Wanted TC Contender

that is actually quite good looking... I wonder if the wood would have been styled a little less organic, but with more classic lines, what it would look like.

I know nothing of T/C arms pistols. How do they open? The barrel tips open, like a kipplauf?
You pull trigger guard extension on the bottom and the barrel tip down like a single shotgun.

You pull trigger guard extension on the bottom and the barrel tip down like a single shotgun.
So a bit similar like the Ruger No1? But instead of a separate lever, you pull on the whole trigger guard?

I have an older contender from the 90’s, it is not for sale, it has the cougar on the side of it, never had an issue with it, have had four barrels for it they all fit just fine, am down too a 30-30, and a .45 colt/.410 bbl, it has accounted for several whitetail deer, and a lot of hares and squirrels. It is capable of handling hotloaded .45 colts if you look in the reloading manuals, good luck in your search, I enjoy hunting with mine.

Last edited:
24C2B436-23A6-42E3-806C-0F80D74724F7.jpeg

over the years i owned both kinds of standard and G-2 tc frames, but i,m down to two right now. a light weight G-2 in 7-waters with a 21" barrel and syn stock with a 1-4x leople scope and a G-2 in .375 jdj with a 22" barrel and wood stock with a 6x leupold scope. both a a moa or close to it with the loads they like.

DSCN0822.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum is expensive to belong to. I went to look and decide if I might be interested in selling my T/C to @scoober78 and ended up bidding on a 30-30 barrel to add to my assortment. :E Shake Head:

Good luck in your search. The Contender is a really slick, handy platform. Btw, mine is an early model with the mod done, so any G2 barrel will fit. I would have to go look at the serial number cutoff, but that is the only thing you might want to keep an eye on.

This forum is expensive to belong to. I went to look and decide if I might be interested in selling my T/C to @scoober78 and ended up bidding on a 30-30 barrel to add to my assortment. :E Shake Head:

Good luck in your search. The Contender is a really slick, handy platform. Btw, mine is an early model with the mod done, so any G2 barrel will fit. I would have to go look at the serial number cutoff, but that is the only thing you might want to keep an eye on.
Leaning towards a G2 for that reason...
Thanks for looking! Sorry my question cost you some dollars!

Leaning towards a G2 for that reason...
Thanks for looking! Sorry my question cost you some dollars!
You'd think I would quit looking at the classifieds. I've seen others with a worse addiction than me though! Wonder if it's contagious?

The G2 is a solid frame, but a little bit heavier (ounces, not pounds). Pretty unusual to run into an early frame without the mod to fit the G2 barrels. The only real advantage of the G2 is the ability to recock the hammer w/o breaking the action open.

I have never had an issue with a barrel not fitting a frame. I have 26 barrels, and 5 frames. They are all interchangeable. I switch barrels and frames as needed. All the frames are Gen 1. Barrels are 17 Remington to 375 JDJ. All are the pistol configuration. Great guns, and accurate. Am going to SA in May for a Buffalo, and others with the 375 JDJ.

I have never had an issue with a barrel not fitting a frame. I have 26 barrels, and 5 frames. They are all interchangeable. I switch barrels and frames as needed. All the frames are Gen 1. Barrels are 17 Remington to 375 JDJ. All are the pistol configuration. Great guns, and accurate. Am going to SA in May for a Buffalo, and others with the 375 JDJ.
Mr. Johnson, that Sir, is a collection!
Let me know if you want to fund your tip with a frame sale!

I have had three contenders with the old style frames and several other barrels (357, 44, etc) and had no problem with any of them.

Until reading this chain of comments, I had never heard of anyone having a problem with a TC manufactured barrel not fitting an Contender frame.

I had a 9.3 JDJ which was a very powerful handgun. I sold it as my 375 Winchester did everything I needed with a little less recoil and less expensive to reload for.

My 223 Contender is very accurate (less than 1" @ 100 yds from bench. I have a 22 LR insert that I have used to shoot 22 CB caps to kill pigeons without disturbing any neighbors.

While the G2 may have a stronger frame, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a chambering made for a contender. I know that a few Contenders were barreled for the 250 Savage and the owners said they didn't have a problem.

If I were looking for different Contender barrel, I would consider a 7/30 Waters or a 6.5 JDJ.

I hunted with my 375 Winchester contender for years, It is an excellent deer cartridge,

Barrels made prior to 1981 had a solid lug on the barrel. The conversion is/was pretty simple and could be done by Thompson, or they would mail you the parts free of charge. That was many years ago and prior to S&W buying them. Have no idea if the parts are still available and if so, at what cost. As it was pretty easy to swap out the solid bolts for the new split bolts, most of those early barrels have probably been converted and will thus work on any G2 frame.
The newer frames (post 1981) are referred to as "easy open". The pivot point of the trigger guard was moved. Frames made prior to 1981 could be sent back to Thompson and have the frame drilled and the new pin put in for a pretty nominal fee. They were still doing it into the 90s, but again, with the buyout, I don't know if the modification is still available from the factory or if you would have to find a 'smith to do it.
The G2 came along around the turn of the century, lol, that sounds like it should be a long time ago. It will work with any barrel except a pre-1981 with the original solid lugs.
Couldn't find a chart, but I think the serial number would have to be 5 digits or less for this to be looked for. Hope this cleared up some of the mud.

I have a 7-30 Waters, .375 Win, and 45-70 barrels I would sell.
I would also trade any of those for a .22 Hornet or .223 Rem barrel.
I have a 10 inch 22 hor bbl with leupold mts that had a bit of surface rust, so I will sell it with the mounts if you're interested. Ill include the dies, lots of bullets (I'll count them if you're interested) loaded ammo, brass, etc. Also a 357 Maximum 20 in bbl with shoulder stock and foreend. I'll include the dies where you can shoot 357 Max, 357 Mag, and 38 Spl. Great combo. My 30 Herrett is a killer! Several deer, wild hogs and a cow elk! Never took it to Africa.

Last edited:
Another cool option is the TCR if you can find one, they are sweet little rifles and also swap barrel. I have both the std and mag receivers. Can’t go wrong wit the contender either, I believe I’m around 16 different barrels T/C, Bullberry and SSK. The 375 JDJ to 17 Ackley Bee. Super fun guns!
30048C99-0CC0-41CF-A1AC-E4BEBE859E2A.jpeg

TCR in 7mm-08

Another cool option is the TCR if you can find one, they are sweet little rifles and also swap barrel. I have both the std and mag receivers. Can’t go wrong wit the contender either, I believe I’m around 16 different barrels T/C, Bullberry and SSK. The 375 JDJ to 17 Ackley Bee. Super fun guns!
View attachment 500810
TCR in 7mm-08
How sweet would a TCR be in 450/400?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you