Wanting a high accuracy 308 bolt action rifle what to get?

Rocco490

AH fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for a bolt action rifle in 308 capable of .75 moa or better 5 shot groups with a match round it likes. Any thoughts?
Besides the accuracy here are some features/qualities I am wanting. A smooth action feel with great reliability. Both CRF and push feed are fine don't care either way. Barrel length 20"- 24". 1 in 11.25" or faster twist. Great factory trigger or ability to replace with great aftermarket trigger. A stiff strong strait comb stock preferred (do not like some of the flimsy polymer stocks). NO muzzle brakes.

Appreciate any advice to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Whats your budget?

a .75 MOA 308 bolt gun isnt a tough proposition... the other requirements (bbl length, trigger, etc) arent too tough either..

Youre likely not looking at having to spend a lot of money unless you just want to..

Back in my "precision" shooting days.. every Remington 700 Sendero in 308 (26" bbl) I ever touched would easily shoot .75 MOA or better using either Federal Gold Medal Match or Lake City Match.. every Reminton 700 P (20" bbl in 308) would do the same.. most could produce .5 MOA with a little tweaking and tuning... that was the big reason that in the 80's, 90's, and even into the early 2000's they were pretty much the standard among police swat teams in the US for their "sniper" elements.. they were affordable, highly accurate, pretty much idiot proof rifles...

I know there isn't a lot of love for Rem products here (for good reasons).. but based on your requirements, the 700 "tactical" rifles might be a very good option for you..

Ive never shot a Rem 700 SPS Tactical (what appears to have replaced the old 700P)... but my guess is you'd get the same results.. well under MOA accuracy with good match ammo, a better than average trigger (that's easy to replace if you want something better), 20" bbl, 1:10 twist.... for less than $750 at most retailers..

Is this for bench use or hunting?
FN SPRA1 in 308 is a great option for bench use but a little heavy to tote around the field.Hard to beat a vanguard or Howa for a solid and accurate budget friendly rifle. If you have a bit higher budget I’d say a win 70 featherweight, kimber or Cooper

Like Midwest stated, what's your budget? What are your plans with the rifle? Do you want 8# or 14# rifle?

Seekins Precision is where I would start if you want something the is close to custom in a production rifle.

Bergara is another good rifle on the lower end of the scale.

Daniel Defense Delta 5.

If you can find one, FN SPR is one to consider.

These days I would be looking at a twist of 1 in 10" or faster. The faster twist gives you more options in terms of monometal projectiles such as Barnes etc. For example the Barnes 168g TTSX specifies 1 in 11 or faster. I have a Savage Model 10 with a 1 in 10 twist and find it gets great accuracy with conventional or Barnes style projectiles.

I would not let a muzzle brake keep me from buying a rifle. Take it off and put a thread protector on it. Later on if you want to get a suppressor you are set.
Yes that is okay but I thought some rifles barrels have the brake porting in the barrels themselves and are not removable, those I do not want

Last edited:
Like Midwest stated, what's your budget? What are your plans with the rifle? Do you want 8# or 14# rifle?

Seekins Precision is where I would start if you want something the is close to custom in a production rifle.

Bergara is another good rifle on the lower end of the scale.

Daniel Defense Delta 5.

If you can find one, FN SPR is one to consider.
Bench rest shooting primarily. Bare rifle weight lets say 6.5-10 pounds

Sako's from what I can find in searching are closer to the $2000 price range. Wanting to keep rifle cost below 1500 if possible.

You can get into the 700 SPS, including decent quality mounts, rings, and glass for $1500... and, if you're wanting to do work on the bench, the 700 series offers a wealth of OEM and aftermarket options that most others wont (again, there is a reason that it was the standard in both military and law enforcement precision shooting for close to 40 years)..

Youre not going to win any F1 matches with an off the shelf 700... but... if you want to shoot little clover leaf groups at 100 meters with match grade ammo and start working on the fundamentals of precision shooting.. an off the shelf 700 will get you where you want to go pretty affordably..

I can not believe we've made it to post #17 without someone trying to upsell a caliber. I mean really, what the hell is going on. Everyone knows a 308WIN is garbage compared to the 30-06...and don't even get me started on the 300WM, 300WBY, 30NOSLER, 300RUM...:ROFLMAO: :A Stirring::A Popcorn:

In all seriousness, you would be hard pressed to find an out of the box rifle that shoots better than a Savage 110 for less money. Comes in a variety of weights, colors and finishes to suit just about every hunter and shooter out there. Stick with the AccuStock models and you will be fine.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Looking hard at the Howa 1500 hs precision.
Remington is another I will have to look at but past experience with the newer production remingtons had been hit and miss for me.
Will look at the savages too.

Have something you already own blueprinted and rebarreled with highest quality--only a build can GUARANTEE pristine accuracy. I have even had faulty new Sakos...sad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois