I had to import mine from Canada. There is much misinformation on this thread in regards to availability and pricing. Below is a pic of mine after a trip to NECG for barrel band swivel and Timney trigger installations. For what it's worth, I have turned down 3x some of the above appraisals. View attachment 501660
Nice one ! I didn't see the picture when I responded earlier because I was using my phone.
Yep, that's exactly the same as mine, with the exception of the sling mount on the barrel.
Mine doesn't have the barrel sling mount. Re The appraisals... yes indeed as would I. :).
Is that still the standard factory rear sight?
Thanks again.

Bought one a few years ago. Well made rifle and good accuracy. I think I paid $850 cdn. It was very muzzle heavy so I removed the recoil pad and inserted 15.5 ounces of lead in the hollow chambers of the butt stock. Glued it in with silicone. It not only balanced the rifle perfectly, the added weight helped absorb recoil, and being balanced it handled much better and almost made it feel lighter. These rifles came from the factory too light for this caliber, in my opinion. Eventually sold it and bought a Winchester Safari Express also in .375 H&H which I traded in on an Anschutz in 9.3x62. I think I’ll keep this one.

Bought one a few years ago. Well made rifle and good accuracy. I think I paid $850 cdn. It was very muzzle heavy so I removed the recoil pad and inserted 15.5 ounces of lead in the hollow chambers of the butt stock. Glued it in with silicone. It not only balanced the rifle perfectly, the added weight helped absorb recoil, and being balanced it handled much better and almost made it feel lighter. These rifles came from the factory too light for this caliber, in my opinion. Eventually sold it and bought a Winchester Safari Express also in .375 H&H which I traded in on an Anschutz in 9.3x62. I think I’ll keep this one.
G'Day dougfinn,
Thanks for the reply. Good information and makes perfect sense.
Mine comes in at 4kg exactly (8.818lb) unloaded i.e. no ammo.
Suspect it's almost bang on 9lb once I fill it up.
I have seen information somewhere (maybe Potterfield), where someone routs out the fore-end and epoxy's in some weight up there. I don't think it was on a Weatherby though...
But as you say, these Safari's tend to have more weight up front than behind.
Maybe the butt stock is the way to go if I decide to go down that path.
I'll put a few up the chimney and see how it handles first.
Thanks again.
Regards

Nice one ! I didn't see the picture when I responded earlier because I was using my phone.
Yep, that's exactly the same as mine, with the exception of the sling mount on the barrel.
Mine doesn't have the barrel sling mount. Re The appraisals... yes indeed as would I. :).
Is that still the standard factory rear sight?
Thanks again.
It is the standard factory rear sight. I planned on upgrading to a three leaf; however, the high comb of the rifle makes it difficult for me to use with irons. It was also a bit of a business decision as with the cost of the updated sight, I would have had more in the rifle than I could ever get back. The reason I bought was because I was looking for a strong, accurate rifle that would enable me to shoot up to 300 yards on a 2023 buffalo, leopard, plains game hunt - a sort of dangerous game/plains game hybrid if you will. I have other 375’s and I’m not exactly sure which I’m taking; however, I will scope and shoot and see which gets the start. I also understand it’s a push feed rifle and that scares me zero. If you only knew what I had seen these actions do.

The barrel and action are the same as a Howa 1500, so you should have no problem finding an aftermarket stock that will fit the bill. The Vanguard is a solid rifle that will provide years of service. Good find

i currently use and absolutely love the vanguard dangerous game model in .375. i bought it as an introduction .375 but it fits me and shoots fantastic. No need to upgrade. Hell i use the cheaper 270 grain bullets from federal to hunt groundhogs and coyotes in prep for hunts.

My son bought one of these (Vanguard Howa) with a plastic stock (my term on plastic) but its not wood) .300 Win Mag in late 2016 early 2017 to take to Africa on a trip with me. He put a high end tactical scope on it, (he knows how to use them), I don't. He paid $800 plus change for the rifle if I remember correctly. But it is a one hole puncher. Everything he shot (except) his pig, was a one shot kill at 250-350 yards. I won't even shoot at an animal that far away.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.29 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.29 AM Large.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.30 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.30 AM Large.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.31 AM Large.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.35 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.09.35 AM Large.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.